What's new

Coffee(s)

Coffee...

- french press
- westbend poppery popcorn popper ($8 - $20 on ebay)
- green beans thru internet (I use sweet maria's a lot)

about 15 mins of your time per batch of 125 grams (4 - 4 1/2 oz) fresh roasted coffee. Cheap and beats any coffee from a store.

Wow Salvador, instant coffee? That's worst than shaving with a Bic disposable, barbasol foam and no water.:eek:
Well, you've been given some really good advice here, but since you mentioned that you were on a budget here's my 2¢.

First the coffee: Ideally you would grind fresh roasted beans every morning. But since you're in a budget, and maybe lack of time due to all the shaving and all, this is the next best thing:

Next time you find yourself stocking up on Proraso products at your local Target, head over to the coffee aisle and check out the Starbucks selection. Usually you can find them on sale at greatly reduced prices. I believe right now the Christmas Blend is on sale.

Also, if there are markets or stores near you that carry Latin American products look for Café Sello Rojo from Colombia. It's not hand delivered by Presidente Uribe, but I do seem to remember seeing a mule tied to a post in the parking lot.:biggrin1: This coffee sells for around $5.00 for a 250g vacuum sealed package and it is good.

I've also been able to find good and inexpensive coffees at Marshall's. Last summer I found a very good Jamaican Blue Mountain. Once in a while they carry an Italian line called Compagnia Dell'Arabica made by Corsini Caffe. My favorite is Colombia Caffe' Medellin Supremo. It's also vacuum sealed and priced like the Sello Rojo. Look for the expiration date. http://www.caffecorsini.it/single_prod.aspx?id_type=1&name=arabica&lang=en&***=2&id_linea=1
I always stock up on it when they carry it. You can also order it online but at more than twice the price, which would defeat the purpose of the budget.

Now for the equipment. For the budget minded person as well as the purists all you need are two things:

(i) A French Press. This is if you want a good cup of black coffee. The oils are not filtered which makes for a richer cup of coffee. You can find them from $6 to $15. Make sure the size fits your needs. If you only make one cup at a time, get a small one.

(ii)A Espresso Pot.

proxy.php

I hardly ever drink espresso by itself, but the espresso is the basis for many coffee drinks and I use it to make café con leche(6oz cup). Half espresso, have milk and foam. Right now I don't have a steamer, so I use a little battery operated milk frother (about $3.50). It works almost as well and I've gotten to the point where my café con leche is just as good if not better than a Starbucks Latte. Size also matters. Don't get a large pot if you're just going to make just enough for yourself. The small one is good enough for 2 to 3 espressos.
BTW, all the equipment can also be found at Target and Marshall's so that you don't have to make too many trips.
As always YMMV

Diego

Edit: Whatever you do, don't get a drip machine, imo they're useless. The paper filters filter out the oils, the water temp. in many, esp. the cheap ones, is set too high and burns the coffee, and so does the hotplate where you place the pot. Also, don't use tap water. Use a good bottle water instead, or water from filter devices such as Brita. It maked a big difference.

I can certainly vouche for Starbucks Christmas blend. Got some from my mother-in-law for Christmas and that's what I have been grinding and using in my AeroPress lately.

For the past 6 months I've been using "Seatles Best" Organic Sumatra Whole Bean...I grind a package for espresso and another for regular. Brew this in distilled water...no franchise coffee house coffee comes close to this. Try it and be convinced !

I can certainly vouche for Starbucks Christmas blend. Got some from my mother-in-law for Christmas and that's what I have been grinding and using in my AeroPress lately.

To each his own I guess. I find Starbucks, especially the christmas blend, to be the most bitter and burned coffee one can get.

To each his own I guess. I find Starbucks, especially the christmas blend, to be the most bitter and burned coffee one can get.

That's the reason many refer to it as CharBucks. Most of what I've seen has been over-roasted, and all the subtle flavors are gone.

I've got to try some of Dinder's stuff. Looking at his website, he makes that point and clearly slow-roasts to a rational, flavorful, medium roast.

It's really easy to produce a dark/black, oily bean. All you have to do is pour heat to the beans for a few minutes --and it totally ruins the coffee.

-- John Gehman

Wow, this thread blew up!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I look forward to trying at least some of them.

Somebody asked where I lived. It's not Texas. I'm presently in New York City.

Just to clarify the instant coffee thing:

I started drinking coffee when I was a sophmore in high school. I really took it up strictly to keep myself awake. My sleep schedule was a little disorganized, and I was often exhausted when I woke up. Because I never had time to really sit back and enjoy anything, I'd just boil some water, put some instant coffee in a thermos, pour the water in and off to school I went. It was really the quickest solution.

So, years later, I'm still used to it. I've sort of grown up on it and hadn't thought of changing until I moved to Manhattan and experienced what a big city has to offer. And now that I'll have an apartment with a kitchen, I can fit a coffee pot in there.

So, that's my justification. And I swear, when you've grown up on it, it's really not that bad.!

Anyhow, thanks again for the recommendations. I look forward to trying them as soon as I move and get my new mailing address set up!

Wow, this thread blew up!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I look forward to trying at least some of them.

Somebody asked where I lived. It's not Texas. I'm presently in New York City.

Just to clarify the instant coffee thing:

I started drinking coffee when I was a sophomore in high school. I really took it up strictly to keep myself awake. My sleep schedule was a little disorganized, and I was often exhausted when I woke up. Because I never had time to really sit back and enjoy anything, I'd just boil some water, put some instant coffee in a thermos, pour the water in and off to school I went. It was really the quickest solution.

So, years later, I'm still used to it. I've sort of grown up on it and hadn't thought of changing until I moved to Manhattan and experienced what a big city has to offer. And now that I'll have an apartment with a kitchen, I can fit a coffee pot in there.

So, that's my justification. And I swear, when you've grown up on it, it's really not that bad.!

Anyhow, thanks again for the recommendations. I look forward to trying them as soon as I move and get my new mailing address set up!

Good point you might want to go to shops and try diff. coffees and styles of brewing first. I have a friend who swears by Folgers instant, he could afford to drink what ever his heart desires and he drinks instant says its the best.

Are you from the New England area, Dinkin Dounuts coffee is like a cult thing up there:biggrin:

I heard a story on the radio the other day about a guy who was transfered from Boston to the deep south. When he lived in Boston he would visit Dunkin Donuts over a dozen times a day, he was a salesman, when transfered to the south he called Dunkin Dounuts and asked why aren't you down here. They said would you like open a store-he quite his job and now owns three stores.

AJ

Eh, they couldn't compete with Krispy Kreme. :001_tt2:

But seriously, we have a Dunkin' in Anderson, SC. I like 'em both! (And they both have good joe.)

So, can anyone recommend anything? I must mention that I'm on a budget here. I can't afford coffee that was hand delivered from Colombia by El Presidente Uribe the night before it hit the store.

For inexpensive, grocery store coffee, I really like 8 O'Clock. The regular in the red bag is quite good and the 100% Colombian in the dark brown bag is very good. At Wal-Mart, I usually pay about $3.49 per bag (12 or 13 oz bags).

Tim

Like Scott said, the Eight O'Clock beans aren't at all bad for grocery store beans. Grind the beans and brew them immediately, and you won't go too far wrong. The best bang for the buck in coffee brewers is the Melitta pour-over, but it's not found easily anymore. Most people are lazy (I am) and want to just put water and grinds in the thing and push a button. I use a pour-over from Sweetmarias that fits on to my Thermos when I'm on the road, but I use my Capresso Aroma Classic 461 at home.

Wayne

Peaberry coffees? Are they worth the extra money or is it hype?

Green or Roasted?

The green are more difficult to roast well. I've had both green and bought roasted Tanzania Peaberry and it was ...Okay... but nothing special IMO. It does have its fans, tho. I'm more inclined to other coffees.

-- John Gehman

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I'll third the Eight O' Clock coffee rec...primarily the Brown Bag Coulmbian; but then again I shave with a 1961 Fat Boy and Williams shaving soap.

Mike

Top Bottom