What's new

Well, I hated to do it, but...

proxy.php

...had to give this little stinker a haircut. It was a NOS Ever-Ready with a boar knot but for the life of me I could not get it de-funked. Tried everything and while the smell got a little better, it never went away to a tolerable level.... I couldn't even place what it smelled like. Not normal animal funk, that is for sure.

I already have a nice Fuller at home with a boar knot that is breaking in nicely and a Hoffritz with a badger (such a nice brush, my favorite right now). I don't really need another brush but I love the swirled marble look of this one. :001_wub: And I wanted one that has a longer handle than the Hoffritz.

The hole is 22mm, so I am guessing a 20mm knot? This is the one I am thinking of picking up: Golden Nib Finest

Love the licorice swirl base on that one.

Yep 20mm Finest will do you nicely. Best bang for buck knot that Tony sells either in fan or bulb !!! :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about your problems with the boar brush. You have quite a nice handle and it will go well with the Golden Nib.

Thanks all :001_smile

I will go ahead and order up the 20mm... and will post pics when it's done :thumbup1:

I like the handle on that one, I have never seen one that color.

The TGN finest will look nice in that Handle.

Looking forward to seeing the finished brush.

Damn shame to hear about the funk. Boar should get a nice boar replacement though, IMO.

I thought about that for a long time as I did originally want to put boar back in there... but here is why I ended up not doing that: I already have a House of Fuller boar that is starting to break in nicely. I also have my grandfather's old shaving brush which I was thinking about re-knotting as well, but with boar. I did not want to have 3 boar brushes, so the Ever-Ready will be badger. That way I have 2 boar and 2 badger... nice and even :thumbup1:

Here are pics of the House of Fuller and my grandfather's brush... by the way, anyone have any idea what it might be? I don't see any brand markings on it at all.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Post pics of the restored Hoffritz too; I'd love to know more about those brushes (and razors for that matter) :001_smile

Well the Hoffritz is not a restore, it retains its original badger knot. I'd love to find out more about them too, but can't find any info. Really nice brush though... has decent backbone but the tips have a very soft touch. If anyone knows the model or who actually manufactured it, I'd appreciate the info. Here is a pic:

proxy.php

I thought about that for a long time as I did originally want to put boar back in there... but here is why I ended up not doing that: I already have a House of Fuller boar that is starting to break in nicely. I also have my grandfather's old shaving brush which I was thinking about re-knotting as well, but with boar. I did not want to have 3 boar brushes, so the Ever-Ready will be badger. That way I have 2 boar and 2 badger... nice and even :thumbup1:

Ah! Se, I think the secret of having different boars is making sure they're all difefrently sized, so they're not too similar to one another. I've got 3 in solid rotation (Semogues LE '09, 830 and 620), with a couple other boars out of the way, gathering dust.

Ok Klarion, you win. :laugh:

Well, here is what happened... I popped the 20mm finest in there and while it looked good, something just wasn't quite right. I ordered up a couple more knots; a 22mm Super and 20mm UK 3 band boar to try out. Figured maybe the knot looked too small, but when I tried the 22mm, I still didn't "love" it. I originally bought the boar knot for my grandfather's old handle, but when I popped the 20mm finest in there instead... WOW, looked right at home! Tried the boar in the Ever-Ready and I think that is where it belongs. :thumbup1: I think it is just the shape of the handles. The little stubby handle complements the bulb of the badger and the lines of the Ever-Ready do the same for the boar.

So, here are a couple of pics for you. First the Ever-Ready, then my grandfather's handle where the 20mm finest is now at home.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Those are the "right" picks. I was sure the EverReady needed a Finest...but that boar is the knot for sure.

Your GrandFathers could not be more perfect with that extra stuffed Finest.

Both unique handles and now superb restores.

No problem....glad to have been in on it.

Nice photos BTW...that splashed background is a nice compliment to the brushes.

Top Bottom