What's new

So, you want to know.....parts 1-4

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
...how your knot will look at a certain loft? I often get requests for brushes with the knot set to a certain loft. To have an idea how this will eventually look and if this brush that will work, I came up with a couple of gauges to determine the (best) loft and to see how it will look. I use this information to make recommendations to my customers.

I drilled a through-hole in the size I normally would use for this specific knot and took pictures of the knot set at certain lofts.
I have done this so far for the Finest in 20 mm and 22 mm in both the fan and standard (bulb) shape. As one can see, the bulb shape becomes more and more pointed and would not be a good brush for face lathering.

Part one shows the 20 mm Fan shape
Part two will show the 20 mm Bulb shape

Last edited by a moderator:

Rudy Vey

Here are the pictures for the 20 mm Bulb shape. As one can see, the knots gets more and more pointed.
I have also the same set of pictures for the 22 mm knot in both shapes, too bad I can only post 5 pictures per thread. If someone knows how to combine these total of four posts, that would be great.

Rudy Vey

These are the last picture, 22 mm Bulb shaped finest knot. As one can see, the knot get quite pointy, and I do not think this would be a nice brush if set to short lofts.

Thank you for your time on these examples. This is a very resourceful thread. If able to combine all 4 parts, I vote sticky!

Thanks Rudy! I've often wondered what loft to go for next...visualizing is tough...more often it's just trial and error!!!!

We need a moderator to merge these...and then make this into a sticky please!!!

If you have adobe pro or paper port you can combine images into 1 image along with reducing the file size of the image. With these programs you can also write on the pics, draw circles, etc to help get the point across. This is just a response to you asking anyone if they had an idea how to get more images on to the page in part 2.

If you want you can send the pics to me and I can attempt to consolidate the 16 pics into 4 images.

These four posts are very valuable. I do think we need to organize them into a single sticky.

I set an 18mm Grade A silvertip at 42mm and found it kept the pointy bulb look of the low set bulbs....I actually like it very much though. The 20mm Fan set low looks like how I will do my next restore however.

Thanks Rudy.

Thank you, Rudy. Awhile back you were going to show photos of why you believe the fan to be better for face lathering. In light of these excellent photos, could you point out to us why that is? Perhaps it is obvious, but I have not really ever considered what the differences may be. Thanks!

Rudy Vey

Thank you, Rudy. Awhile back you were going to show photos of why you believe the fan to be better for face lathering. In light of these excellent photos, could you point out to us why that is? Perhaps it is obvious, but I have not really ever considered what the differences may be. Thanks!

Check the photos out: you will see how pointed the bulb shape gets when the loft is very short, I think the 22 mm shows this quite well. I think this would be a bit uncomfortable on the face, I prefer the fan shape for face lathering, more hairs are on my face and it is easier to make a lather. I have put some rubber rings on bulb shapes and tried them, but I prefer the fan shape (like the one I just showed in the "Re-handling of a custom brush", or the fan shaped knots available from TGN and surely one of my favorite brush for the face: T+H Ronney 1/1). On the other hand, I like the bulbs when I use creams and a bowl, just my preferences.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
For what it is worth the 44 mm loft visually looks right. I'd be happy with the 47s as well but more than this . . . again visually guessing . . . would be too floppy.

:w00t: Hey...I could have sworn this post was in the brush forum...came home to dig out some of my "to-restore-in-the-future-when-the-bug-hits-me" vintage handles and voila...had to dig around to find it :blushing:

Can this please be made into a sticky in the brush forum where it belongs...this would be invaluable for the majority of the guys there that are attempting restores....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Rudy Vey

:w00t: Hey...I could have sworn this post was in the brush forum...came home to dig out some of my "to-restore-in-the-future-when-the-bug-hits-me" vintage handles and voila...had to dig around to find it :blushing:

Can this please be made into a sticky in the brush forum where it belongs...this would be invaluable for the majority of the guys there that are attempting restores....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

It was in the brush forum where I posted it initially, but it was moved to the vendor section.

Rudy, I wonder why you wouldn't demo a 50mm loft - it seems that a lot of brushes are set around 50mm or even taller. Or do you just tend to reserve that for bigger knots?

Rudy Vey

Rudy, I wonder why you wouldn't demo a 50mm loft - it seems that a lot of brushes are set around 50mm or even taller. Or do you just tend to reserve that for bigger knots?

If I find the time, I may take pictures of the 50 mm loft, but my intention was to show how the shape of the knot changes by lowering the loft.

If I find the time, I may take pictures of the 50 mm loft, but my intention was to show how the shape of the knot changes by lowering the loft.

You make a good point there :wink2:

The knot I set around 50mm did not seem to change much in terms of shape.

Top Bottom