What's new

Changed blades: Derbys --> Astra, much improvement!

I've got a beard like steel wool and posted a week or so ago about problems with ingrown hairs, and an inability to go ATG without the razor pulling and hopping and skipping. For my last 2 shaves I decided to change things up a bit and move from the Derby Extras I'd been using to an Astra Superior Platinum.

All I can say is WOW, what a difference. I stuck to the prep I'd been using, a hot shower with my face covered in Proraso Pre-shave, and used my Merkur HD. The Astra cut through my hair significantly easier than the Derby. It was very noticeable on my WTG passes, which I followed with an XTG pass and then stepped up to a combination XTG/ATG pass. This seems to reaffirm that a tough beard calls for a sharper blade. No nicks, no razor burn on my neck! A few days will tell if I get any ingrowns but at this point I'm pretty happy.

I've got a few other blade samples on order so once the Astras are gone I may try a few more :D

I was hesitant of the Astras at first because they are so cheap-- but they really do work remarkably well for the price. Enjoy!

I have found for me that initially Astra's are sharper than Derby's, but after a few shaves, the level of sharpness almost becomes equal of the two; in other words, the Derby tends to remain sharper for a longer period than the Astra, but the Astra starts out stronger/sharper.

The Astras are my blade of choice, as I thought they were much sharper and provided a closer, smoother shave. I am glad you like them as well.

I find the Astra Platinum an excellent blade, better than the Derby EXTRA but not as good as Feather. Much closer to Feather than to Derby for closeness and comfort in a variety of razors.

I have found for me that initially Astra's are sharper than Derby's, but after a few shaves, the level of sharpness almost becomes equal of the two; in other words, the Derby tends to remain sharper for a longer period than the Astra, but the Astra starts out stronger/sharper.

I have the same experience, though I find Astras fall below Derbys pretty fast. I chose an Astra to try out my new Progress this week because I generally consider it a safe choice. My first shave was excellent. I had to toss the blade after the second because it had gotten so dull. It was so bad I considered changing blades after the second pass (and probably should have - ATG was near torture).

I have the same experience, though I find Astras fall below Derbys pretty fast. I chose an Astra to try out my new Progress this week because I generally consider it a safe choice. My first shave was excellent. I had to toss the blade after the second because it had gotten so dull. It was so bad I considered changing blades after the second pass (and probably should have - ATG was near torture).

Astra's were one blade I was considering to be in my top 3, but its lack of longevity has pushed it out of the competition to below 5, so now my top 3 are Feather, Iridium Super, and Israeli Personna (Red) in that order.

I tried the Astra's as well, and found them to be pretty sharp, and definately more than the Derby's.

I didn't find them to be too comfortable though, and are happier with Shark blades now.
To be honest though I am still figuring this all out, so next week I'm moving onto Feather, then Wilkinson, then Crystal and finally Dorco.
Who knows which one I'll like in the end :001_rolle

I tried the Astra's as well, and found them to be pretty sharp, and definately more than the Derby's.

I didn't find them to be too comfortable though, and are happier with Shark blades now.
To be honest though I am still figuring this all out, so next week I'm moving onto Feather, then Wilkinson, then Crystal and finally Dorco.
Who knows which one I'll like in the end :001_rolle

I've got sharks, feathers, iridium, and israeli personna blades coming in the mail next week. Now the problem is I am getting impatient to shave again :001_rolle

Derbys are a good blade but once I tried Astras there was no going back to any other blades.

Astras are sharp, smooth and I get 4 great shaves per blade. Plus I get them for $9/hundred locally.:thumbup1:

Astra's were one blade I was considering to be in my top 3, but its lack of longevity has pushed it out of the competition to below 5, so now my top 3 are Feather, Iridium Super, and Israeli Personna (Red) in that order.

yes but Astra's cost half the price of Feathers..... so it works out the same in the end.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Astra Superior Platinum are excellent blades indeed.
They are very sharp and very smooth.
In terms of quality and performance I compare them to the Red pack Israeli Personna.

I just bought 100 of these ASTRA SUPERIOR PLATINUM blades from Dr.Idiot.

They are a very nice blade and very sharp. Perhaps not as quite as sharp as the Feathers but certainly up there amongst the best.

Price wise they are not much more expensive than Derby's. I'm not knocking Derby's as I also have about 70 of these too but the Astra's just seem so much better overall.

Is the Astra be the poor mans feather? It could very well be!

:thumbup1: for Astra's from me.

Astra's are indeed an excellent blade, I tried Derby's and got a terrible shave but found the Astra a massive improvement. I probably get up to 4 days shaving from each blade.

Top Bottom