What's new

Russian straight razors any good?

look here 320344927009
If someone is going to pick them up and restore I would be willing to pick one up for a reasonable price

We know better than to buy those. : P

However, I did buy 12 non-russians...... : | Anyone want an old razor? ; )

I have four russians in my collection. They are pretty good!
All of them made in another decade. Between 1890 and 1960.

All are simple but good! The steel is ok. They shave smooth und good.
Easy to hone. The points are mostly between german round and french/straight point.
All of them very easy to hone and strop.
But a bit difficult to get them... They are rare.

(Actually I sell on (or two) at the bay. :blush: Search by my Nick. Shipping to USA 8,90 €uro...) :001_rolle )

It's only a hint, not marketing. But if it's not allowed, please remove this post.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I wouldn't mind trying one also... one day... They look nice!

Luc

Staff member
I received a Stiz yesterday... I bought it off ebay on the 9th September (mmm, a day after my post :lol:) and received it on the 4th December... This isn't the seller's fault, it got stuck somewhere between Russia/Australia. Customs didn't even open the package...

I need to have it a bit restored and fixed. I will then use it :001_smile.

I've translated Stiz off the tang but there's a decal(etching) on the blade, anyone knows what it says? To me, it looks like CANUB or CTNUB but there's too much pitting to see the letter.

attachment.php

Very cool!

See, I'm of the opinion that anything of anything engineered... soviet goods perform.
I've only ever tested this on a handful of objects, though. Good luck.

Luc

Staff member
Anyone can translate the inscription on the blade?

Anyone can translate the inscription on the blade?

Well CТИЗ by itself doesn't mean anything its an abbreviation. By way of an educated guess I would imagine that the "C" in this case stands for СТАЛЬНЫИ or 'steel' and the "З" stands for ЗАВОД or 'factory'. So its probably something something steel factory. Unfortunately unless someone knows this specific factory abbreviation you may not be able to find out as it probably shut down long ago. I did a quick search on Yandex.ru for steel factories named CТИЗ and got nothing.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Well CТИЗ by itself doesn't mean anything its an abbreviation. By way of an educated guess I would imagine that the "C" in this case stands for СТАЛЬНЫИ or 'steel' and the "З" stands for ЗАВОД or 'factory'. So its probably something something steel factory. Unfortunately unless someone knows this specific factory abbreviation you may not be able to find out as it probably shut down long ago. I did a quick search on Yandex.ru for steel factories named CТИЗ and got nothing.

Thanks for your help.:001_smile

I know that CТИЗ goes for Stiz and it's the brand of the razor...

Found

Завод СТальных ИЗделий (Factory of Steel Products)

1950 - 1990

Moscow

Luc

Staff member
Found

Завод СТальных ИЗделий (Factory of Steel Products)

1950 - 1990

Moscow

Cool, cheers!

Any idea on what the blade says?

Cool, cheers!

Any idea on what the blade says?

The blade says STIZ in Russian script, but there is a difference in Russian letters as they are printed in books and how they are written by hand. When Russian is written by handwriting the letter 'm' is a T. Sorry I assumed you knew that. So the word on the blade is exactly the same as the tang.

Luc

Staff member
The blade says STIZ in Russian script, but there is a difference in Russian letters as they are printed in books and how they are written by hand. When Russian is written by handwriting the letter 'm' is a T. Sorry I assumed you knew that. So the word on the blade is exactly the same as the tang.

STIZ is on the tang, I was curious about the inscription in the attached picture as it doesn't look like STIZ or CТИЗ to me...

attachment.php

Top Bottom