What's new

Questions about refinishing a Ever-Ready Brush...

I bought an Ever-Ready brush off the bay for $8.04 shipped. It looks like a beater of a brushand I won't know until I see it it.
I was thinking of refinishing/restoring the handle and replacing the knot with a good badger hair.

My questions:
1) Should I take care sanding not to eliminate the Ever-Ready name?
2) Should I stay true to the color scheme?
3) What waterproof glue would you recommend for the knot?
4) Is complete restoration sacrilegious? i.e. am I ruining it by making it more usable?

Any help you provide will be appreciated.

John

Last edited:
Bit2 - For me a restoration tries to stay as true to the original as possible. That being said, I would do everything possible to preserve the original Ever Ready imprint. If you decide to repaint the brush, try to find a paint match as close to the original as possible. Before repainting, carefully mask the original Everyready logo/imprint with painters masking tape, this way when you remove it the original lettering should remain. I would suggest using an ovoid shaped mask which just covers the original lettering. So in the end you'll have a newly painted brush with a tiny remnant of the original paint and lettering left as an emblem of the past.

Bit2 - For me a restoration tries to stay as true to the original as possible. That being said, I would do everything possible to preserve the original Ever Ready imprint. If you decide to repaint the brush, try to find a paint match as close to the original as possible. Before repainting, carefully mask the original Everyready logo/imprint with painters masking tape, this way when you remove it the original lettering should remain. I would suggest using an ovoid shaped mask which just covers the original lettering. So in the end you'll have a newly painted brush with a tiny remnant of the original paint and lettering left as an emblem of the past.

I appreciate the information.
I have an Ever-Ready brush, all wood handle and there is no number associated with it. I picked it up cheap off the Bay. I was thinking of going down to Sherwin Williams and matching up the paint. It does look an awful lot like International Harvester Red.

Thanks for the info. Here are some pics....from the bay of my brush....

John

Harvester Red may be an excellent choice! It is the best match for restoring Gillette Red Tips. It has a wonderful "vintage/heritage/early American/colonial" quality to it. Good decision. But definitely, and carefully mask the original logo. OR another thought. If the logo is recessed in the wood deeply enough. You could paint the entire handle and then after a couple of days, when it was fully dry, take a very fine brush and repaint the original lettering with a matching color. This will be tricky as a smear may not be easy to remove perfectly.

1) Should I take care sanding not to eliminate the Ever-Ready name?
Yes

2) Should I stay true to the color scheme?
If you want

3) What waterproof glue would you recommend for the knot?
Marine Epoxy

4) Is complete restoration sacrilegious? i.e. am I ruining it by making it more usable?
If you're collecting it, or are not confident in your restoration abilities then it is sacrilegious. Otherwise go for it.

Top Bottom