What's new

Rooney Woes

Hello guys. I am just catching up on this thread. Since this topic seems to be getting a lot of attention, I'd like to put a couple of things into perspective.

First of all, I want you to know that we store all our inventory in a temperature and humidity controlled environment. The storeroom is actually carpeted and has central heat and air. Ha! We particularly wouldn't want those pesky wild badgers getting antsy and running loose. We might have the badger police after us. :eek:)

Secondly, as you know, we sell several lines of shaving brushes, and in the past have sold one or two other brands. We have had the occasional "shedder" in each and every one of those lines. This, unfortunately, is one of the things that happens in the making of shaving brushes. As to why you are seeing "so many reports" of shedding Rooneys. All I can say is that perhaps it is due to the fact that proportionately we are selling 20 times more Rooney brushes than any other brand.

Candidly, from my perspective, considering the number of Rooney brushes that we ship on a weekly basis, we do not have to replace that many brushes due to shedding. In fact, it is a very, very small percentage. Unfortunately, when we do get a "shedder" I can almost always count on seeing a post on one of the forums about it. But unlike with Nick here, we rarely see mention about how easily the process was handled with either Erin or myself to facilitate the exchange for a replacement brush.

Yes, it is very unfortunate if a person would get 2 brushes from a vendor in a row that were shedders. However, we receive our inventory in small lots of 20 to 40 to 80 brushes at a time, depending of the particular brush. So, it is quite possible that the replacement brush that would be sent would have been received at the same time as the defective brush and therefore is from the same lot of brushes. That is hard to avoid.

Only once since I have been in business have I had to declare an entire lot of brushes as defective due to a number of brushes being returned as shedders. This happened 2 years ago. Those brushes were not made by Rooney.
Jim,

And this is a prime example of why you are my favorite vendor. I even had the privilege of speaking with Jim about the main differences of a 3/1 and a 1/1 for different people and uses etc for about 10 minutes. NO other vendor I have dealt with over the internet or phone (even excluding for other products not just shave related) has ever done that. I highly recommend purchasing from Vintage Blades!

+1... Vintage Blades is a fantastic vendor! I actually had problem with a 1/1 (posted earlier) and Erin was very responsive and extremely helpful in getting me a replacement. Couldn't have been an easier process since they created pre-paid UPS return envelope. Couldn't have gone any better AND I'll be sure not to worry about the quality of any Rooneys I may purchase in the future.

I'll also join in the VB Love-Fest. I've bought 2 or 3 Rooneys from Jim. On one, there was a fairly long back-and-forth about which brush to buy. In the end, I got an amazing brush. This amazing brush then dumped a couple hairs, which got me pretty nervous. I e-mailed my concerns and got the same "whatever you want" along with some brush care suggestions. The suggestions cured the problem, but the "whatever you want" calmed my nerves!

I can't say enough about Jim, Erin, and VB in general.

Thanks again!

Jim at Vintage Blades,
Wish I'd got my Rooney from you, do you have any contact details for the company themselves to help us unlucky folks out?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm totally going to ask my wife for a 1/1 from Jim for Christmas!

Conversation overheard at the hair parlour ...

"so what are you getting your hubby for Christmas, Betty?"
"well, he said he want's a 'one one' from Rooney."
"um ... Mickey Rooney's first film?"
"I don't think so ... "
"Andy Rooney's one mionute rant on DVD?"
"He hates Andy Rooney."
"It's probably some kind of sports thing. Like a rookie card from some guy named Rooney."
"eeeeew! I'm not walking into those creepy sports memorabelia stores! All the guys in there stare at my shirt."
"Just get him some socks and maybe a nice tie. Say, didn't you say he got all into that strange shaving thing a while back?"
"Yeah, but he's got all the stuff for that ... you wouldn't believe how much that all cost. But he's got like five of everything now, so I don't have to get him any more of that stuff. I like the socks idea."

I was all set to order brushes from another company, but after reading Jim's response to the Rooney issue, I ordered 2 3/1's from Vintage Blades. They are nice people to deal with. One will be a Christmas present for my daughter's fiance. He uses a HD with Feather blades and Old Taylor soap with some super cheapo brush. I had to put a stop to that. Hope his face can take the shock of a good brush.

I was all set to order brushes from another company, but after reading Jim's response to the Rooney issue, I ordered 2 3/1's from Vintage Blades. They are nice people to deal with. One will be a Christmas present for my daughter's fiance. He uses a HD with Feather blades and Old Taylor soap with some super cheapo brush. I had to put a stop to that. Hope his face can take the shock of a good brush.

Now that is a nice gift! You will like Vintage Blades.

Take Care,
Richard

Got any more unwed daughters?? :biggrin1:

Top Bottom