What's new

A Quick TGN Knot Comparison

So I've now got a small variety of Tony's TGN knots so thought I'd do a quick comparison that might help a few of the restorers ( and a quick way to show off my "stable" :001_tt2: )

All 20mm set at approx 43-45mm loft ( guess what my favourite size knot and loft is :001_tt2: )

Note: I am 100% face latherer and most of the time with shavesticks.

UK Super Fan ( Mammoth ) |Super Fan ( Simms ) |Finest Fan ( Fuller ) |Finest Bulb( Kent KS7) |Silvertip Bulb ( Everrready 200 )

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Extra stuffed
The Super, Finest Bulb and Silvertip are all marked as extra stuffed.

Knot Size
With all the Chinese knots, the knot just above the yellow plastic holder is about 2-3mms wide than the holder. So an advertised 20mm knot has a bulge above it about 22-23mm. You need to allow for this when sizing up your knot. So for a 22mm knot hole you're probably best to go with a 20mm knot. The UK knot 20mm is 17mm on the bottom and gently tapers quickly to 20mm. This will fit into a 20mm hole.
I'd be using the UK brushes in a brush where you can't or don't want to have to change the knot hole size (width ) or don't want to go down a knot size .

Softness
Probably subjective a bit but my grading would be :
Super | Finest| UK Super | Silvertip.
The difference between the first 3 is minimal and I might well be imagining it. The Silvertip is scritchy. Not a bad thing but certainly worth noting.

Bloom/Density
The Finest fan appears to bloom slightly bigger than the other knots (because it's not extra stuffed ? Or maybe the knot hole is slightly bigger than the rest. I'm not good at methodical measurements etc? )
There is no issue at all with the density of any of these knots ( at least at this size and loft )
It's interesting to note that the UK super has the same density as the bigger extra stuffed knots even though it has nowhere near the amount of bloom. I think this is because you're putting a 20mm knot into a 20mm hole which tightens the bristled compared with putting a 20mm knot into a 22mm hole with extra hair. Pretty much equal I'd say.

Conclusion?

In my humble opinion, the Finest Knots are the best value for money in terms of softness, backbone etc.. The Super is slightly softer and maybe a bit less backbone than the Finest ( same price as the Grade A too ) The UK Super wasn't the "WOW" knot I hoped it would be ( famous UK manufacturer, hand tied etc ) and hopefully will soften up a bit, but at this stage ( and because of the price "premium" ) I'd only be using in situations where you can't/won't change your knot hole width and don't want to go down a size of knot ( e.g. 20mm hole to 18mm knot ) The Silvertip...too scritchy for me .

In the end the Super, Finest and UK Super all put a nice lather on the face and feel good and to me that's probably the important thing :lol:

Really shouldn't overanalyse this stuff but then again this post shows that I do :blushing:

Glaring ommission here is the Silvertip Grade A. I've sworn off brush restores ( again ), so who knows maybe there'll be an addendum to this or maybe there won't .... :wink2:

And of course the standard B&B disclaimer..... YMMV !!!!!

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Thank you for the great review of the TGN knots. I've been imagineering a brush I want to build from scratch and need to decide on a knot.

Ian...excellent job with the restores! You really owe it to yourself to try the Grade A!!! The finest and the Grade A are the two knots I ended up using the most...and then gave the Finest to my uncle and kept the Grade A for myself...it's a lovely knot :)

One last restore can't hurt :)

+1 I agree with your softness and value scale.You can trim down your
knot base a bit to fit the holes with out drilling them out.
The price of vintage handles on the bay is getting out of hand ,It is
cheaper for me to turn a custom handle that is high quality and solid and not hollow.You also know what you are getting.
I also use the Blankety Blank Knots and the are good but seem not get any respect or play on this site.I often wonder why that is?
Cheers Rocket

I also use the Blankety Blank Knots and the are good but seem not get any respect or play on this site.I often wonder why that is?
Cheers Rocket

I sent an email to Blankity Blank after reading they were maybe better quality than the TGNs asking for the loft of their knots and the cost of shipping to Oz.

After 5 days, I hadn't heard anything.

I resent the message and got a message back saying that they'd get back to me that day.......another 9 days later and they never have.

Tony on the other hands offers great service and is quick to reply even to the silliest questions :001_tt2:

In this time I've ordered, received and installed the knots from TGN.

I know where my business is going !!! :wink2:

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Thanks mate. I'm going to be starting on my first restores in the next week or two and that was incredibly helpful. :thumbup1:

i sent an email to blankity blank after reading they were maybe better quality than the tgns asking for the loft of their knots and the cost of shipping to oz.

After 5 days, i hadn't heard anything.

I resent the message and got a message back saying that they'd get back to me that day.......another 9 days later and they never have.

Tony on the other hands offers great service and is quick to reply even to the silliest questions :001_tt2:

In this time i've ordered, received and installed the knots from tgn.

I know where my business is going !!! :wink2:

+1

Beautiful brushes. I need to find where you get your vintage handles.

Down here the only real option is Ebay. Trouble is shipping from overseas ( there's not that many brushes in Australia, let alone Tasmania ) can easily be twice the actually cost of the brush or more :001_unsur

I'm a tight-ar$e and only put in "stoopid" bids on most of the handles I like, but I'm more interested in colour and shape than anything else and willing to pay a bit more for those I really like.

Don't bid on any butterscotches anymore because some silly bugger has driven the prices up way beyond my "stoopid" bids. :001_tt2:

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Don't bid on any butterscotches anymore because some silly bugger has driven the prices up way beyond my "stoopid" bids. :001_tt2:

Yes... I've noticed that. Wonder how that happened? :wink2: I have yet to reach far enough into my pockets to get one of those. I almost did... a couple of nights ago I got up at 3:30am because there was one on the 'bay I REALLY wanted and was prepared to pay for. Long story short, I got distracted and missed putting my bid on by about three seconds. I wonder if my cursing woke the neighbours? The hunt continues...

Yes... I've noticed that. Wonder how that happened? :wink2: I have yet to reach far enough into my pockets to get one of those. I almost did... a couple of nights ago I got up at 3:30am because there was one on the 'bay I REALLY wanted and was prepared to pay for. Long story short, I got distracted and missed putting my bid on by about three seconds. I wonder if my cursing woke the neighbours? The hunt continues...

Being in a different time zone is a pain and I used to get up at all hours until I discovered auction sniper. Now I just wake up in the am and find out whether I need to pay for anything :001_smile

Being in a different time zone is a pain and I used to get up at all hours until I discovered auction sniper. Now I just wake up in the am and find out whether I need to pay for anything :001_smile

Yep, pretty much use Auctionsniper for all my bids as well whether local or not. Has the advantage of not showing your hand and starting a bidding war.

When I see an auction I'm interested in, work out my max bid, put it into a snipe and then just wait.

It has the advantage of not showing your hand and starting a bidding war AND it means that I don't get involved in bidding wars as normally I forget about the auction :closedeye

There's still no guarantee you'll win if someone is willing to pay more though !!!

Thanks for the helpful post! I have that same EverReady 200 that I got from my dad-in-law and just finished drilling it out. I measured the hole at 24mm, and was wondering what size you ordered to fit yours.

Oh and just so I can add the missing link........

Got a 20mm Silvertip Grade A on it's way.....

It's going into this handle, a vintage Kent Butterscotch ( eventually....damned volcanic ash :tongue_sm)

proxy.php

So after this one, I've got all the different knots I want, so I'm swearing off brush restores......( again :tongue_sm)

Last edited:
But this makes me wonder about the silvertips quality.
It says that ALL silvertip knots are handtied & not trimmed, then they shouldn't be scritchy.
ANd it's not only you who've written about that the finest & super are the best knots.
It shouldn't really be that way, should it?
Anyway, so far my personal favorite is the Finest extra stuffed. Really great knot!

Top Bottom