What's new

Got two bottles of LV..they are different colors?

Has anyone else had the color of Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal fade after a long time? I was going through the local stores today trying to track down a few pucks of VDH Select, and happened to find two bottles of LV at one store. Naturally, because one is good and two is better, I bought both. One thing I noticed is that both are in identical bottles and have identical labels, but one is the proper greenish color and the other one is clear. Has anyone else had this happen over time, or is it due to something else?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Has anyone else had the color of Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal fade after a long time? I was going through the local stores today trying to track down a few pucks of VDH Select, and happened to find two bottles of LV at one store. Naturally, because one is good and two is better, I bought both. One thing I noticed is that both are in identical bottles and have identical labels, but one is the proper greenish color and the other one is clear. Has anyone else had this happen over time, or is it due to something else?

I've seen them paler in color but never clear.
How's it smell?

Just doesn't seem like modern Veg without the Puke Green color, :lol:

Haven't opened that bottle yet. I opened the green one, and am still trying to figure out what I think of the scent. I don't know if I could even give a fair comparison between the two right now.

Nasal damage from the first bottle? :tongue_sm

Yea, a bit. I don't get the cat pee scent that some complain of, but right now it seems a bit feminine for me. Clubman took a while to grow on me also, so I plan on giving it a fair chance.

Is the tamper-proof plastic seal on the cap intact?

There was a post a while back about seeing two different Veg labels with different juice inside. I can't seem to find it, but maybe there are some "transition" bottles that have old/new labels with new/old Veg.

Actually, I need to kind of change what I said earlier about the colors. I just looked at them again and one is more the color of Clubman, kind of golden but a little lighter, and the other is a very light green, similar to the color of the label. I don't know how I screwed that up. I noticed the color difference in the store, and I guess was still concentrating on finding the soap. When I wrote this post, I was thinking it was one green and one clear. It's more like one's golden(ish) and one's green. I'll take a photo in a bit and post it.

OK here are the photos. Notice that the label on the bottle with the lighter liquid is also a light shade of green and the label looks faded.

I have a new bottle of Special Reserver that's a bit different in color than the old stuff. But I've never seen anything like that. The labels look like a they're a little different shade too. Crack it open and see how it smells. Fortes fortuna adiuvat!

Also, if you're trying LV for the first time, don't judge the scent on how it smells out of the bottle, or even how it smells when you first splash it on. Give it a few minutes to settle down.

My WAG would be, based on the fading of the label and security strip, that the lighter bottle had been stored or displayed somewhere in direct sun for a good long time. What that might have done to the Veg is anyone's guess, but most agree that UV is the enemy of most scents. On things like the Veg or MANDOM, however, I'm sure that all that sun would just annoy them a bit!

My WAG would be, based on the fading of the label and security strip, that the lighter bottle had been stored or displayed somewhere in direct sun for a good long time. What that might have done to the Veg is anyone's guess, but most agree that UV is the enemy of most scents. On things like the Veg or MANDOM, however, I'm sure that all that sun would just annoy them a bit!

The odd thing is that the faded bottle is the one with the "correct" color liquid in it. The other bottle doesn't even look to be a shade of green.

I opened the other one earlier, and put one on one forearm, and the other on the other forearm. They both smell the same, both before and after the dry down.

EDIT: Yet another observation. The labels are completely different labels. They have all the same text on them, but on the darker one the text has a heavier weight to it and some of it is actually a tiny bit larger.

Last edited:
My personal opinion is that somehow, someway, you managed to get your hands on a bottle of LV that slipped thru a portal to an alternate reality where the formula of LV is the same, but the color is wildly different.

My personal opinion is that somehow, someway, you managed to get your hands on a bottle of LV that slipped thru a portal to an alternate reality where the formula of LV is the same, but the color is wildly different.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm almost tempted to email Pinaud to see if they'd respond.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm almost tempted to email Pinaud to see if they'd respond.

Dear Sir:

Thank you for taking the time to write us concerning our well-loved product, Lilac Vegetal. Unfortunately, we have no record of any LV closely resembling what you have described. We kindly suggest you think twice before purchasing your LV while visiting the Twilight Zone.

Sincerely,

Pinaud

Top Bottom