What's new

Gillette Techmatic

No; think audio cassette but instead of magnetic tape you have a ribbon of razor sharp stainless steel. Turn the knob and advance a new unused section of blade.

Hi there,
Well, being an old geezer of 57, I remember using one of those techmatics when they were new. I was in the military, and these things were issued to us as part of our gear. Up till then, I'd never used one, but I soon understood why they were given to us. They were SO easy to use...got a decent shave with no thinking, and those things made shaving a lot quicker as well. Less aggressive than even the injectors I was using then, if I'm not mistaken.
As others here mentioned, it was just one long razor ribbon that was advanced as needed, (previous part became dull). Sheesh...that was a while ago.
Martin

Oh, btw, I should probably introduce myself. I've been lurking here for a few months now, and I gotta say that the energy here is a kick! I'm sure I'll be posting here more in the future, hopefully maybe even add something of value.
Congrats to the people who set this community up, musta taken a lot of time and energy. It's all in the motivation, isn't it? As for the members who frequent and contribute to this place.........you got a good group here.

L. Martino - thanks for the information. Please share your name and jump on in to reading and posting here. Its good to have you aboard!

Does anyone sell replacements?

Limey --

The replacement band cartridges have been out of production for a long time, perhaps a couple of decades. I had one of these back in the 60's; they shaved ok as I recall. When I went into the army in '67, I migrated to a black handled Gillette adjustable, and never used a Techmatic after that.

-- John Gehman

You can find unused cartridges NIB (cassettes) on E-Bay. But they've been sitting for close to 40 years so no better then any other Vintage razor blades.

I remember using those Techmatics right after I learned to shave and not being very impressed with the shave.

I recall that shaver in my youth. I don't remember how it shaved but I probably wasn't impressed since I switched to a Schick Injector.
-Joe

I recall that shaver in my youth. I don't remember how it shaved but I probably wasn't impressed since I switched to a Schick Injector.
-Joe

To me it seemed like I was shaving with the edge of a matchbox, and I recall that the blade itself had the slightest amount of play to it. That is a design that would probably work better now with the thin blades that are being used in cartridges today. But I don't think Schick or Gillette will go away from the multiple blade models any time soon to put out a single blade one again.

To me it seemed like I was shaving with the edge of a matchbox, and I recall that the blade itself had the slightest amount of play to it. That is a design that would probably work better now with the thin blades that are being used in cartridges today. But I don't think Schick or Gillette will go away from the multiple blade models any time soon to put out a single blade one again.

I dissected a Mach 3 cartridge. The blades are like little angle irons 1/8inch by 1/16 so they're quite stiff for their size. While a Techmatic is just a spool of razor ribbon and doesn't have anything to keep it under the kind of tension needed to make it rigid. There was also the problem of your unused blades getting and staying wet.

I've got one, which I use with the Schick band cartridges (bought off ebay) . there are two types, one which has adjustable blade exposure, and one which has a fixed blade exposure. There was a Gillette version, and a Schick version of the razor, the gillette is better in that it can use gillette cartridges or Schick cartridges.

It's a pretty nice razor. Esp with the adjustable cartridge, I can get a very good shave. It's a smooth shave, with not much potential for cutting oneself.

The catch is that it's very hard to find cartridges for these anymore. I've got a razor that had 5 new edges, and I was able to pick up a few more cartridges for a total of about 20 edges, but it probably cost me $30 for all of this, which means it's more expensive that a Mach3.

I still use it occasionally. If I could be sure of flying with it (I'd hate to have it taken away) I'd use it as a travel razor, as the ability to advance the edge is quite nice.

Top Bottom