What's new

Aristocrat with date code or 1951 Executive?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'm a little confused as to whether this is an Aristocrat or Diplomat. I remember once hearing that there are no 50s Aristocrats and Gillette changed the name in 1950. Anyway, it looks just like some of my late Aristocrats but this one has date code W2.

So what gives? What should I call it? Help me, Mr. Razor!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks for any help, folks.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused as to whether this is an Aristocrat or Executive. I remember once hearing that there are no 50s Aristocrats and Gillette changed the name in 1950. Anyway, it looks just like some of my late Aristocrats but this one has date code W3.

So what gives? What should I call it? Help me, Mr. Razor!

Thanks for any help, folks.

The Executive is a rhodium plated 49/50 razor. What do you mean is a Diplomat. I`m not sure. We have seen a President with smooth band, why not a Diplomat with smooth band. Nice find! :thumbup:

Last edited:
Achim is right. Possibly the only clue we would have is if it came with a case. But I think you mean Diplomat, not Executive.

Len

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The Executive is a rhodium plated 49/50 razor. What do you mean is a Diplomat. I`m not sure. We have seen a President with smooth band, why not a Diplomat with smooth band. Nice find! :thumbup:

I meant Diplomat, not Executive. I have one of those too, I don't know why I wrote it! Told you I was confused . . . So it is a Diplomat then, thank you. Unfortunately, no case.

Thanks for the quick answers gents.

Doug, That's a great find. The date code appears to fall outside of both the Aristocrat and Diplomat dates. That's interesting. We seem to find out new things about these razors all the time. The WIKI has the Aristocrat dates ending in 1950 and no date codes and the Diplomat from 1953-1955. So your's is special.

Regards,
Len

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Doug, That's a great find. The date code appears to fall outside of both the Aristocrat and Diplomat dates. That's interesting. We seem to find out new things about these razors all the time. The WIKI has the Aristocrat dates ending in 1950 and no date codes and the Diplomat from 1953-1955. So your's is special.

Regards,
Len

OK then, maybe it's just a really late production Aristocrat, who knows? You are right about finding new items and learning all the time. Cool stuff, you gotta love the history.

I think, gentlemen, that it is actually an Aristocrat, and that production of those ran until 1951. I've had this W1 for quite some time.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

My understanding is the Diplomats had knurling above and below with no smooth sections. Razor gods please confirm?:001_smile

My understanding is the Diplomats had knurling above and below with no smooth sections. Razor gods please confirm?:001_smile

Chris, you're absolutely correct. But this is why the thread was written. The '49-'50 Aristocrat was believed to have ended production in 1950 with no date code. Then one, now two, show up with a 1951 date code and one had to wonder if it could be a Diplomat with one smooth ring and a 1951 date code. A variant of the President was found with one smooth ring about a week ago. Now the evidence presented here indicates the Aristocrat was made into the 3rd quarter of 1951. That is new info for us and contradicts the dates in the WIKI.

And Alex, we are only talking about the non-adjustable Aristocrat.

Regards,
Len

The razor you posted is a 1951 Aristocrat model, 1951 was the last year it was produced in till the line was brought back in 1961. The 1951 model is the only one that had a date code of W2 and there was a rare date code of V2 (from my understanding an experimental date code of some type) on some of the 1950 models. Those are the only 2 models from 1948 - 1951 that had a date code.

There was a Presidents model in 1953 that that has a handle with an upper knurled band and smooth lower band like a 1948-1951 Aristocrat, from what I have read this may have been do to the company trying to use up some remaining handles.

I recently bid on a miss listed 1952 Aristocrat which lead me to dig up this information. I am no expert or anything and am a noob. Just figured I would pass on what I learned.

Top Bottom