What's new

Black Tea Recommendations

By default, in the British Isles, a cup of tea will be black tea.

Punjana
Taylor's Yorkshire Gold
Twining's Assam
Twining's English Breakfast
Bewlay's Irish Brakfast
Ridgway's Imperial Blend
Co-op Indian Prince
PG Tips
Teltley Extra Strong

Except for the Assam, all of the above contain a blend of malty Assam with bright Kenya teas

Just a drop of milk will do nicely, thank you

Earl Grey is weak wimpy stuff but each to your own.

It is short on flavor, but man what a heavenly scent! One of the nicest smells on earth IMO.

It's one of the few teas that is really complimentary with honey. Honey overpowers most tea IME, but it seems to work well with EG.

Well, for one reason or other, I wasn't able to get the tea. They were out of it in loose leaf. But they did have Lapsang, which looked like a black tea and smelled interesting. I'm not sure about the spelling. Is this a good tea to also sample?

It's not fair to condemn Earl Grey that easy, there is certainly a time and a place for it. Remember, no milk, slice of lemon.

Assam was the tea I grew up drinking but recently my mother-in-law has introduced me to Lipton Yellow Label (teabags) They are OK but not worth the hassle of trying to find them. She says I should take it black no sugar (which is hilarious as she likes her tea so weak) but I've always liked milky sweet tea so I'm back to Assam again.

I've also tried something bizarre from the Edinburgh shop where I get my coffee. But to me it tastes weird.

That's Assam as my loose-leaf choice. As for teabags:
Taylor's Of Harrogate Yorkshire Gold.

Didn't like it at first but then I got into it big time and realised how nice it was.

Well, for one reason or other, I wasn't able to get the tea. They were out of it in loose leaf. But they did have Lapsang, which looked like a black tea and smelled interesting. I'm not sure about the spelling. Is this a good tea to also sample?

Lapsang Souchong is a tea which is withered over pine (or sometimes other wood) fires. It has a strong smoky taste - either love it or hate it. Personally, I am in the latter camp. Don't add anything too it - just brew it with boiling water for 4 minutes or so and enjoy.

While the subject is tea, I have a question. Does it discolor the teeth? I have noticed that it stains my tea-cup a tannin like color, and it takes a squitr of clo2 to get it out. What do you think tea drinkers? Or even better, what do you know about it.

While the subject is tea, I have a question. Does it discolor the teeth? I have noticed that it stains my tea-cup a tannin like color, and it takes a squitr of clo2 to get it out. What do you think tea drinkers? Or even better, what do you know about it.

It sure does. I use a Sonicare, so it generally isn't a huge problem, but it will definitely discolor your teeth, especially the inner surfaces.

That reminds me of an incident at my Grandmother's house. One of my Uncles is a regular tea drinker, usually a single cup in the afternoons. He has a dedicated white porcelain cup for it that does color up over time from the tea. His wife decided that she was going to remove that brown stain, so she filled it with bleach.

It turned blue! :blink:

When my Uncle saw it, he kept shouting "Who poisoned my cup?"

It’s a very superficial stain on non-porous stuff – the particles are large. A swipe with baking soda will clear it from a mug.

Regular tooth brushing will keep your teeth from staining. Most discoloration is of the plaque and not the enamel. Keep in mind that tooth color is largely genetic and they can only get as white as this allows.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'm just waiting for another name calling pu-ehr war to start here. :blink:

The latest Earl Grey tea that I'm trying out is the Market District Earl Grey with Rose Petals, sold by Giant Eagle. The tea bags are the mesh style sachets. I'm pleasantly surprised with this tea, which I sweeten with some Blue Agave Sweetener.

Where to you buy your Agave? Is Agave nectar the same as agave sweetner?

It’s a very superficial stain on non-porous stuff – the particles are large. A swipe with baking soda will clear it from a mug.

I think that's probably safer than using clo2 (even though I only apply a slight spray from an atomizer and add enough delute that by adding enough water to reach the top of the cup) Anyway, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

I can definitely recommend any loose leaf tea that you can buy from A Southern Season, mainly because they have TONS of their own brand and imports as well. Whole Foods is another great place to get tea from. If you ever drop by A Southern Season around Christmas time, I highly recommend picking up their brand of seasonal Rooibos tea labelled "Nutcracker Sweet." Nutty, sweet, and incredibly delicious. It's like you're eating a handful of walnuts and pecans.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It is short on flavor, but man what a heavenly scent! One of the nicest smells on earth IMO.

It's one of the few teas that is really complimentary with honey. Honey overpowers most tea IME, but it seems to work well with EG.

When I was a teenager, I loved Twinings Earl Grey, but my dad couldn't stand it ... seems a buddy of his served him lemon tea once, when my dad had the flu, and spent the whole night throwing up with lemon tea on his breath ... so an unfortunate association. Try as I might to explain the difference between bergamont (which is in EG) and lemon (which isn't), he still won't touch the stuff.

But now EG tastes too soapy to me, so I don't drink it much.

Lapsang Souchong is a tea which is withered over pine (or sometimes other wood) fires. It has a strong smoky taste - either love it or hate it. Personally, I am in the latter camp. Don't add anything too it - just brew it with boiling water for 4 minutes or so and enjoy.

I'm in the other camp. Really like Lapsang, usually in my Russian Caravan mix. I didn't know about the fire withering. (Scotto ... what doesn't he know??) You may love the stuff or hate it ... but you should try it!!

Ok, I picked up some Southern Season's version of Keemum and Russian Caravan and Grace Rare Tea's Lapsang Souchong. Yowza! That stuff IS smokey! I can't wait to try the other two teas later tonight. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Where to you buy your Agave? Is Agave nectar the same as agave sweetner?

Trader Joe's carries it.

Hmmm........ margaritas tonight!

I couldn't find it at my local Trader Joe's and they had never heard of it. I got it at Whole Foods. There is a light and also a dark amber one. Next time I'm there I'll pick up the dark amber one and see if there is a stronger flavor to it. To me, the light tastes like pure sugar.

The product description is "light agave nectar from the weber azul." One appeal to the product is that it is a low glycemic sweetener for those who have to concern themselves with that.

Top Bottom