What's new

Is There Any Real Difference Between the Gillette Red/Blue/Black Tip Razors?

Ok, so I've seen the Gillette Red Tip SS, Blue Tip SS and Black Tip SS. Essentially, from what I've seen, they all look like the same exact razor, but just with a different colored tip. I know that apparently they are supposed to have some rank of order as far as aggressiveness (and if someone could help me out with how they rank, please do). Is there any real difference at all between them the color of their tips or is it actually a bit more than just that?

they have different ammounts of blade exposure and different weight. The red tip exposing the most and being heaviest, the blue tip being lightest and with the least exposure

how long is a piece of string

it all comes down to your face really, my man

22 5/16 inches. Hey, I just measured it, the tape doesn't lie! Oh, I see, you mean different pieces of string....

Heavier razors and/or a larger blade gap (more exposure) tend to be associated with a more aggressive razor. Just like "which is the best setting" on an adjustable, it's going to depend on you (I guess mdunn already said that :wink:).

ETA: BTW, the black tip (unless there's a black tip flare tip I've not heard about yet) denotes the plastic TTO knob on a '40's style Super Speed, as opposed to the metal TTO knob on the majority of the 40's style Super Speed. To help sort the confusion, have a look at AsylumGuido's great Super Speed Identification thread, and all will be cleared up.

Last edited:
Ok, so I've seen the Gillette Red Tip SS, Blue Tip SS and Black Tip SS. Essentially, from what I've seen, they all look like the same exact razor, but just with a different colored tip. I know that apparently they are supposed to have some rank of order as far as aggressiveness (and if someone could help me out with how they rank, please do). Is there any real difference at all between them the color of their tips or is it actually a bit more than just that?

I believe the only different is the weight of the 3 types. There is only one instruction for all 3:

proxy.php

22 5/16 inches. Hey, I just measured it, the tape doesn't lie! Oh, I see, you mean different pieces of string....

Heavier razors and/or a larger blade gap (more exposure) tend to be associated with a more aggressive razor. Just like "which is the best setting" on an adjustable, it's going to depend on you (I guess mdunn already said that :wink:).

ETA: BTW, the black tip (unless there's a black tip flare tip I've not heard about yet) denotes the plastic TTO knob on a '40's style Super Speed, as opposed to the metal TTO knob on the majority of the 40's style Super Speed. To help sort the confusion, have a look at AsylumGuido's great Super Speed Identification thread, and all will be cleared up.

Is the "black tip" razor with the plastic TTO knob not built very well? Is there a version with a black metal knob?

My black tip is from 1951 and in superb condition. Mine also has the aluminum handle. They're built fine, not sure if Gillette was just experimenting, or if there was a desire to change the balance etc? The vast majority of the '40's style Super Speeds do have a metal tip (plated finish that matches the handle). They were produced from 1947 to 1954, and are revered to be a fine shaving razor. The black tip is just a variation of these, and not to be confused with the Red Tip and Blue Tip which were of the Flare Tip or '50's style Super Speeds.

Last edited:
Is the "black tip" razor with the plastic TTO knob not built very well? Is there a version with a black metal knob?

There was a very rare version of the black tip made with a metal knob, but I have only seen two of them. The quality of all of these are excellent. Gillette was simply experimenting for a couple of years starting in 1951.

There was a very rare version of the black tip made with a metal knob, but I have only seen two of them. The quality of all of these are excellent. Gillette was simply experimenting for a couple of years starting in 1951.

I'm told that this one that I just bought is fairly rare itself. Is that true or is it nothing too special?

They are not as numerous as standard 40's stype SS's, but they are not what I would call rare. They do usually demand a small premium over their standard cousins.

Ok, but if it came down to it, which razor would you much rather have in your rotation? A Red-Tip SS, a Blue-Tip SS or this Black-Tip one that I just picked up?

Ok, but if it came down to it, which razor would you much rather have in your rotation? A Red-Tip SS, a Blue-Tip SS or this Black-Tip one that I just picked up?

They are completely different and that decision would vary from person to person. I would lean toward a Red Tip myself because it is almost identical in head design and weight to the late 40's Aristocrat which is my favorite solid bar TTO. But personally, I prefer NEW (1930's), New Improved (1920's) and Old Type (1910-20's) razors.

I have not used the Blue Tip SS. I have used the standard flare tip Super Speed, 1968'ish. I have also used the Red Tip. Hands down, I prefer the Red Tip SS. The weight is better for me, and I like the exposure of the blade as well. Each of the razors you mentioned is different beyond the handle color. Blue is mildest, A silver flare tip is considered "middle of the road", and the Red Tip is the most aggressive. The black tip you mention was produced prior to the Blue and Red Tips. The Blue, Silver, and Red are all in the Flare Tip style. The black tip was produced before the flare, so they are technically not in the same Model Line. Once the adjustable went to market, Gillette did not see a need to produce the variations on the fixed head razors, and ceased production. Here is a good wiki on razors ranked by aggressiveness: Follow Me!

I have not used the Blue Tip SS. I have used the standard flare tip Super Speed, 1968'ish. I have also used the Red Tip. Hands down, I prefer the Red Tip SS. The weight is better for me, and I like the exposure of the blade as well. Each of the razors you mentioned is different beyond the handle color. Blue is mildest, A silver flare tip is considered "middle of the road", and the Red Tip is the most aggressive. The black tip you mention was produced prior to the Blue and Red Tips. The Blue, Silver, and Red are all in the Flare Tip style. The black tip was produced before the flare, so they are technically not in the same Model Line. Once the adjustable went to market, Gillette did not see a need to produce the variations on the fixed head razors, and ceased production. Here is a good wiki on razors ranked by aggressiveness: Follow Me!

Thanks! That really helped a lot! Wow, so a Gillette Red-Tip SS is actually more aggressive than today's Merkur HD 34C?!

Thanks! That really helped a lot! Wow, so a Gillette Red-Tip SS is actually more aggressive than today's Merkur HD 34C?!

According to the Wiki, the US version is slightly less aggressive than the Merkur HD, and the British version is slightly more aggressive. So depends on how you read it.

Top Bottom