What's new

The Airport - the Ninth Circle of the Fashion Inferno

Gentlemen, it's all about flying in uniform.

It's quite the opposite to what a lot of you are saying. I don't dress in a comfortable manner for the flight because they're usually overly accommodating.

Don't get me wrong. I don't pray on peoples generosity. But if bumping me up to first class makes them feel like a good person, then who am I to take that away from them.

First class or not though, fur-lined winter desert boots for a 17 hour flight isn't the most pleasurable of feelings. I would take them off but I like to think of myself a considerate guy and to unleash that boot odor onto the other passengers just wouldn't do my spirit any good.

Thank you for your service, and thank you for not taking your boots off.

I was bumped up to first class once when I was flying back from some training. The guy next to me said I should relax and take my boots off. I had to respectfully decline. The last thing I wanted was to have the hazmat team called out to decon my feet! :eek: :biggrin:

Boots? The USMC didn't allow travel in utilities, unless it was a charter, and all our other uniforms use shined shoes as footgear. No offense to the other services if they allow it, but traveling in what is really a field uniform is the military equivalent of civilians slumming in jeans and t-shirts, IMH and crusty O.

I was in dress Blues once at an airport, waiting to pick up someone, and I got to watch the Staff Sergeant I was with (I think I was a PFC at the time) deal with a Moonie who tried to pin a flower on his uniform, despite several verbal warnings not to proceed.

That was the only trouble I've had with airports and uniforms, every other time it was all kindness and courtesy.

Thank you for your service, and thank you for not taking your boots off.

I was bumped up to first class once when I was flying back from some training. The guy next to me said I should relax and take my boots off. I had to respectfully decline. The last thing I wanted was to have the hazmat team called out to decon my feet! :eek: :biggrin:

And thank you for yours. I'm glad you know what I mean about the hazards of boot foot.

Boots? The USMC didn't allow travel in utilities, unless it was a charter, and all our other uniforms use shined shoes as footgear. No offense to the other services if they allow it, but traveling in what is really a field uniform is the military equivalent of civilians slumming in jeans and t-shirts, IMH and crusty O.

I was in dress Blues once at an airport, waiting to pick up someone, and I got to watch the Staff Sergeant I was with (I think I was a PFC at the time) deal with a Moonie who tried to pin a flower on his uniform, despite several verbal warnings not to proceed.

That was the only trouble I've had with airports and uniforms, every other time it was all kindness and courtesy.

I somewhat agree with you. The Army seems to be the only one trundling around in ACUs even when not in the field. I the next time I travel in uniform I think I'm going to opt for Class As because even though I have a good excuse, I still feel a little under dressed. Peoples think you're doing something really important though because apparently that's the only time to wear them. I don't know about other Soldiers but I like donning a tie and suit of any kind.

Also, no matter what they say, everyone wishes their uniform was as snappy as Dress Blues :biggrin:

I travel about 12 - 17 weeks per year on business, usually for 2 weeks at a time. I wear a blazer or sport jacket and slacks on the plane. One reason is that I like to dress nice, the other reason is that since I tend to wear jackets out to dinner in the evening, there is one less to pack.

To all of the service men and women on this thread, thanks for your service.
Regarding travel in uniform, when I was in you weren't allowed off base in fatigues. Civvies or authorized dress uniform only. Same with travel. It bothers me to see senior officers in BDU or fight suit when not in the field or flight line. It just shows a lack of pride.

If Im flying with family out of the country I dont bother looking fancy.Some comfy jeans since the seats are gross and a comfy shirt. But I might be heading to Canada for a weekend to visit a friend,I will be dam if I dont wear some nice dark jeans and a fancy shirt..Its all about first impressions with her and her friends ;)

Top Bottom