What's new

Similar scents composium.

I don't know if this already exists on B&B but I think it would be very helpful to have something like this as a guideline for future acquisitions.
Everybody must know some scents which is very similar to another one.

I'll start.

• Truefitt & Hill Freshman is very similar to Davidoff Coolwater (which is similar to Creed Green Irish Tweeds but this I can't confirm personally)
  • Penhaligon's Quercus smells very similar as CKOne to me.

These came to mind immediately.

Last edited:
Those discussions are pretty pointless. What may smell quite similar to one person can be nothing close to someone else.

Those discussions are pretty pointless. What may smell quite similar to one person can be nothing close to someone else.

As are all the threads/comments/reviews where one has to depend on a subjective opinion.
If more people share the same subjective opinion then it might indicate a trend.
If a large majority share the same subjective opinion we call it a consensus.

If there is a consensus that X is very similar to Y and I don't like X, then the chances are very slim I will like Y and it will be a good guideline for me to which scents I should try or which I should avoid or don't bother with.

That is a false statement. That's like saying apples have different scents to different people. Even if a person doesn't like the smell of apples they can still usually identify the scent.

While different people wear different scents differently. Generally people agree on scents, regardless if they agree on whether they like them or not. The Coolwater and GIT comparison has been made repeatedly.

For me this an interesting thread and would like to hear other peoples thoughts.

I have sampled rather extensively the CKone/Quercus/Cefiro scents and here is what I have found for me.

Quercus is the brightest and greatest silage of the three. The note that Pen's was going for is rather linear and very clear. It is a strong oak scent, but really sunny and bright.

CKone also has great silage, but I feel like the scent is not very defined. When I wore it a few times I felt like the scent was muddied a bit and not nearly as tight as the Pens.

Cefiro, from Floris, was probably closer to Quercus than CKone, but it didn't have as good silage for me as the other two did. The scent was more succinct and more 'oaky' than CKone, but still not as good as Quercus.

I feel confident that in a blind test, I can easily tell the three apart. Just my humble opinion.

8<
I feel confident that in a blind test, I can easily tell the three apart. Just my humble opinion.

To me they don't have to pass a blind test where you compare the scents side by side in a analytic way to be similar.

Suppose I sprayed some Quercus 3 hours ago and I pass you in an office. You just get a sniff. Could you say it is Quercus or CKOne by one faint sniff? Suppose you don't know Quercus but only CKOne. Chances are pretty high that you will think it is CKOne.

Maybe another thread with 'if you like this, then chances are high that you will also like this' is also handy although this is even more subjective.
For example, in my opinion, if you like Blenheim Bouquet, you will probably like OPUS and Douro. Also Trafalgar from Truefitt & Hill will IMHO be thumbed up by people who like BB.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think a thread with opinions of "I think x smells similar to x" probably is a bit less subjective than a thread with "if you like x, you will probably like x".

The old human nose, while not as good as a bloodhound is pretty amazing at being able to pick up subtle differences.

I won't participate in this thread however, because everyone knows I like Lilac Vegetal, and that generally disqualifies me in other peoples eyes from being able to identify a nice smell. :lol:

I'll give you an example - I honestly think that Lilac Vegetal has some subtle similarities with Tabac.

Last edited:
Creed Orange Spice~YSL Kouros
Creed Green Irish Tweed~Davidoff Cool Water
Creed Original Vetiver~Mugler Cologne
Creed Millesime Imperial~Sean John Unforgivable
Creed Himalaya~Paco Rabanne XS
Creed Bois du Portugal~PDN New York
Creed Original Santal~Joop
Creed Santal Imperial~Emporio Armani White
Creed Ambre Canelle~Old Spice

Creed Orange Spice~YSL Kouros
Creed Green Irish Tweed~Davidoff Cool Water
Creed Original Vetiver~Mugler Cologne
Creed Millesime Imperial~Sean John Unforgivable
Creed Himalaya~Paco Rabanne XS
Creed Bois du Portugal~PDN New York
Creed Original Santal~Joop
Creed Santal Imperial~Emporio Armani White
Creed Ambre Canelle~Old Spice

Kouros

Do you like Creed?:001_tongu

I don't know if this already exists on B&B but I think it would be very helpful to have something like this as a guideline for future acquisitions.
Everybody must know some scents which is very similar to another one.

I don't think one definitive list can be made. Best results are usually in response to a specific question. e.g. "I like Blenheim Bouquet. What else smells like it?"

There is a recent thread along these lines. Individual queries allow for some explanation plus back and forth.

As an example, it is often said that PdN New York smells like Creed's Bois du Portugal. Well, to me, upon initial application they're dead on similar, but through dry down they are very different scents imo.

If there was a simple list with no explanations, it could dissapoint many people.

This might be an okay effort, if lots and lots of caveats are applied. For some reason it is a very tough thing.

<For example, in my opinion, if you like Blenheim Bouquet, you will probably like OPUS and Douro. Also Trafalgar from Truefitt & Hill will IMHO be thumbed up by people who like BB. >

You had me in the first sentence, except lots of folks do not like BB who like Opus and Douro. I love all three. But then you knocked me off with the second sentence. I think Grafton is amazing but Tragalgar barely registers with me!

Some say that Clubman smells like Canoe. I get that. Others that CM smells like Brut. That I do not get.

I do think LV and Tabac overlap. I really like LV and there is nothing wrong with my nose, IMHO! Of course I like those funk opening notes of 88 and Creed Bois de Santal, too. And Cuba smells fine to me.

Quercus being like CKOne and Coolwater like GIT are oft cited and thus reliable. NY's similarity to Creed BdP, too, although none are exactly the same.

I think Brut and Pen's EF share a lot of notes, but that is a long way from saying they are close. Most Sandalwoods and Santals are similar, but it is lots of fun to study the differences and those make a big difference to lots of folks.

don't know if this helps or not, but I've always thought:

-Floris Santal was a more refined version of Gucci Envy.
-Creed Epicea was similar to J.Peterman 1903
-Penhaligon Opus 1870 shared a strong cedar opening with Tumulte Pour Homme
-Floris 89 had similar notes to Atkinsons Men's Care edt
-Floris JF and Creed Blenheim Bouquet shared some citrus
-Coty Wild Woods, albeit cheap and easy to find, shared a sandalwood note with the more refined Tam Dao
-Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles shares a strong fir note with AOS Sandalwood

...What may smell quite similar to one person can be nothing close to someone else...

...If more people share the same subjective opinion then it might indicate a trend...

I agree to some extent with both of these thoughts. I like hearing what others think a fragrance smells like, as it gives me some indication of what I might think it smells like, although my experience has told me that doesn't mean I will like it or not, or even that I will agree that it smells like what everyone else thinks it does. That can only be determined by me wearing and smelling it myself.

As an example, if you say Acqua di Gio smells very similar to Bvlgari Agva, I would agree they are both similar as in the same "family" as they are both acqua or marine scents. But I happen to like Acqua di Gio (go ahead, throw stones) but don't care for Bvlgari Aqva, even though to me the difference between them is very slight. It's enough difference that I don't care for the one.

As another example, many folks here love Rive Gauche, and describe what it smells like, but to me, it only smells like some type of laundry detergent. But that is just me and Rive Gauche, even though my opinions of what fragrances smell like are usually not that redically different from what most others think.

So it may be helpful, or it may be harmful, for me to make decisions based on this type information, because I might avoid trying a fragrance because others think it "smells like" something, when in fact I might really like it if I try it myself.

As Phil said, our noses are very accurate at detecting subtle differences.

However, Phil, you are hereby banned from ever comparing fragrances again for saying Lilac Vegetal smells like Tabac! :lol:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I agree to some extent with both of these thoughts. I like hearing what others think a fragrance smells like, as it gives me some indication of what I might think it smells like, although my experience has told me that doesn't mean I will like it or not, or even that I will agree that it smells like what everyone else thinks it does. That can only be determined by me wearing and smelling it myself.

As an example, if you say Acqua di Gio smells very similar to Bvlgari Agva, I would agree they are both similar as in the same "family" as they are both acqua or marine scents. But I happen to like Acqua di Gio (go ahead, throw stones) but don't care for Bvlgari Aqva, even though to me the difference between them is very slight. It's enough difference that I don't care for the one.

As another example, many folks here love Rive Gauche, and describe what it smells like, but to me, it only smells like some type of laundry detergent. But that is just me and Rive Gauche, even though my opinions of what fragrances smell like are usually not that redically different from what most others think.

So it may be helpful, or it may be harmful, for me to make decisions based on this type information, because I might avoid trying a fragrance because others think it "smells like" something, when in fact I might really like it if I try it myself.

As Phil said, our noses are very accurate at detecting subtle differences.

However, Phil, you are hereby banned from ever comparing fragrances again for saying Lilac Vegetal smells like Tabac! :lol:

:w00t::biggrin1:
Well, I didn't really say they smelled the same, just that I thought they had some similarities, but I agree, I am probably not the guy to ask for a recomendation on great scents.
I mean - they smell good to me, but maybe they won't to you.

Mugler Cologne smells nearly exactly like Bobby Jones. Which, also smells very similar to Musgo shaving cream.
Which is a good thing in my opinion.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Mugler Cologne smells nearly exactly like Bobby Jones. Which, also smells very similar to Musgo shaving cream.

I don't know who Bobby Jones is, and I'm not sure I want to know what he smells like! :yikes: :eek2: :eek: :eek6:

I don't know who Bobby Jones is, and I'm not sure I want to know what he smells like! :yikes: :eek2: :eek: :eek6:

Bobby Jones is a dead golfer. There is an entire apparel line with his name on it. The cologne was GREAT stuff, but has been discontinued. Light grassy, citrus, with a little warmness and spice, and soap smell.
Insert your own Tiger Woods joke about what his cologne will smell like when he's dead. :w00t:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Bobby Jones is a dead golfer. There is an entire apparel line with his name on it. The cologne was GREAT stuff, but has been discontinued. Light grassy, citrus, with a little warmness and spice, and soap smell.
Insert your own Tiger Woods joke about what his cologne will smell like when he's dead. :w00t:

And you guys have the gall to complain about my Lilac Vegetal? :blink:

Top Bottom