What's new

Ever ready model numbers -- post your numbers here

I recently acquired a Ever Ready 1500 (like shown in post #39) that I'm sure is unused. It's a relatively small knot, but marked 'Pure Badger'. It would certainly be considered a silver tip by today's grading standards. Soft, dense and lush, it is simply a lovely brush.

-- John Gehman

I have 4 Ever Ready brushes, that probably date back to the first one I bought in 1963 or so. I think it is the 750 which is on the Right. The next 2 are N40s and the last one on the Left is an R40.

The Left N40 is still being used, and is in good shape. It is a little more prickly than my Simpson Col Best Badger, and not quite as dense. The rest of them are so soft that you really can't make a lather with them except by lathering right on the puck. They all have very soft, fine bristles, but I'm not sure how much is from wear and how much from the original construction.

I believe the R40 was the most expensive and highest quality of the bunch, but I have had all but one of them for a lot of years, and have no idea what they cost new. The worn looking N40 (Right Center) was a fairly recent eBay purchase, but it is a little too soft, and besides the knot it loose.

All of them are Labeled Ever Ready, Pure Badger, Made in USA and the two N40s have the number 6 below the label. The R40 has the number 9.

All but the Left Center N40 are candidates for restoration soon. They all have 21.5 mm holes (more or less)

Last edited:
Just finished restoring this Ever-Ready 75.

Took it completely apart, removed the old knot as it was no good, sanded down the wooden part and repainted it, polished up the metal part as good as possible and then reassembled the lot with a 22 mm Black Badger knot from TGN.

I'm quite satisfied with the result :biggrin1:

Before and after pictures can be found here

Here, I'll just show an after picture

proxy.php

proxy.php

EverReady 100, Green/Cream. Originally boar bristles. Green rubber top, cream plastic bottom, hollow. I did not measure the original boar loft.

Now 20mm two-band Finest Fan set at 45mm.

Here's my contribution. This brush is part of an unused Made in England travel set, known to be 50+ years old.
Model: 573
Handle Design: See picture - chubby?
Type & Grade Hair: Bristle 2 colour
Knot size: 21mm
Loft Height: 45mm
Handle Height: 35mm
Total Height: 80mm
Colour: Orange/Black swirl

In my searches on eBay it seems that the brushes up to 200 are boar. 201-299 are boar/badger. 300+ are badger, nylon or badgerlon. As the numbers go up quality improves for the most part.

IWHC, are you sure that's 573 and not "57B"?

Oh also, I have no idea what it stands for but the "T" Designates the Hourglass shape two colored handles as far as I can tell.

I'm pretty sure that whomever said it earlier was right that the numbers are price codes. E.G. 200 would have sold for $2.00. That fits with the higher numbers being better quality. It would also explain why seemingly identical brushes have different numbers. My bet would be that the price went up. However, the letters do seem to have some significance toward the style. In addition to the "T" code that SliceOfLife pointed out, I've noticed that travel brushes are marked with the letter B.

Hmm, that's a good idea. I'll have to keep my eyes open for badgers under 300 and boars 300+. There is a seller with a brush that looks like a cased, calling it a 500, but I can't see the 500 on the brush in the pics so I asked him to take a picture with focus on it.

edit:

http://www.countryjoescollectiblestuff.com/blue-shv-brush.html

Well there you go. The model number representing the cost is intriguing. I kind of suspect (based on unusual numbers like 47 and 52) that it just is a general representation of placement within their line (higher = better at the time) and not specifically the cost, but I certainly could be wrong.

Here are the ones I own that I think contribute to the thread. Left to right.

300PBT (pure badger hourglass) NIB.

400E (Grade A Pure Badger).

400PB (Pure Badger)

500PB (Pure Badger)

750 (Pure Badger) new old stock, no box

I have a lot more, but they've all already been posted.

Last edited:
:oops: Bah! I'm an idiot. This is what happens when you post before checking your facts. :blushing: I went back to take a look at the travel brushes that I have, and the code is "cc" not "B". I have no I idea where I got the "B" from. Sorry!

Here are a couple that I have in my collection.

Every-Ready 500 - NIB

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Every-Ready 525 - Looks slightly used but is in original box

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

First time poster, great thread!
OK, time to really throw a wrench into things. I just bought a small shaving mug (more about it later) and a cute little brush. While trying to find out about the brush, I ended up here.
The mug is an Old Spice one from the early '50s (or so "The Shaving Shop" says). If this has any bearing on the brush, I don't know. The mug is only about 2 1/2 inches high.
Now, the wrench, er, brush.
It has a red Bakelite handle (dimensions to follow) and is well used. The bristles are curled over (from sitting for a long time, is my guess) and well worn. Base is marked Ever-Ready, MADE IN USA, SET IN RUBBER, STERILIZED, 50 CA
Sorry, no picture yet.

Stats:
-Model number: 50 CA
-Handle design: Curved taper from 36mm at base to 28 mm at top. Base is "knurled" 10 mm up from base.
-Type and grade of hair used: Unknown (light tan with some darker streaks).
-Knot size: 22-24 mm
-Loft height: 45 mm(ish. Hard to tell because of curl and wear.)
-Handle height: 41 mm
-Total height (Loft + Handle): 85 mm(ish)
-Color: Medium red.

I recently acquired a Ever Ready 1500 (like shown in post #39) that I'm sure is unused. It's a relatively small knot, but marked 'Pure Badger'. It would certainly be considered a silver tip by today's grading standards. Soft, dense and lush, it is simply a lovely brush.

-- John Gehman

I'd love to see pics of that brush.

Recently picked up a 500PBM. It's a 500PB with a magnet in the base.

I've noticed the pattern that as numbers go up the knots get a little denser. 300's are pretty loosely packed. 400-500 are a little sparse. 650 is ok. 750's are decent. I wish my 1000 knot was in good enough shape I could judge its density.

Last edited:
Sliceoflife alerted me to this thread, so here's my post!

I have a 750 with box, as shown in the pics below. The brush is "as purchased", NOS. I was originally told that it was silvertip badger, but the box says "pure", so I might have been misled. Thing is, it's mighty soft pure badger. :thumbup1:

Cheers,
Jimmy.

Top Bottom