What's new

Fight No More for USC

That hammer fall was a long-time coming. Unfortunately, it will be the current and future student atheletes who suffer the majority of the penalty. How can coaches like Carroll and Calipari get a free pass. It would seem to be appropriate for at least some of the penalty to follow the coachs/ADs.

Can anyone think of a more fair punishment? I agree that this is going to impact people in no way involved with the scandal (i.e. the current crop of players), but what else could they do?

I think that everyone saw this coming. Or something like it, at least. Pete Caroll had avoided NFL vacancies for years and suddenly he jets off to the god awful Seahawks?

Can anyone think of a more fair punishment? I agree that this is going to impact people in no way involved with the scandal (i.e. the current crop of players), but what else could they do?

I think that everyone saw this coming. Or something like it, at least. Pete Caroll had avoided NFL vacancies for years and suddenly he jets off to the god awful Seahawks?

I read an editorial about this today that I felt had a better idea for punishment. Since USC has to vacate all the wins for this time, they should also have to return all of the revenues that they generated from tv, tickets, bowl money etc.

Great idea. Giving back revenues hits the institution where it hurts. Taking away wins and punishing current and former players who did nothing wrong is all show.

It's an all right idea, but how do we know the revenue isn't being used for positive things: teacher and faculty salaries, facility renovations, etc.?

I don't know much about college sports or how revenue is generated or where it's spent. It seems very unfair to me that young kids who are pursuing their dream are going to be stiffed because of rules broken by a bunch of crooked adults.

I'm not saying that the punishment is perfect, but it meets the goal of punishing their sports program.

I think the perspective of punishing future players is a good one but the ones who should be to blame for is the SC program despite the coaches not being there anymore. Their is no doubt that the school and boosters knew what was going on.

I can, fine past players and coaches and make the fines so huge that it scares people. The ones who committed the crimes. I won't be crying if Reggie Bush would have to donate 15-20 million for scholarships of other athletes.

It's an all right idea, but how do we know the revenue isn't being used for positive things: teacher and faculty salaries, facility renovations, etc.?

I don't know much about college sports or how revenue is generated or where it's spent. It seems very unfair to me that young kids who are pursuing their dream are going to be stiffed because of rules broken by a bunch of crooked adults.

who aren't there anymore...

I can, fine past players and coaches and make the fines so huge that it scares people. The ones who committed the crimes. I won't be crying if Reggie Bush would have to donate 15-20 million for scholarships of other athletes.

yessir!

You could argue that money was in effect stolen because USC cheated to get it. If money is stolen how can you argue that the it shouldn't be returned because it was spent "wisely." The schools that didn't cheat could have benefited from this extra revenue.

Most if not all the revenue generated by athletic programs is put back into those programs; high overhead.

As with performance enhancing substances, cheating is rampant because there is no incentive to detect but there are rewards for evading detection; can anyone say "to the victors belong the spoils" i.e. money to be made in winning programs not in being losers. Can't play fair, confiscate the revenue generated and ban the institution's program(s) but that won't ever happen.

Amateur athletics is a contradiction in terms; show me a program that doesn't cheat and I will show you one that hasn't been caught--yet.

I think a more fair punishment to the program (in addition to vacating the wins to include the National Championship in '04) would be to allow USC to compete in Bowl Games, but not collect revenue associated with post season play. I think this punishes the program/University, but still allows the players (some who were in middle school at the time) to compete in the treasured bowl games.

Tangentially related to this is the question: What takes the NCAA so long? I know the allegations didn't surface until long after Bush left USC and that they wanted to "cross their T's", but how can it realistically take this long? These aren't felonious cimes; they're NCAA violations.

I read an editorial about this today that I felt had a better idea for punishment. Since USC has to vacate all the wins for this time, they should also have to return all of the revenues that they generated from tv, tickets, bowl money etc.

THAT is the only way to address this chicanery that's going on in college athletics. The incentives are too great to cheat.

I'm thinking this cataclysmic realignment scenarios the PAC-10 and Big Ten are rumored to be pursuing might turn off a lot of fans, because it will make it look like professional sports, and if people like professional sports they'd probably prefer it at its highest level (MLB, NFL, NBA, etc.)

Top Bottom