What's new

"Executive" Stereos

All,

I'm finally moving out of the cube and into an office. I'd like to get one of those mini "executive" stereos and am looking for recommendations. Here are my requirements in order of priority:

1. Must have an RCA (AUX) input. I have southern exposure and will be hooking up a XM satellite radio receiver.

2. Should look somewhat classy. A big, honkin boombox will not do.

3. The smaller, the better.

4. Decent sound quality.

5. Would prefer < $125 US.

Links preferred if possible :001_rolle

My one, strong recommendation would be the Kloss series by Tivoli Audio. I believe one of their models even has Sirius built in, but all of their Table Radios have Aux inputs. Its a tiny box with big sound and a classic (& quality) look and feel -- I've been nothing short of astounded by mine.

I have an office where I can get an XM signal. I have my XM receiver hooked up to a set of Cambridge Soundworks PC Multimedia speakers. It sounds great.:biggrin:

---Joe

My one, strong recommendation would be the Kloss series by Tivoli Audio. I believe one of their models even has Sirius built in, but all of their Table Radios have Aux inputs. Its a tiny box with big sound and a classic (& quality) look and feel -- I've been nothing short of astounded by mine.

+3...I have a Model Two and a few of the now discontinued PALs and I like them a lot. As you can see they are deceptively small and understated but have great sound quality. I have had a few friends say my Model Two sounds better than their Bose Wave Radios. The Models Two on up also have a nice range of matching components you can add to them when you want to expand. The auxiliary inputs work great with iPods too. They used to only be carried at the nicer hi-fi shops around here but I see that our local Target carries them in stock now.

Model One $119
proxy.php

Model Two $199
proxy.php

Model Satellite $299 - $50 Rebate (Limited Time - Print from tivoliaudio.com)
proxy.php

Wasn't aware of the Tivoli. The reviews I'm reading are great. I'm a bit apprehensive about the mono, but since I will mostly be listening to Baseball and comedy, it shouldn't matter. Lets check it against my parameters:

1. Must have an RCA (AUX) input. I have southern exposure and will be hooking up a XM satellite radio receiver.

Check.

2. Should look somewhat classy. A big, honkin boombox will not do.

Check.

3. The smaller, the better.

Check.

4. Decent sound quality.

From reviews I've read, chek.

5. Would prefer < $125 US.

Check.

Anyone know if there are any national (or dallas area) retailers that have these in-person?

I'm a bit apprehensive about the mono, but since I will mostly be listening to Baseball and comedy, it shouldn't matter.

I use mine for NPR in the morning, local sports, the occasional classical music station, or to hook up my iPod. I find the mono actually to be way more pleasing for "talk radio" and sports than stereo personally. Just wait until you hear one -- take my word for it. You'll be impressed with the sound quality.

Anyone know if there are any national (or dallas area) retailers that have these in-person?

I think Target has them now. Actually, I'm certain mine does. Pick one up on your next Proraso run :biggrin:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

+1 on the Kloss. Better than the Bose.

I have a system that takes up huge amounts of money and space. If I didn't, I would get one of those radios.

I have never heard of the kloss before but it looks terrific. Does anyone know how the reception is. I have the bose wave in my office but I cannot get good FM reception with it. Was wondering if this might be any better.

Thanks.

Bridger

I have never heard of the kloss before but it looks terrific. Does anyone know how the reception is. I have the bose wave in my office but I cannot get good FM reception with it. Was wondering if this might be any better.

Thanks.

Bridger

They have great reception and are known for pulling in weak signals, esp with the addition of an external am and fm antenna. Here is an informative review from geek.com that compares the Tivoli, Bose, and Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 that gives the edge in reception to the Tivoli Model One: http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/conel/tabrads/.
Overall the winner was the $150 Model 88 partly because of the ability to add a subwoofer and second speaker, as well as the digital functionality the low end Tivoli doesn't have. You can get that expandability taken care of with the Tivoli Model Two if you desire.

I went to Target to take a look last night. It was the only radio in the department pulling in stations other than the XM and Sirius they had hooked up.

Center of a steel building and still getting a signal. i was quite impressed.

I didn't pull the trigger as they were out of stock on the color I liked. I'm heading to another Target this weekend.

I went to Target to take a look last night. It was the only radio in the department pulling in stations other than the XM and Sirius they had hooked up.

Center of a steel building and still getting a signal. i was quite impressed.

I didn't pull the trigger as they were out of stock on the color I liked. I'm heading to another Target this weekend.

Did you end up finding the one you wanted? If so, what do you think?

I'm a bit apprehensive about the mono, but since I will mostly be listening to Baseball and comedy, it shouldn't matter.

I don't know if it's still being made, but the Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 is also designed by Henry Kloss, and is stereo. I have one in my office, and the sound is amazing, as is the reception.

When I looked at that I said" Holy S*&% Batman, wouldn't it be cool to power my Klipshorns wihth that".:biggrin: Then I looked at the price.:eek: :eek:
Ken,
Who needs a bigger budget for toys and diversions.

That is sweet:thumbup1: The ML's Would love it

Sorry to bump and older thread, but are those Tivoli Radios real wood or is it just a veneer? They look almost perfect for my new office but I'd slightly different finish than they offer. Which is no big deal if they are real wood.
Thanks
- Andrew

Top Bottom