What's new

Aeropress

I'm thinking of buying an Aeropress coffee maker. Has anyone tried it? Is it worth the effort or just a bunch of hype. I'm now using a french press but hate the sediment left behind. Please give me some advice.

I love mine, and use it every day. I 86'ed my french press for just the reason you stated. The Aeropress doesn't leave any sediment, and clean up is super easy. Bottom line, a guy who makes flying toys came up with better press. It makes a fine cup of coffee.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I love mine . . . my wife is hooked so a bit of work for me . . . way less crud in our cups of coffee . . . great stuff if you get fresh roasted beans.

it is absolutely awesome product, you should definitely get it.
I still use my french press at home, and keep my aeropress at work since cleanup is much easier than the french press

awesome device, you won't regret getting it....unless you don't like great coffee that's simple to make :smile:

go ahead and do a search on the forum for aeropress, there's tons of discussion been made here about it...

what's more, the inventor is even a member here

Last edited:
I have one and use it occasionally, very good coffee, but it doesn't deliver the full, rich flavor of a French Press--and the reason is fairly obvious: bottom line, it's still filtered coffee. True, there's no sediment, less mess, etc., but it's still filtered coffee.

I've been using the Aeropress almost daily for more than two years now. It's a great coffee maker delivering a smooth cup. Different results than one would get from a French press where the grounds are soaked for several minutes compared to just seconds in the Aeropress.

I'm a big fan of the Aeropress, I keep one in the office, one in the car and I even have a spare in the house.

It's a different drink to that from the French press, less body I find.
I also like the fact it's easier to clean up than most other methods.

FP>aeropress, in my opinion.

Several reasons. All subjective.

If you just want a cleaner cup from your press, there are alternative options available.

Rather than putting the lid on top, stick a plate on top to trap the heat.

Once the time is up, gently stir the floating grounds with a soup spoon so the heavier particles sink. Skim the floaters out with the same spoon until there are none left.

Then stick the lid on and press. You should feel little to no resistance.

Enjoy your clean yet full-flavored cup. (it's known as the "cupping method", and it happens to be my favorite)

Thanks everyone for all the help. I ordered an Aeropress on the bay and am expecting it in the next day or so. I'll let you all know how it works out in about a week.

I'm not disagreeing with you, in terms of flavor.
In terms of 'easy enough cleanup to keep one in the office', the Aeropress wins hands down :wink:

I prefer the unfiltered french press, and in fact have a 32 oz thermos to store the pressing of my 32 oz Bodum, but when I'm at the office and it's either dripomatic or filtered press, the answer is obvious :biggrin:

it is an awesome gadget

Oh sure, I didn't mean to imply anything about convenience. I pack my aeropress and hario skerton along with my coffee when I'm traveling. It does its job well, but when both are available at any given time, I'll choose the press nine times out of ten.

I have one and use it occasionally, very good coffee, but it doesn't deliver the full, rich flavor of a French Press--and the reason is fairly obvious: bottom line, it's still filtered coffee. True, there's no sediment, less mess, etc., but it's still filtered coffee.

I was intrigued by the Aeropress at first, but now I have reservations.

In musical terms, I accentuate the positive first and then start to think about eliminating the negative. I don't mess with Mr. In-Between. For me, the sediment of a French Press isn't a valid constraint, but then I'm also a champion of body, earthy flavors and unchill-filtered whiskey. And don't get me started on Pinot Noirs.

Is the Aeropress a Mr. In-Between solution, where you deny yourself the upside of a French Press just to avoid looking at some sludge in the bottom of a cup, or does it have its own charms?

Roger

I got my Aeropress two days ago. I really like it and so does SWMBO. It makes a great cup of coffee, it's quick and easy, and clean up is easy. Some people complained that it uses too much coffee per cup. For me this is untrue because I'm only using the coffee I'll drink. No more throwing away cold coffee dregs. And no I'm not a coffee snob. I just want a good cup of coffee without the mess and bother.

Several reasons. All subjective.

If you just want a cleaner cup from your press, there are alternative options available.

Rather than putting the lid on top, stick a plate on top to trap the heat.

Once the time is up, gently stir the floating grounds with a soup spoon so the heavier particles sink. Skim the floaters out with the same spoon until there are none left.

Then stick the lid on and press. You should feel little to no resistance.

Enjoy your clean yet full-flavored cup. (it's known as the "cupping method", and it happens to be my favorite)

After a decade of french pressing and a three-year dabble with a Bialletti, the Aeropress has revolutionized my enjoyment of coffee.

Both the other methods can produce outstanding coffee, but, for me, not often enough. I'd get the perfect french press cup six or eight times out of ten, the perfect Bialletti cup four or five out of ten.

The Aeropress is so fool-proof I'm never less than satisfied.

It may be true that a perfectly made cup from a french press has properties the Aeropress can never achieve, but not in my (long) experience. Add to that the Aeropress's relative durability, ease of clean-up, and minuscule pricetag, and I find myself almost never using my other coffee makers. Okay, I still use the french press when I need to fill a thermos or make several cups at once, and I still use the Bialletti when my Aeropress is at the office, but every cup I've ever made with the Aeropress has been superb.

I've had my Aeropress for two weeks now. It was $25.00 very well spent. It makes a great cup of coffee without any of the mess or bother of a french press. Sure it looks strange when compared to other coffee makers, but I would imagine the de razor looked strange when compared to the straight razor. If you like a consistantly good cup of coffee without alot of trouble, get an Aeropress. I'm sure you won't be sorry.

You can get a double-walled Bodum that will keep the coffee heat in.

Getting off topic, but I like my coffee to steep in the French Press for 4 - 4 1/2 minutes. The Aeropress is much less. Left to sit and steep much longer than 5 minutes, many unsavory, bitter flavors will get extracted from the grounds.

I never let coffee sit in the FP longer than the original steep and allways store the excess in a thermos - works great.

Getting off topic, but I like my coffee to steep in the French Press for 4 - 4 1/2 minutes. The Aeropress is much less. Left to sit and steep much longer than 5 minutes, many unsavory, bitter flavors will get extracted from the grounds.

I never let coffee sit in the FP longer than the original steep and allways store the excess in a thermos - works great.
Aaaaah, I never even considered that.

But how about this? Suppose you were to get a double-walled FP, pour in the hot water, put the plunger in about half-way, then put the grounds ON TOP of the plunger, push the plunger to the bottom, let it steep, then extract the grounds by lifting the plunger up.

Would that work, or am I missing something?

Aaaaah, I never even considered that.

But how about this? Suppose you were to get a double-walled FP, pour in the hot water, put the plunger in about half-way, then put the grounds ON TOP of the plunger, push the plunger to the bottom, let it steep, then extract the grounds by lifting the plunger up.

Would that work, or am I missing something?

Well, I've never tried that, but I would guess that you'd end up with all of those grounds in your cup.

Maybe you could remove the plunger and ALL of the grounds, wipe the remaining grounds from the lip of the FP, then rinse the plunger and replace, but i think it'd still be simpler just to use a thermos...

Last edited:
Top Bottom