What's new

Newcomer checking in

Hi everyone,

I've been reading the forums and reviews here for a couple of months and decided to delurkify myself.

I'd been shaving mostly with cartridge razors (Trac II and Mach 3) and canned goo, with the occasional shave using a Braun or Norelco electric. However, as may be familiar to everyone here, the quality my shaves just never felt all that great, not to mention a constant battle with skin irritation. Finally, in a fit of frustration (and after watching Don Draper wetshaving in an episode of Mad Men) I hit Google to find some relief.

To make a short story longer, I found and ordered Leisureguy's book on gourmet shaving and then hit classicshaving.com for a Parker 91R, a bowl, a five-pack of Merkur blades, and some soap. I already had a brush I'd received as a gift with a fancy wooden Trac II handle some years ago so I was set.

Thanks to Leisureguy's blog I discovered links to this site and mantic59's videos, both of which have really helped me get my technique up to speed. So far so good: only one nasty cut (razor slipped out of my hand and left me a lasting impression to pay attention) and a couple of months of shaves better than anything I'd ever had before, plus a less irritated face.

However, because of all of your inspiration/influence/Jedi mind tricks, I've also expanded my shaving kit to include the VdH shaving set (love that soap!), an extra VdH brush, a L'Occitane travel brush, a Gillette ball end tech, a Gilette travel razor, and a Personna injector that just arrived today... not to mention the tubes of C.O. Bigelow and KMF cream sitting next to them on the counter. Amazing that I am still coming out ahead money-wise! Even if I wasn't, though, the quality of my shaves more than makes up for it.

I'm looking forward to spending some more quality time with y'all!

Doug K.

Last edited:
No mention of a Sampler Pack of Blades.... I found the Merkurs to be rough. Welcome to B&B... sounds like you are on the right track...Ask lots of questions we have lots of experts who love to help

Welcome aboard!!

Did you say fancy wooden Trac II handle??!! Tracs are wonderful performers but never heard about a wooden handle...Pic somewhere?

Merkur blades!??:eek: OUCH...

Wow, that was fast! Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! To answer a couple of questions that were posed...

BrianW, I didn't order a blade sampler pack but worked through the Merkur blade pack (just OK, nothing great) before I went to the drugstore and picked up their generic brand, which I assume are Personnas. These blades seem to work pretty well, so I'll stick with them until I'm sure I have my technique down.

At some point I'll probably branch out and try some different blades, soaps, andcreams, but I'm trying to stick with products I can get locally as much as possible. Frankly, the limited product variety is probably working in my favor while I'm trying to nail down my technique because I'm not changing variables very often. I'm pretty lucky that the stuff I'm able to get actually works very well for me.

Lamina, all I know about the wooden Trac II handle I have is that it came in a gift set I received a few years ago along with a wood-handled shaving brush, a comb, and a couple of other items. I mostly use it when I have to travel by air. I'll attach a picture for those who are interested (sorry for the quality, just grabbed my phone to snap a quick shot.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Welcome. This is a neat place and it is not just about shaving. The list of things that people are passionate about and discuss is endless.

Top Bottom