What's new

Cleaning rust(?) on gold plated(?) razor

Hi,
I have a Gillette Tech razor in gold color which has red-yellowish spots which I believe is rust. I tried hot water, soap, oil and applying force and only the last one works to a degree for cleaning. How can I clean it? Thanks.

could the spots be spots of lacquer, which i understand took on a reddish-orangey hue? acetone, i have been told, will remove the lacquer.

Once the clear coat has turned the orangish brown color there nothing to do but strip the razor.
I use oven clean on the NEW heads I strip.
I picked up my Toggle for $45 because it was all brown and had lousy pictures, I stripped the finish and it looked great.

Once the clear coat has turned the orangish brown color there nothing to do but strip the razor.
I use oven clean on the NEW heads I strip.
I picked up my Toggle for $45 because it was all brown and had lousy pictures, I stripped the finish and it looked great.

So you stripped all the (gold) plating? How is it now?

I'm not sure if the handle will be cleaned with acetone (I hope it will work on head) so please eloborate on your method.

Last edited:
So you stripped all the (gold) plating? How is it now?

I'm not sure if the handle will be cleaned with acetone (I hope it will work on head) so please eloborate on your method.

The oven cleaner strips the clear coat not the gold plating.
Gold is a noble metal and resistant to most acids.

Acetone is lacquer thinner. It will help remove old lacquer. Hot soapy water helps loosen old clear-coat too. Acetone will not remove any metal, gold or otherwise.

Acetone is lacquer thinner. It will help remove old lacquer. Hot soapy water helps loosen old clear-coat too. Acetone will not remove any metal, gold or otherwise.

Not everybody has acetone or lacquer thinner in their garage, but most people have oven cleaner in their kitchen.
Often that old orange finish is so old and hard nothing will dissolve it.
In Between combs of the NEW heads the only way to remove the old orange crust is to either burn it off or use a flat needle file.

Not everybody has acetone or lacquer thinner in their garage, but most people have oven cleaner in their kitchen.
Often that old orange finish is so old and hard nothing will dissolve it.
In Between combs of the NEW heads the only way to remove the old orange crust is to either burn it off or use a flat needle file.

Agree 100%. YMMV as far as removing old clear finishes. Sometimes they just slide off in hot soapy water. Sometimes glass beads just bounce off. I have vintage saxophones which have lacquer on them which does not yield to any solvent I can find, including brush cleaner and paint remover.

Agree 100%. YMMV as far as removing old clear finishes. Sometimes they just slide off in hot soapy water. Sometimes glass beads just bounce off. I have vintage saxophones which have lacquer on them which does not yield to any solvent I can find, including brush cleaner and paint remover.

I'm not sure whether lacquer is the proper term.
I think Gillette use different formulas over the years.
The finish on the Milords and TTO Aristocrats comes off easily most of the time, but on the old 3 piece razors sometimes only physical force will remove it.
If your going to replate anyway like I am with the NEW heads a dremel with a wire wheel will remove the clear coat and the gold plate easily.

Should I look for this:

proxy.php

Hi,
I have a Gillette Tech razor in gold color which has red-yellowish spots which I believe is rust. I tried hot water, soap, oil and applying force and only the last one works to a degree for cleaning. How can I clean it? Thanks.

You can soak it in acetone for a couple of days, the oven cleaner thing will work too, depends on what you have. The gold was clear coated with a lacquer finish, it's what they used to use at the factory in the old days but don't know what brand it was. The re-plater here in Mass. uses a clear lacquer coating over the gold when he replates mine and I have had no trouble with them.

You can soak it in acetone for a couple of days, the oven cleaner thing will work too, depends on what you have. The gold was clear coated with a lacquer finish, it's what they used to use at the factory in the old days but don't know what brand it was. The re-plater here in Mass. uses a clear lacquer coating over the gold when he replates mine and I have had no trouble with them.

So should I soak it in oven cleaner for a couple of days? I tried rubbing it with oven cleaner but no success..

So should I soak it in oven cleaner for a couple of days? I tried rubbing it with oven cleaner but no success..

I use "Easy Off" in the spray can, I spray it on, it foams up on the razor, I let sit for about 15 minutes then rinse.
All the orange should come right off.

Hiya,

Here's an extreme example of the lacquer turning color. This is my 1955 Diplomat in near mint condition. I know the pics aren't good ones, but this razor shows very little signs of use. You can easily see the rainbow effect, but I'm sure the gold underneath is untouched. Both the handle and the area underneath the head are normal gold color.

Martin

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether lacquer is the proper term.
I think Gillette use different formulas over the years.

Lacquer is not usually actual lacquer. Actual lacquer is nitrocellulose. When pure, it is called straight lacquer. The term lacquer is now used on the labels of almost any clear topcoat, or translucent color coat.

Hiya,

Here's an extreme example of the lacquer turning color. This is my 1955 Diplomat in near mint condition. I know the pics aren't good ones, but this razor shows very little signs of use. You can easily see the rainbow effect, but I'm sure the gold underneath is untouched. Both the handle and the area underneath the head are normal gold color.

Martin

So can you clean it?

I have a spray oil cleaner also. This burns my hands but no effect to the razor :mad3:

I will try acetone tomorrow but I'm not optimistic..

Top Bottom