What's new

A stupid question re: dress shirts

I'm a tad bit larger, but not obese or "large" - just not slender.

I'm going to try some suggestions, and take one of my shirts by a tailor to see if that improves anything.

I just received a job offer that dictates professional dress as it stands, so now - this is of real concern, and not just a matter of choice :)

While fitted shirts may be an option depending on your body type, if you're somewhere between the Michelin Man and buff, any decent tailor can take in a shirt to remove excess material for a reasonable fee.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm a tad bit larger, but not obese or "large" - just not slender.

I'm going to try some suggestions, and take one of my shirts by a tailor to see if that improves anything.

I just received a job offer that dictates professional dress as it stands, so now - this is of real concern, and not just a matter of choice :)

Congrats on the job ... of course, if that means you have to (or "get to" :wink:) wear a suit or sports jacket at work, the poofiness is covered up, and problem solved.

A lot of the different brands of "fitted shirts" are designed to fit guys in your description ... Tyrwhitt probably fits your description for example. It's the really "fashion-y" fashion houses (Dolce & Gabanna &c no doubt) that make shirts that closely fit model-skinny guys.

The type of fabric can make a difference in how well a shirt stays tucked in. From my experience, a finer and smoother broadcloth weave may come untucked more readily than coarser oxford fabric. Also, starched shirts have a certain slickness that lend themselves to sliding, although they do look great.

I've encountered the same problem.... its most definately my chair at the office that does it. My chair at home doesn't at all. One is cloth, the other is leather.

Anyway, at the office, its pretty much standard that I'll give a quick tuck as soon as I stand up... and 2-3 times a day I'm in the restroom to give a full proper redress. I know Dockers makes some pants with "shirt stopper" or something inside the waste band that is meant to keep shirts from slipping out. I have one pair and it works ok. But I only wear Dockers maybe twice a month....

Are you slim, or a bit heavier?

That's the nicest way I heard anyone get asked, "Are you fat?" :lol:

While fitted shirts may be an option depending on your body type, if you're somewhere between the Michelin Man and buff, any decent tailor can take in a shirt to remove excess material for a reasonable fee.

I think I resemble that remark,

You may want a bit of "poofiness" as a shiled in case you have to engage in a rubber band war. Just saying...:tongue_sm

When I was younger, longer ago that I care to mention, most tidy trousers had a rubbery band around the inside of the waistband, to keep your shirt in. Looking through my current wardrobe, there is only one pair with this.

Why did they stop this? More profit I guess.

Gareth

I second shirt garter/stays. Get the stirrup style. If it comes loose it'll only snap down. If you wear them long enough there will be a spot on the outside of your calf where the length adjuster is that you will never be able to from hair again. Not good or bad just facts.

Slim fit shirt. Unless you are really big most people look better in slim. For fitted/athletic/skinny (minor differences between these fits) you really need to be fit and or skinny.

I assume that you wear both an undershirt and underwear. Tuck your undershirt into your underwear. Then your dress shirt into your pants. The elastic of your underwear will help hold your dress shirt into place.

If that doesn't work for you, you can find a shirt-keeper at stores that sell fire, EMS and police uniforms (try Galls online, they have similar on that site named after the river). It's like a rubber belt with bumps on both sides. You put it on the outside of your dress shirt, but inside your pants.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
As mentioned, military or uniform shirt garters work well. They clip to the bottom of the shirt and the top of the sock with elastic between. Keeps the shirt in, AND the socks up!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I work in an environment which allows for, but does not dictate that I dress at any particular level from day-to-day. (Information Technology, if you must know, very flexible dress code).

Over the years, I've come to appreciate dressing a bit nicer (not fantastic, but above the common polo shirt and jeans that most I work with wear). Unfortunately, I grew up and was never given a terrible lot of guidance on professional dress, and proper ins-and-outs.

I've run into a problem, where the dress shirt I'm wearing will become less tucked in the back, and leave my backside of the shirt very very "poofy", resulting in an unprofessional image and wrinkles in short order.

Any suggestions? The first thing I considered was posture, but after watching this for a number of days, I found that I've not been slouching, and sure enough - I slowly see the same issue again. I'm happy to hear any ideas - I know I'm all out.

Embarrassing question to say the least, but I'd rather get an answer here than keep looking like an idiot :)
walked:
I agree w/ Mike (aka Cuttingboard),..."You could tuck your shirt in your underwear"...that's what I do. :thumbsup:

I find this method to be more 'comfy, user friendly and reliable' than shirt gaiters (every had a gaiter accidentally 'snap' off [and you know it]...dragging the other end around....and you in public?).
proxy.php

Also...a wise man once said..."The only stupid question❓is the one you didn't ask".

Well Dressed Man.jpg
"You cannot climb the ladder of success dressed in the costume of failure". Zig Ziglar

Last edited:
Top Bottom