What's new

Question about Kampfe Bros Star Safety Razor

If it comes with a wedge style blade I don't think it can take a standard SE without some modifications. I only have a little experience with those that take a wedge but have not been able to get the ones I do have to work with a standard SE. The SE blade tends to pop up over the little retainer studs.

Maybe a picture would help....

This one?

Also... How do I get those blades sharpened? (I lack the skill and equipment to accomplish that task myself.)

proxy.php

Very interesting. Looks like a shavette with permanent blades. Would you mind taking a pic of it assembled? I have never seen one before.

It's hard to say without seeing the front of the razor.

Both Star Kampfe lather catchers that I have come across took regular blades but looked like they could handle a wedge blade as well.

I can't say on this one (D.Irving is the man, he can tell you) as I don't have this exact model. I do have some designed for wedge blades that will accept the SE's it does depend on the model.

As to how these blades are kept in shaving trim, they are honed and stropped similar to how a straight razor is maintained. The handle attachment at the top of the case acts as a handle extension, but also will hold the blades for proper stropping and honing.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
It's hard to say without seeing the front of the razor.

Both Star Kampfe lather catchers that I have come across took regular blades but looked like they could handle a wedge blade as well.

I'm a Lather Catcher wannabe, but I'm also curious - would the attached be suitable for a normal SE?

I'm a Lather Catcher wannabe, but I'm also curious - would the attached be suitable for a normal SE?

I believe so. It looks very much like mine, which is. The little clip that you see sitting off-center needs to be hooked onto the crosspiece at the top of the "half-moon" while you insert the blade. When unhooked it then bears against the spine of the blade, holding it in place with the help of the spring loaded fingers on each side.

- Chris

I believe so. It looks very much like mine, which is. The little clip that you see sitting off-center needs to be hooked onto the crosspiece at the top of the "half-moon" while you insert the blade. When unhooked it then bears against the spine of the blade, holding it in place with the help of the spring loaded fingers on each side.

- Chris

+1

Both of mine were very similar and took regular SE blades.

Yes, this one looks like two I have also. They definitely do accept the SE (though Napoleon has what he says is the same model, and says his will not ?:confused1). Here's a pic of my two along with a Star Lather Catcher (not sure all these old variants really match the nickname of Lather Catcher, as the "cream" of those seems to be the 1900/1901 patented GEM's and certain Stars such as the 1910 {third razor pic'd with the other two Stars} and the 1908 GEM in the second pic).

The Star pictured at the top of the thread is a bit different I think though, not sure if it will accept the SE or not.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

if the runner guards on the sides are spring supported they can accept both blades. if fixed, they cannot. ask for a picture of the front of the head of the razor. spring supported guards lay flat, fixed do not.

garyg

- Chris

So like the attached? Thanks neighbor ..

+1

Both of mine were very similar and took regular SE blades.

Yes, this one looks like two I have also. They definitely do accept the SE (though Napoleon has what he says is the same model, and says his will not ?:confused1). Here's a pic of my two along with a Star Lather Catcher (not sure all these old variants really match the nickname of Lather Catcher, as the "cream" of those seems to be the 1900/1901 patented GEM's and certain Stars such as the 1910 {third razor pic'd with the other two Stars} and the 1908 GEM in the second pic).

The Star pictured at the top of the thread is a bit different I think though, not sure if it will accept the SE or not.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

if the runner guards on the sides are spring supported they can accept both blades. if fixed, they cannot. ask for a picture of the front of the head of the razor. spring supported guards lay flat, fixed do not.

I just sold one with an unhinged head and it took standard SE blades with no problem:

View attachment 88193

View attachment 88194

View attachment 88195

View attachment 88196

Thanks everyone, I will shave tomorrow with the razor as pictured, unless someone tells me that I dinna have it loaded up right. Seems to be stable as is, looks slightly mild ..

garyg

Well, I tried the Star pictured above. Got a DFS for the first spin. It is less aggressive & lighter than the OC Micromatic I had been using recently, made more noise than the MM also while mowing down the stubble. I do have the Star Wedge blade that seems unused, but no stropper so I don't expect I'll try the wedge ..

Top Bottom