What's new

NC Barbeque!

I agree with TimMechEngr. In Charlotte Mac's Speed Shop, Courtney's BBQ or The Penguin.
In Gastonia RO's BBQ - rosbbq.com
1318 Gaston Ave
Gastonia, NC 28052 or

Black's BBQ
2902 York Highway
Gastonia, NC 28052

Don't be afraid of mustard BBQ, It is some good stuff. I keep a couple of bottles of Maurices in the pantry.
Maurice's BBQ - mauricesbbq.com
Columbia, SC

ncbbqsociety.com

For the best fried chicken on earth go to
Price's Chicken Coop - priceschickencoop.com
1614 Camden Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28203
Lexington BBQ is the King do not miss it.:thumbup:

Enjoy the Queen City.

I agree with TimMechEngr. In Charlotte Mac's Speed Shop, Courtney's BBQ or The Penguin.
1318 Gaston Ave
Gastonia, NC 28052 or

Black's BBQ
2902 York Highway
Gastonia, NC 28052

Don't be afraid of mustard BBQ, It is some good stuff. I keep a couple of bottles of Maurices in the pantry.
Columbia, SC

ncbbqsociety.com

1614 Camden Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28203

Enjoy the Queen City.

Thanks so much! I'm actually going to be moving to the area, so I can't wait to try all of it.

I have to agree with Snappy Lunch on Price's Chicken Coop! It's been rated in the Top 10 of Best Fried Chicken places in the United States!

And.... As long as he's bringing up Gastonia and Gaston County, let's not forget what Gaston County is famous for throughout the Carolinas: FISH CAMPS! LOTS OF 'EM! I mean the type where you sit on a bench at your wooden table and have some of the best fried seafood you ever put in your mouth type Fish Camps! If you're interested, I can definitely list several of those as I'm sure Snappy Lunch can as well.

Boy, I'm getting really hungry!!! :001_tongu:chef::drool:

I have to agree with Snappy Lunch on Price's Chicken Coop! It's been rated in the Top 10 of Best Fried Chicken places in the United States!

And.... As long as he's bringing up Gastonia and Gaston County, let's not forget what Gaston County is famous for throughout the Carolinas: FISH CAMPS! LOTS OF 'EM! I mean the type where you sit on a bench at your wooden table and have some of the best fried seafood you ever put in your mouth type Fish Camps! If you're interested, I can definitely list several of those as I'm sure Snappy Lunch can as well.

Boy, I'm getting really hungry!!! :001_tongu:chef::drool:

Please do. I love fried fish!

1318 Gaston Ave
Gastonia, NC 28052 or

Black's BBQ
2902 York Highway
Gastonia, NC 28052

Columbia, SC

ncbbqsociety.com

1614 Camden Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28203

Enjoy the Queen City.

Hey, Snappy Lunch!

I'm from the big city just East of you. Say hey to Barney, OK?

I'm going to have to add another chicken place. Have you tried Keaton's Original Barbecue? They are in Cool Springs, just outside of Mocksville. Their barbecued chicken is amazing. Great little place. They are on Facebook.

Hey, don't knock it. If I can't find it in SC, I'll be having a friend ship in from CA. :001_tongu That is a mighty fine piece of meat.

I'm not knocking it...I really like Tri-tip for tacos, etc. Marinate it a couple hours in chili, lime juice and other stuff and put it on the grill. Good stuff!!:thumbup:

I'm not knocking it...I really like Tri-tip for tacos, etc. Marinate it a couple hours in chili, lime juice and other stuff and put it on the grill. Good stuff!!:thumbup:

I'm with you on that. I also marinate it in Worcestershire, then rub with Santa Maria Rub (garlic powder, salt, black pepper and a little rosemary) and then grill it. I like to serve it on crusty rolls with grilled onions and peppers. :drool:

I'm with you on that. I also marinate it in Worcestershire, then rub with Santa Maria Rub (garlic powder, salt, black pepper and a little rosemary) and then grill it. I like to serve it on crusty rolls with grilled onions and peppers. :drool:

I think you should grill a tri-tip this weekend and post pictures!!:biggrin1:

Please do. I love fried fish!
Okay, here we go.
We have 3 within 5 miles of home.
Grahams Fish Fry on South New Hope Road. Belmont, NC 28012
Twin Tops Right across the street from Grahams.
IMO the best is Catfish Cove on Upper Armstrong Road also in Belmont.
Dotsons in Mt. Holly.
It was a Black day in Gaston County when Linebergers Fish Fry burnt to the ground. Then we lost Stowes to a fire.
I always get salt & pepper whole flounder when it's fresh. Always ask, if they have frozen, Then I go with the salt & pepper oysters.
Well, I guess we will be eating fish tomorrow.:drool:

Okay, here we go.
Dotsons in Mt. Holly.
It was a Black day in Gaston County when Linebergers Fish Fry burnt to the ground. Then we lost Stowes to a fire.
I always get salt & pepper whole flounder when it's fresh. Always ask, if they have frozen, Then I go with the salt & pepper oysters.

Thanks! I think this is going to be a good trip, but I'm going to have to work out alot just to maintain my weight!:w00t:

Okay, here we go.
Dotsons in Mt. Holly.

Snappy knows what he's talking about here! Graham's, Twin Tops, and Catfish Cove are excellent! And indeed, Lineberger's and Stowe's are sorely missed. Another I will add to the list was my childhood introduction to fish camps:

Riverview Inn
10012 Moores Chapel Loop
Charlotte, NC 28214
(704) 399-3385

Map

The building is designed like an old pirate fort and sits on the bank of the Catawba River. The same family has owned and run this restaurant for over 50 years. This is the fish camp my parents always took our family to, and the same fish camp I raised my son going to. Captain Windy was the pirate that always greeted the customers on Friday and Saturday nights. He was my first introduction to pirates. Captain Windy (Gilbert Winchester) finally retired and moved to the North Carolina Outer Banks to live out his days around the ocean that he loved so much. He passed away just a few years ago. I'll never forget his friendly manners and gentlemanly personality. The owners of Riverview Inn today still have that same customer approach in showing genuine concern for all visitors to their restaurant. If you have any problem at all, ask one of the owners. They're easy to recognize....... One of them greeted you at the door when you walked in!

Thanks, Tim. It's a good thing I'm moving to the area, no way I could try all these places in one trip. :001_smile I'm printing this thread out before I leave and I'll try as many as I can this trip and save the rest for when I'm back. Thanks to all of you for the help. I'm looking forward to it!

Very lucky, you'll be in the Mecca of eastern BBQ. Pork is king in NC and you will find a few NC styles in that area. Sauces are light, not thick and sweet. Usually vinegar based and there is not a heavy smoke flavor in the meat. "Eastern" North Carolina Q (east of US1) is typiclly whole hog. That is the whole pig is slow cooked over charcoal or wood and all the meat is pulled, chopped and mixed. Sauces southeast are mustard based, in the middle and north vinegar with red pepper flakes. Inland you'll find the "Piedmont" style where pork shoulder is the focus. Sauces (known as "dip") is sweeter than the eastern version with brown or white sugar and ketchup but way thinner than the Kansas City style.

Be sure to try Brunswick stew. Similar to beef stew only will a smokey BBQ flavor.

Here's a map of the BBQ Trail and the classic stops
http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_map.html

I've not been in the area for several years but some hits on my list:

Charlotte, NC
Bubba's BBQ (eastern style) 4400 Sunset Road, 28216, 704-393-2000
Hog Heaven BBQ (best Lexington style outside of Lexington) 1600 Purser Drive, 28215, 705-534-0514
Old Hickory House Restaurant (more Memphis/Georgia style) 6538 North Tryon Street, 28213, 704-596-8014

Albemarle, NC East of Charlotte
Log Cabin BBQ, 2322 US 52, 28001, 704-982-5257
Whispering Pines BBQ, 1421 US 52 N, 28001, 704-982-6184

Worth the trip north to Lexington/Greensboro area for several hits:
Greensboro
Stamey's Old Fashioned BBQ, 2206 High Point Road, 27403, 336-299-9888 and at 2812 Battleground Ave, 27408, 336-288-9275

Lexington
Jimmy's BBQ (great chicken too), 1703 Cotton Grove Road (NC 8 south), 27292, 336-357-2311
Lexington BBQ, 10 US 29/70 south, 27295, 336-249-9814
Smokey Joe's BBQ, 1101 South Main Street, 27292, 336-249-0315
Southern BBQ, 907 Winston Road (NC 8 north), 27295, 336-248-4528 and at 10361 NC 8 South, Southmont, 27351, 336-798-2300
Tar Heel Q, (7 miles west of downtown) 6835 US 64 West, 27295, 336-787-4550

Be sure to check with them as days and hours vary. Enjoy!

Tom

Hog Heaven BBQ (best Lexington style outside of Lexington) 1600 Purser Drive, 28215, 705-534-0514
Old Hickory House Restaurant (more Memphis/Georgia style) 6538 North Tryon Street, 28213, 704-596-8014

Hog Heaven closed back several years ago. However, they did have excellent Lexington style (vinegar based - Eastern NC Style) barbecue!

Old Hickory House is the epitome example of Carolina style (Western NC - tomato based) barbecue and nothing like Memphis (Dry Rubbed) or Georgia style (Vinegar based).

Last edited:
Very lucky, you'll be in the Mecca of eastern BBQ. Pork is king in NC and you will find a few NC styles in that area. Sauces are light, not thick and sweet. Usually vinegar based and there is not a heavy smoke flavor in the meat. "Eastern" North Carolina Q (east of US1) is typiclly whole hog. That is the whole pig is slow cooked over charcoal or wood and all the meat is pulled, chopped and mixed. Sauces southeast are mustard based, in the middle and north vinegar with red pepper flakes. Inland you'll find the "Piedmont" style where pork shoulder is the focus. Sauces (known as "dip") is sweeter than the eastern version with brown or white sugar and ketchup but way thinner than the Kansas City style.

Be sure to try Brunswick stew. Similar to beef stew only will a smokey BBQ flavor.

Here's a map of the BBQ Trail and the classic stops
http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_map.html

I've not been in the area for several years but some hits on my list:

Charlotte, NC
Bubba's BBQ (eastern style) 4400 Sunset Road, 28216, 704-393-2000

Albemarle, NC East of Charlotte
Log Cabin BBQ, 2322 US 52, 28001, 704-982-5257
Whispering Pines BBQ, 1421 US 52 N, 28001, 704-982-6184

Worth the trip north to Lexington/Greensboro area for several hits:
Greensboro
Stamey's Old Fashioned BBQ, 2206 High Point Road, 27403, 336-299-9888 and at 2812 Battleground Ave, 27408, 336-288-9275

Lexington
Jimmy's BBQ (great chicken too), 1703 Cotton Grove Road (NC 8 south), 27292, 336-357-2311
Lexington BBQ, 10 US 29/70 south, 27295, 336-249-9814
Smokey Joe's BBQ, 1101 South Main Street, 27292, 336-249-0315
Southern BBQ, 907 Winston Road (NC 8 north), 27295, 336-248-4528 and at 10361 NC 8 South, Southmont, 27351, 336-798-2300
Tar Heel Q, (7 miles west of downtown) 6835 US 64 West, 27295, 336-787-4550

Be sure to check with them as days and hours vary. Enjoy!

Tom

Thanks! I'm a huge BBQ fan, picked up the taste for it when I lived in the Raleigh area for 3 years back in the late 90's. Now I'll be back for more. If you haven't seen it, you should check out "Holy Smoke". A history of NC barbecue, it is a pretty good read.

Top Bottom