What's new

Which one would YOU get?

So, as a newer DE shaver I am planning to acquire a new Razor from WCS in the very new future. I have a ball end gold Tech I picked up in the BST here, and am loving shaving with it. I have been wanting a Merkur 34C HD for quite a long time, and had every intention of getting one for Fathers Day, but I am also now considering a 38C Barber Pole. I've read the reviews, and both seem to get good press.

Side Note: This will be probably my only NEW razor for quite some time, and I really love the look/size of the Barber Pole as compared to the regular HD. I'm still torn between Red or Blue if I go with the 38.

So, I'd just like to hear opinions from more seasoned wetshavers on the pros/cons of going with the 38 Barber Pole instead of the 34 HD before committing to either one?

Have you tried shaving with a razor that has an extended handle before? If you can, you really should try one out before you buy.

In my experience, the balance/weight/feel of such razors is very different than the standard handle length. In fact, I much prefer the standard length as I feel I have more control over the shave, blade angle, aggressiveness, etc.

But this is totally a YMMV thing. Aesthetics aside (I like the way the barber pole looks too), there is no right answer to this. You may prefer the extended handle. The point is try before you buy (if you can).

Have fun!

They are essentially the same except the extra length and heft. I found the 34 to be too short for my tastes so I would go with the 38. However, I would get the chrome 38, not the red or blue--from anecdotes I understand the red or blue handles are slippery when wet--I can't confirm this myself but this is something to consider because there is nothing more annoying than a slippery handle on a razor.

I own a 38C barber poll. I do like the extra long handle and it never slips. But the extra weight of the handle does make the razor feel unbalanced....instead of the weight of the head doing the work, the weight of the poll does as you drag the razor across your face.

I don't have any other new razors to compare it to. The rest of my razors are old Gillettes, which (in my opinion) shave better than my 38C. Also, I find my 38C is more prone to nick me than any of my vintage Gillettes.

If I were you I would check out the EJ DE89L. It combines a similiar (not exact) HD head type and a longer handle like a Parker. Plus it has impeccable craftsmanship that you won't find in an HD. It's basically an HD done better (and cheaper).

Here is a link to a thread where you can get the EJ DE89L shipped to your door for less than $27.00.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150559

Having bought both hopefully I can add to the discussion. I'm 6 ft. with big hands but dexterous. My first new razor was a 38c and while I found it to be good, I could not bring myself to call it great for me. So a few months later I picked up a 34c and found out what the buzz was about. Once again, for me, I found the 34c too be noticeably more nimble. You may come to a totally different conclusion. My career and training most likely play a part in my perceptions as they most likely will for you.

Good luck with your choice and enjoy the adventure.

Another vote for the DE89L. It's one of the best razors I've ever used at any price. Had I known, I would have bought one first and skipped the RAD. I'm enjoying the collection, but the DE89L ends up in my hand more than anything else.

I really enjoy the looks of the Merkur 38C but the length is just a bit too much for me. In comparison I have tried shaving with a Gillette Blue Star and found the extra length to be not to my liking. I do like the razor but it is seldom in my rotation.

My choice would be the 34G instead of the chrome model. The gold HD just looks awesome.

If I were you I would check out the EJ DE89L. ...
Here is a link to a thread where you can get the EJ DE89L shipped to your door for less than $27.00.

Nothing against our brothers across the pond, but the same razor can be had from QEDusa.com (in Rhode Island) for $28.

No worries regarding the fluctuations of international currencies, or the uncertainties of international shipping. (Although shipping from UK to USA is usually pretty reliable.) Here's the link:

http://www.qedusa.com/edwin-jagger-edwin-jagger-chrome-razor-p-275.html

I have a ball end gold Tech I picked up in the BST here, and am loving shaving with it.

You got a Tech!!! ..you don't need anything else! :tongue_sm

I'm also new to DE Shaving and love the Tech. Get some feather blades if you don't already use them and you'll be in for a great shave! If you absolutely must get a new razor, then I'd have to go with the majority and get the Edwin Jagger DE89L. I don't have one so I can't comment about it, but just do a search on these boards for that razor and you'll see that no one has anything bad to say about it. It's on my "to get" list! :001_smile

If I were you I would check out the EJ DE89L. It combines a similiar (not exact) HD head type and a longer handle like a Parker. Plus it has impeccable craftsmanship that you won't find in an HD. It's basically an HD done better (and cheaper).

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150559

Thanks for the tip! Would never have considered anything else otherwise!

Another vote for the DE89L. It's one of the best razors I've ever used at any price. Had I known, I would have bought one first and skipped the RAD. I'm enjoying the collection, but the DE89L ends up in my hand more than anything else.

Thanks for the information

You got a Tech!!! ..you don't need anything else! :tongue_sm

I'm also new to DE Shaving and love the Tech. Get some feather blades if you don't already use them and you'll be in for a great shave! If you absolutely must get a new razor, then I'd have to go with the majority and get the Edwin Jagger DE89L. I don't have one so I can't comment about it, but just do a search on these boards for that razor and you'll see that no one has anything bad to say about it. It's on my "to get" list! :001_smile

Yes, after learning of it in this thread I have researched it extensively through the search function, and am leaning towards it more and more over the Merkur. Not to say I will not one day have a Merku or three, but I am thinking it very well may be a DE89L for my first new one.

Thanks for all the responses everyone! :thumbup:

Get this razor from WCS. You won't regret.

+1 (or more).

I have the R89 and the 34G (gold version of the HD). I love the R89. The HD and I just do not get along - this after several attempt and q number of blades to find the right approach/combo.

If you like the Tech, the R89 is the next step up. The HD is IMO a different beast.

Top Bottom