What's new

New to Golf HELP!

Japheth, Take a lesson. I'm not kidding, Golf is an incredibly difficult game to master, take a lesson and begin learning the right way instead of ingraining bad habits. You'll thank me later.

LISTEN TO TIMMY> HE IS WISE.

Also, lay off the driver. Lower lofts expose troubled swings. Use the 3W in its place. Same goes for any iron below a 6 for now (unless you need to punch out of a trouble spot to get back in play).

Well the place I golf gives lessons for $20 +$5 for basket of balls

The guy has been Teaching for a long time, he's the same guy that my friend took lessons from when he was a kid.

O', and I used my 3W instead of my diver :crying: But it did do better for me :mellow:

And I may have got Blackfoot addicted to!

Good Work, Man!!

It might feel like taking a step backwards at first, but slowing things down, taking lessons, and limiting your use of clubs to the ones that are more forgiving, will get you started off the right way. That's HUGE!

Pro golfers on the PGA Tour take lessons and lay off hitting certain clubs (when their swings are feeling wonky) all the time.

Blackfoot eh? Let's hope he doesn't shoot as high as he posts...!! LOL

Good Work, Man!!

It might feel like taking a step backwards at first, but slowing things down, taking lessons, and limiting your use of clubs to the ones that are more forgiving, will get you started off the right way. That's HUGE!

Pro golfers on the PGA Tour take lessons and lay off hitting certain clubs (when their swings are feeling wonky) all the time.

Blackfoot eh? Let's hope he doesn't shoot as high as he posts...!! LOL

I was lucky if I could get it to the ladies' Tee. :thumbdown

Use 'em all the time. They help eliminate the side spin us duffers tend to put on the ball.

The "zero friction" tees, and the like, are 100% gimick. The ball is no longer in contact with the tee before it leaves the club face. Any friction caused by the tee is negated by the ball being in contact with the club face. Side spin is caused by the swing (face angle and swing path) not the tee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dG9hb3_blo

About 50ish seconds into the video you can see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
When I took lessons with a local pro in Chicago it took him a week of watching my game before he made any fixes to my swing. I hooked, I sliced, and I diced but what finally got me breaking 90 was when he took me to a indoor range. He laid out perfectly straight lines and teed up a ball in the center of the line. He had me address the ball and follow the line back with my back swing and all the way forward with the forward swing. I hit the ball off the toe of my five iron and almost brought an untimely end to a young girl down the way. However then he gave me the best piece of advice LET THE CLUB DO ALL THE WORK! I had to come to terms that I was not a pro and club speed needed to be sacrificed for accuracy. Finally for irons pretend you are sweeping the grass to make solid contact. Combine the idea of the line, the club doing the work, and of course the sweeping action with your irons and you will save a few strokes.

I haven't played a lot of golf since high school, but when I did, I took some lessons and alot of those swing basics stayed with me until now. I certainly don't have them mastered since I play like once a year now (too expensive here in Northern VA to get back into it too hard) but I can usually play pretty decently when I do.

My advice is not to think about it too much. I obviously am more experienced, but seeing as though I rarely play now, I find my best shots are when I just address the ball, check my aim, and swing. No practice swings or anything. I had friends who were the same way, but we all had quite a bit of course time under our belts.

If you still struggle, just makes sure you are golfing with people you like and a stocked cooler.

This was the advice given to me and it's absolutely correct.

Look at that great set of woods you were planning on buying and write the price down. Take that money and instead buy good wedges with it, and spend the rest on golf lessons. You'll yield 100x usefulness per dollar spent.

I learned an important lesson this weekend. The harder you try to hit the ball, the less distance you'll likely get.

Often very true. Sometimes it may travel a long distance, but do so at nearly a right angle. 250 yards when 200 is straight and 50 are the to the right isn't very useful on most courses.

Top Bottom