What's new

Rooney 1/1 vs. 3/1 in Super

Which would you recommend?

Looking for a good all around brush to work well with both soap and cream (more so soaps). Sometimes bowl lather sometimes face lather. Really would like it to be massaging/exfoliating but still soft on the face. I do prefer a bit longer handle. I have no experience with lofts shorter than 50mm.

1/1

3/1

Very tough call. The 1/1 fits your needs for massage and exfoliation as I found the 3/1 a tad floppier than the the 1/1 (even though some list the specs as the same). But the handle issue remains. The 1/1 (which I still strongly endorse) has a small handle.

I have a 1/1 which I love. I think it's a great all around brush. The handle is a little short though so the 3/1 might be a better choice if you are going to be using your brush to bowl lather at least some of the time. The loft/knot should be very similar if not identical so I think you are fine with getting the 3/1.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm with Joe, the 3/1 I sold was floppier than the 1/1 I kept .. but if you can't abide the shorter handle try & find the shortest lofted 3/1 available ..

The 3/1 will be a better all-round brush. The longer handle will work better in the bowl and is irrelevant when face lathering. Either brush will lather soaps and creams like nobodies business.

Very tough call. The 1/1 fits your needs for massage and exfoliation as I found the 3/1 a tad floppier than the the 1/1 (even though some list the specs as the same). But the handle issue remains. The 1/1 (which I still strongly endorse) has a small handle.

Note: "a tad floppier" on a Rooney brush is still quite firm and dense.

the vintage blades 3/1 has a loft of 48mm or so yet classicshaving advertises their 3/1 as having a 55mm loft. Am I going crazy or is there an actual difference?

would I find a 48mm loft on a 3/1 too floppy? I use a TGN finest set at 50mm and it doesn't seem floppy to me...

I'm with Joe, the 3/1 I sold was floppier than the 1/1 I kept .. but if you can't abide the shorter handle try & find the shortest lofted 3/1 available ..

Seriously? Are we actually using "floppy" and "Rooney" in the same sentence now? :tongue_sm I had a 3/1 in Super and "floppy" was the very last word I would use to describe it.

the vintage blades 3/1 has a loft of 48mm or so yet classicshaving advertises their 3/1 as having a 55mm loft. Am I going crazy or is there an actual difference?

would I find a 48mm loft on a 3/1 too floppy? I use a TGN finest set at 50mm and it doesn't seem floppy to me...

No, you are not seeing things. VB gets the brushes from Rooney with a shorter loft.

EDIT: As you tell from my last post, I am surprised to see the floppy bomb dropped several times in thread about Rooneys. You guys need to get yourself a 60mm+ brush without the density of Rooney to experience floppy :tongue_sm:lol:

Last edited:
No, you are not seeing things. VB gets the brushes from Rooney with a shorter loft.

very nice! For some reason, I can't seem to fathom how a 48mm loft on a rooney that is already known for firmness would be too floppy for me.

would i get the "massaging/exfoliating" properties that I am seeking in said 3/1?

very nice! For some reason, I can't seem to fathom how a 48mm loft on a rooney that is already known for firmness would be too floppy for me.

would i get the "massaging/exfoliating" properties that I am seeking in said 3/1?

What exactly do you mean by "massaging/exfoliating"? I ask because they can mean different things to different people.

Are you looking for a brush with robust/rigid body and soft tips? In my book this is a massaging brush.

Or, are you looking for that really scrubby/sritchy feeling on the face that can only come from tips that are not soft? I consider this to be an exfoliating brush.

NOTE: I'm not trying to pick apart your definitions :)

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Seriously? Are we actually using "floppy" and "Rooney" in the same sentence now? :tongue_sm I had a 3/1 in Super and "floppy" was the very last word I would use to describe it.

I said "floppier", which is a relative term ... :001_rolle

What exactly do you mean by "massaging/exfoliating"? I ask because they can mean different things to different people.

Are you looking for a brush with robust/rigid body and soft tips? In my book this is a massaging brush.

Or, are you looking for that really scrubby/sritchy feeling on the face that can only come from tips that are not soft? I consider this to be an exfoliating brush.

NOTE: I'm not trying to pick apart your definitions :)

I think I'm looking for the first type of brush. Soft tips, but good backbone that makes the tips massage your face because they don't just splay out of the way. I don't think I particularly like scritchy or prickly brushes... I have an Omega Pure that is both somewhat prickly and quite floppy and it is my least used brush. I reach for the TGN finest instead.

I have had my Rooney 3/1 for about one year and still find it to be a great all-around brush for both soaps and creams. Not floppy like a Kent, nor stiff and scrubby like a Pure version. Just flexible and comfortable. For me, the handle size and shape works well, both to hold in the hand and to stay in place when placed in the bowl between applications of lather.

JR

I think I'm looking for the first type of brush. Soft tips, but good backbone that makes the tips massage your face because they don't just splay out of the way. I don't think I particularly like scritchy or prickly brushes... I have an Omega Pure that is both somewhat prickly and quite floppy and it is my least used brush. I reach for the TGN finest instead.

May I recommend a Rooney 1/1 or 3/1? :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, either way you are going to get a great brush that will serve your needs for many years to come. If you order from VB you are either going to get a 44mm loft (1/1) or 48mm loft (3/1) with a densely packed 22mm knot that will massage with the best of them.

Again, the 3/1 handle will serve you better when bowl lathering.

I am leaning more toward a 3/1 because I like the handle more and I think I will appreciate the length of it more. I'm considering emailing VB and seeing if I can get the shortest loft out of the bunch sent to me (I'm sure there must be some variation among individual hand made brushes, right?). The faux horn looks so pretty!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I love my 1/1 (the T+H version that is). It is my absolute favorite brush, period.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm on a budget so I really am thinking hard before making this decision!

Can anyone comment on the differences between a 3/1 in super (48mm loft/22mm knot) vs a custom Shavemac in Finest (21mm knot/47? loft).

obviously besides the shavemac being about 10-15 dollars more expensive...

I'd like to make one semi-expensive brush purchase (dream on I know) for a while and have a daily driver brush that I can be very happy with until I'm ready to do it again...

Eugene -

I received a Rooney 3/1 Super Silvertip just last week for my birthday as a gift from my wife. I absolutely love it! She got it from Vintage Blades, by the way.

Of course, what I like, you may not, but the handle is a great size and the hair is nice and soft. I fully recommend it. To me, it has plenty of backbone, but I'm still getting used to the shape and function of the brush since it's only been a week. From what you said about exfoliating, you may want something a bit "scritchier", as they say. I can't really recommend anything, although I've heard some great things about the Simpsons.

You may want to get checked out, though. It sounds like you're coming down with a case of SBAD. :w00t:

Top Bottom