What's new

My Straight Shaving Journey

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Took another run at the XTG/ATG shave, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. BBS everywhere except for my neck, which is unsurprising, given the weird sideways growth it plagues me with. Extremely low irritation, most of it centered on my chin. Weird, but total time of lather+shave was 11 minutes.

Who needs a triple pass, eh?

That was quick!

I do need 3 passes... Could do 2 but the shave would not be as close!

I let things grow for a day, since it's seemed like I've only been touching up my shave, instead of completing a full shave. Sooo, number 59 here received a full triple pass shave. Excellent today. A little more burn than normal, shave took 18 minutes with Tabac lather. I still find the scent repulsive, but the lather works pretty well. I don't think I'll be refilling once my puck is finished. Near BBS - neck came out wonderful, but couldn't quite hit the spot on my chin.

Luc

Staff member
I let things grow for a day, since it's seemed like I've only been touching up my shave, instead of completing a full shave. Sooo, number 59 here received a full triple pass shave. Excellent today. A little more burn than normal, shave took 18 minutes with Tabac lather. I still find the scent repulsive, but the lather works pretty well. I don't think I'll be refilling once my puck is finished. Near BBS - neck came out wonderful, but couldn't quite hit the spot on my chin.

Tabac improves with time... Or not... I find mine better now!

The chin is a challenge. The shorter the strokes, the better.

Tabac and Musgo Real. The scent is... odd. Somewhat leathery and tobacco-ey, but not in the good way. And I'm a long time cigar smoker. Lord help me if I have to find solace in a puck of vintage Old Spice.

Stop by a Crabtree & Evelynn store and sniff the "Sienna" soap. You might find it more to your liking than the Tabac, but still with a Tobacco flavor.

Nah. I vowed the next thing I'd buy would be Nancy Boy shave cream (after I try the La Toja coming in with my Semogue Limited Edition).

So, today I decide to freshen up my Drew & Sons wedge on a little CrOx, since it'd been pulling just a touch (probably has over 45 shaves on it anyway). Man, that is just amazingly smooth. Just a simple XTG/ATG and some hot Cella, then I was in business. I just got a new Georgetown Pottery v5 scuttle btw, in Ivory and Green Oribe. Shave was nearly irritation free, and smooth as glass everywhere except my neck, which was still DFS. I remember why the wedge has been my favorite!

Man, today must have been another fluke. Where am I at, 61?

I let some mega hot Tabac lather sit on my face after showering this morning which, oddly, smells better than when it does cold. Rised, re-lathered, and went to town with my full hollow. DFS on my neck, BBS everywhere else. Guess only two passes will be the norm for me from now on, if I get a suitable prep in. Maybe even a single ATG? nah!

Luc

Staff member
Man, today must have been another fluke. Where am I at, 61?

I let some mega hot Tabac lather sit on my face after showering this morning which, oddly, smells better than when it does cold. Rised, re-lathered, and went to town with my full hollow. DFS on my neck, BBS everywhere else. Guess only two passes will be the norm for me from now on, if I get a suitable prep in. Maybe even a single ATG? nah!

Those things happens! It still sounds like a good shave...:thumbup1:

Now I'm only at 62.

Went with a quick double XTG pass today. Everything came up DFS except for my cheeks, which were BBS. Used my full hollow which, after a few passes on the CrOx, came out amazingly sharp - guess I'd dulled the edge a bit when I was getting my stropping motion down. Of course, I did give myself a small cut on my upper lip, which required the styptic to close. Heh. Can't argue with the results though, I had no irritation except for the place of the cut. Shave took 8 minutes.

Unfortunately, being a butterfingers, the razor slipped out of my hands and onto the bathroom counter as I was putting it away. Then fell to the floor. Good grief.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Now I'm only at 62.

Went with a quick double XTG pass today. Everything came up DFS except for my cheeks, which were BBS. Used my full hollow which, after a few passes on the CrOx, came out amazingly sharp - guess I'd dulled the edge a bit when I was getting my stropping motion down. Of course, I did give myself a small cut on my upper lip, which required the styptic to close. Heh. Can't argue with the results though, I had no irritation except for the place of the cut. Shave took 8 minutes.

Unfortunately, being a butterfingers, the razor slipped out of my hands and onto the bathroom counter as I was putting it away. Then fell to the floor. Good grief.

Good work!

How's the razor?

Both the toe and heel of the razor looked like they were completely rolled over. It's likely saveable with a restorative honing, but that all might cost more than the razor did.

Good excuse for a new razor, I suppose. Maybe another American brand to replace the Yankee, like a Genco or two.

Luc

Staff member
Both the toe and heel of the razor looked like they were completely rolled over. It's likely saveable with a restorative honing, but that all might cost more than the razor did.

Good excuse for a new razor, I suppose. Maybe another American brand to replace the Yankee, like a Genco or two.

That's why I have 24 straights :biggrin:

Aren't like half of those from Gugi?

It's a pity though - just when I was really getting used to a hollow grind.

Hit up another double pass shave, all XTG, for #63. Went pretty well. close and comfortable - didn't try to get too close on my upper lip, with my new bright red scar. No discomfort, irritation, or anything.

Still bummed about my lost hollow, so I have a Faultless coming to replace it soon.

Luc

Staff member
Hit up another double pass shave, all XTG, for #63. Went pretty well. close and comfortable - didn't try to get too close on my upper lip, with my new bright red scar. No discomfort, irritation, or anything.

Still bummed about my lost hollow, so I have a Faultless coming to replace it soon.

What did you get?

A 13/16 Faultless, put up by LarryAndro. Looking forward to trying out some German steel, but I'm still on the lookout for some nice Genco razors up for sale.

Luc

Staff member
A 13/16 Faultless, put up by LarryAndro. Looking forward to trying out some German steel, but I'm still on the lookout for some nice Genco razors up for sale.

Ah nice! I love German Steel!

Any pictures? :biggrin:

Top Bottom