What's new

Knockoff Colognes

I see the displays in drug stores and general merchandise stores and it brought up the questions.

What knockoff cologne have you used?

What was the name of the cologne and what was the brand that it said it smelled like?

How much did it cost?

Most of the Perry Ellis 360 colors are blatant knockoffs of some famous scent. White is a direct copy of Le Male by Gaultier, and I hear Red is based off an aquatic - maybe Cool Water or something similar.

Controversial Statement Alert: I always quietly (not so much now) felt that the original Polo was a bit of a rip-off of Yatagan.

Last edited:
I think OP is actually talking about the scents that literally market themselves as "Smells just like JOOP" or "Smells just like Polo."

Many of us in this forum know which name designer scents smell like other pricier scents.

There is a company or companies that sell scents in bottles that literally says what it smells "just like" on the label. I haven't seen them in awhile.

I bought some 'Black Extreme' from Dollar General a few weeks ago. It was their version of Polo Black. It smells nothing like Polo Black, but was a good scent anyway. It was more in the Tommy Hilfiger family, without the 'greasy' smelling drydown. Not much longevity, but for $4 it was worth it. Combined really well with 4711

Went yesterday to the Dollar Tree and bought the Jean Phillipe Paris version of Armani Code, Polo Blue, and Cool Water. I haven't had a chance to test them. I report back in after I do.

I have plenty of name brand scents, but I like to find el cheapos that I can wear to work, etc. I sometimes feel it's wasteful to wear T&H to work in a room by myself for 8 hours. :biggrin1:

I use the Designer Imposters Mascolino and U You body sprays ("compare" lol to ADG and Ck1). Hey, these are hyped up deodorants, but I think Designer Imposters tries to actually get them right. The Macolino actually has a bit of staying power.

I considered the real Ck1 basically a deodorant back in the day, I don't see any reason to spend the money on Ck1 cologne when I want to smell like the masses.

As Cole points out Designer Imposters makes cologne versions too, which I would guess are stronger and more lasting, however, I've never tried them. I do know that the body sprays sell pretty well.

I'm going to anticipate this question: But who wants to smell like the masses? Answer: When doing double secret detective work, it helps to fit in. And also, you don't want to draw attention to yourself on public transportation. :lol:

Last edited:
I bought some 'Black Extreme' from Dollar General a few weeks ago. It was their version of Polo Black. It smells nothing like Polo Black, but was a good scent anyway. It was more in the Tommy Hilfiger family, without the 'greasy' smelling drydown. Not much longevity, but for $4 it was worth it. Combined really well with 4711

I bought some of the same and my wife really appreciates the scent. I also paid $4 for the Polo Black knock-off. Thought about buying some more as I saw they have about 4 bottles left in the clearance section.

In one of my recent treks through the shaving/fragrance ailses of my local WalMart, I stumbled upon a cologne called "Eau G" which is a clone of...(wait for it...) Aqua di Gio. At around $8 for about a 100 ml bottle, it's not bad, if somewhat vacuous. It reminds me of the now-defunct Brut Revolution, and has surprising longevity for the price.

It's made by some company in Rouse's Point, NY, which is JUST over the US/Canada border at the tip of Lake Champlain, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was some kind of pseudo-import, with the company address just a shell corporation to save taxes/duty.

Well, I tried a couple of the Dollar Tree clones last night and I was not impressed ('armani code' and 'cool water'). The Armani Code was plain awful and the Cool Water was slightly better, but not by much. Very weird dry down. I'm not sure what I was smelling but the base was pretty unpleasant.

I still have the Polo Blue to try. I'll check back in when I try that one.

Anyway, what can you expect for a dollar?

I bought some of the same and my wife really appreciates the scent. I also paid $4 for the Polo Black knock-off. Thought about buying some more as I saw they have about 4 bottles left in the clearance section.
Yes the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is always critical for those of you who are married.

I bought some "Tatooed" from Dollar General which is supposed to, and somewhat does, resemble Ed Hardy. It was $4 also.

Last edited:
Yes the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is always critical for those of you who are married.

I've found it critical to let her smell it before she knows what it is. My wife's nose is very much pricetag dependent. If she determines that she likes it before she sees what it is though, everyone wins :thumbup1:

This was how I introduced her to the Vi Jon Spice. She likes it, and for under two bucks a bottle, so does my wallet.

I have some of the Dollar Tree Jean Phillipe Paris that is supposed to smell like Cool Water. I have no idea what actual Cool Water is supposed to smell like, but I find the clone to be pleasant. :tongue_sm

For $1, and some change, it's hard not to give these a try. :biggrin1:

I went back and tried the Jean Phillippe Paris clones again over the holidays. I have to recant my previous statement on the 'Cool Water'. It acutally is pretty decent. I also tried the Polo Blue one. I could see myself wearing that one pretty regularly. I also tried the Armani Code, but that scent is just not for me.

About a month ago I found a Nautica knockoff I hadn't seen before in a Dollarish store (everything was [email protected]). The first time I tried it, I thought it was the most awful thing ever! It smelled exactly like an old womans perfume for it's entire duration. Being the pack rat I am, I just sat it in the window of my bathroom and forgot about it. When I was trying the other dollar colognes, I gave this one another shot. Miraculously, it smelled great. I don't know if the direct sunlight killed off the offending note, or if I was just having a bad nose day the first go around, but this one is a winner.

Also bought a Hugo Boss clone from them that was pretty good. It went on more like what Hugo Boss smells like after drying down. I gave this to my 15yo brother in law, as I already have the real thing.

I have some of the Dollar Tree Jean Phillipe Paris that is supposed to smell like Cool Water. I have no idea what actual Cool Water is supposed to smell like, but I find the clone to be pleasant. :tongue_sm

For $1, and some change, it's hard not to give these a try. :biggrin1:

The JPP "Cool Water" is actually descent, but it doesn't come close to being able to compare to the real thing. I use the knockoff for work, and save the good stuff for going out etc.

I also have a limited edition Cool Water called "Cool Summer" that is almost better than the origional. Each summer Davidoff puts out a limited edition Cool Water. This ones the best so far. Stay away from the 2010 edition "Cool Summer Fizz". Although all Cool Water is citrus-based, this one smells of nothing but very strong LIMES. Been wearing Cool Water for like 17 years now, definately loved by the female species. :^D

Last edited:
Stopped by Dollar Tree again and picked up the Tommy Hilfiger clone. Again pretty good, but not as good as the original. I think i finally figured out what was throwing me off. The ingredients show a different type of alcohol, than other AS and colognes I use. I think that accounts for the initial 'stink' that I was detecting. Once the alcohol evaporates, you get more of the actual scent. I think I'm done with the Dollar tree brand though. 4 is enough. :lol:

Top Bottom