What's new

Any Kilt-wearers on the site?

Anybody can design a tartan and submit it - the register's purpose is only make sure that the tartans are unique and to maintain the association between the name and the tartan.

Since the link between clans and tartans is so recent and tenuous, for the most part it's best to think of the clan name as simply the name of the pattern, and not think of the clan as somehow "owning" the pattern. There are tartans that are owned, the Burberry Plaid is one example (though it's a variation on Thompson Camel which is an unrestricted tartan), as are a few clan tartans that were designed as such and registered as "restricted", though in the case of a restricted tartan the restriction is one of convention and not law - the mills agree not to weave that tartan without permission. The Balmoral plaid is currently restricted for use by the royal family, but at one time was an unrestricted plaid so occasionally items show up and are perfectly legal to wear.

So, in your opinion, do you think it's legal/OK/advisable for one with Little heritage (me) to wear that particular tartan?

Sorry if' you've already answered that; this morning's information is still new to me, so I want to make sure I understand it and "get it right":001_smile.

So, in your opinion, do you think it's legal/OK/advisable for one with Little heritage (me) to wear that particular tartan?

Sorry if' you've already answered that; this morning's information is still new to me, so I want to make sure I understand it and "get it right":001_smile.

Which tartan are you talking about, the "Little of Morton Rigg"? Sure, since it's not a restricted tartan. The trick will be acquiring the material. Email one of the big mills (Lochcarron, House of Edgar, D.C. Dalgliesh) and ask if the have it in stock. A lot of the more obscure tartans are only made every few years, or must be special ordered - it's possible that the Clan Little Society tartan is a special order tartan and they just ordered a dozen or so bolts of it, in which case they may be the fastest (and cheapest) way to get it.

Burnetts & Struth (which I think is basically Lochcarron of Canada) has a service where you provide the material and measurements and they make you a kilt, so if you can get the tartan material you're set.

For a kilt you'll want 13oz tartan at a minimum, and preferably 16 or 18oz tartan. The lighter 10oz and 11oz material is for skirts and scarves and ties.

If you want to get a kilt to try before plunking down that kind of coin, then you might want to try one of Burnetts & Struth's casual kilts, which are 5-yard machine-sewn kilts that are well suited for daily wear. They regularly have sales on casual kilts in a variety of tartans, for less than US$200. Again, the clan names on the various tartans are really only the names of the tartan, so you can wear any tartan that you find attractive. I've got a MacGregor Modern which I've got some association with from my mother's side, but I prefer my Chisholm Hunting with which I've no association at all, since the Macgregor Modern bears a more than passing resemblance to a Christmas tablecloth.

Last edited:
Which tartan are you talking about, the "Little of Morton Rigg"? Sure, since it's not a restricted tartan. The trick will be acquiring the material. Email one of the big mills (Lochcarron, House of Edgar, D.C. Dalgliesh) and ask if the have it in stock. A lot of the more obscure tartans are only made every few years, or must be special ordered - it's possible that the Clan Little Society tartan is a special order tartan and they just ordered a dozen or so bolts of it, in which case they may be the fastest (and cheapest) way to get it.

Burnetts & Struth (which I think is basically Lochcarron of Canada) has a service where you provide the material and measurements and they make you a kilt, so if you can get the tartan material you're set.

For a kilt you'll want 13oz tartan at a minimum, and preferably 16 or 18oz tartan. The lighter 10oz and 11oz material is for skirts and scarves and ties.

Correct - I was referring to the Little of Morton Rigg tartan.

My utmost thanks to you, sir, for all of the information you've shared and that I've absorbed this morning!

My utmost apologies to everyone else, as I've turned this thread into "All About Me". :blushing:

Correct - I was referring to the Little of Morton Rigg tartan.

My utmost thanks to you, sir, for all of the information you've shared and that I've absorbed this morning!

My utmost apologies to everyone else, as I've turned this thread into "All About Me". :blushing:

Hey, don't worry. I'm descended from the Bell, Smith and Cowgill clans myself. So all this information on tartans, clans and other stuff is quite interesting, not to mention useful. :001_smile

Was with some friends last night and one of them is from Scotland.

Older gentleman (British Army) who does look great in his Kilt. Had those high legging socks with a knife in his left one.

Told me the reason for the knife was when you go to someone's castle (home) you would leave your weapons at the door. Reason he said was it's not a good idea to have a bunch of Scotsman drinking with swords etc readily available. Yet it was permissible to have the knife for self-defense.

Note to self,:001_rolle avoid drunken Scotsman with swords, axes and other fun toys from the pre20th century.

If the clan catch you wearing a tartan you are not entitled to wear then they will de-kilt you and burn down your croft.

I wore a kilt once. I was doing a detail with the United States Military Academy Pipes and Drum Corp. It was the middle of fall and definantly remember the breeze throughout the day. Good times. Don't think I will wear one again.

i only wear a kilt after bathing

:^)

full kilt dress is a wondrous thing, though - surely one of the most formal and honorable attires in the world

I hear there's a kilt-maker in Dallas somewhere. As I've recently (past couple of years) become very interested in my Scottish ancestry (I'm basically 1/2 Scottish, 1/3 Irish, 1/3 German), I'd like to look into wearing one myself.

I guess that proofs it... you're more than a man, 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/3 = .... :lol:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yes. Two Utilikilts and two tartans from Burnetts & Struth - a Chisholm Modern Hunting (for hunting) and a MacGregor Modern (mother's side is listed as a sept of MacGregor). I generally wear a kilt on the weekends and afternoons, though I have on occasion worn it to work. Actually the only time I've ever been asked "the question" was at work, which I thought was in poor taste. Fortunately the only "kilt check" I've ever received has been by the wife, who quite likes me in a kilt.
Does her admiration for your kiltwearing have anything to do with the results of that kilt check? :eek:

For those in such a situation, or with even less Scotch couring through their veins, there are plenty of non-clan tartans out there so just about anyone could find a tartan to kilt-up with.

I wore a kilt my 4 years in high school, as I was in the marching band which was kilted. Unfortunately, the kilts were made out of JC Penny cloth, which I believe was for curtains, or bedspreads, or something. (The Penny Tartan) Don't have a kilt currently, but I always enjoyed them.

I have 3 and counting, a Utilikilt Workman, 2 Stillwater Standards in the Black Stewart tartan, that I wear when competing in the Highland Games, and currently looking at a NeoKilt as well. You should check out Xmarksthescot.com, you will find answers to all of the above questions and some questions that you didn't know you had! :biggrin:

I am ashamed to say that I do not own a kilt but I do have a nice tartan scarf on the Stuart of Bute pattern (my mothers family) and a Royal Stewart fob and I have been known to wear both at official town functions.

I am a proud descendant of John "The Black" Stewart, Sheriff of Buteshire.

Wp

I have in the past yes, and I have had to do the brass plate check :wink:
I did wear one for some years after leaving the forces but increasing waist size and decreasing wallet made it impossible to keep up (plus I got fed up of drunken women ((and some drunken men)) asking me if I were a "true scot", and asking for proof :crying:

PS, THIS FREECLUBMAN ROB SIGN I KEEP SEEING, DOES ONE NEED TO COLLECT COUPONS OR SOMETHING TO GET THE AFOREMENTIONED FREE CLUBMAN ROB?

Last edited:
Top Bottom