What's new

Semogue v. Golden Nib v. Something else

Ok,
I've owned a Shavemac, Kent, & Semogue Silvertip. Of the three, the Kent had to go, too floppy for my tastes.

So, I'm looking to pick up a third brush, for the hell of it. Are the Golden Nib knots similar to the Semogue knots? I might just wait for the B&B LE, but judging from the past, the cost is probably going to put it out of my willingness to pay range.

Thoughts?

IMO the 'do it yourself knots' such as Golden Nib are ALWAYS more scritchy than the quality knots from the bigger manufacturers. If you want something that will tear through soaps what the Nib calls silvertip will do the trick. I think the best Badger hair I've felt has come from Shavemac, Plisson and Kent. Just my .02

Can't comment on comparisons with the high end brushes but my Golden nib silvertip knot has worked out fine.
Plus you're not out too much coin if it doesn't work for you:smile:

IMO the 'do it yourself knots' such as Golden Nib are ALWAYS more scritchy than the quality knots from the bigger manufacturers. If you want something that will tear through soaps what the Nib calls silvertip will do the trick. I think the best Badger hair I've felt has come from Shavemac, Plisson and Kent. Just my .02

This is not true! Or rather, only partially true....:smile:

The "standard" silvertip from GN is indeed too scritchty for my tatses. However, if you get the UK super silvertip, it is as soft as most anything out there. Those are very nice knots.

This is not true! Or rather, only partially true....:smile:

The "standard" silvertip from GN is indeed too scritchty for my tatses. However, if you get the UK super silvertip, it is as soft as most anything out there. Those are very nice knots.

See I just didn't think so. I've tried darn near everything the Nib offers and hadn't yet run across one as nice as the top dogs.

Maybe I missed the one that does.

As we say YMMV this must definitely be a case of that.

I have a 22mm silvertip standard knot and i feel that it is not to scritchty. ActuallyI feel that it is very soft. But like always YMMV.

I have two silvertip golden nib knots and I love the feel of both. I know there is supposed to be a level of luxury that the high end brands provide above and beyond standard silvertip knots, but I'm very satisfied. I can't imagine that a brush costing three times as much could be three times as good. Diminishing returns.

See I just didn't think so. I've tried darn near everything the Nib offers and hadn't yet run across one as nice as the top dogs.

Maybe I missed the one that does.

As we say YMMV this must definitely be a case of that.

Interesting...

You tried the UK super silvertips?

I have two silvertip golden nib knots and I love the feel of both. I know there is supposed to be a level of luxury that the high end brands provide above and beyond standard silvertip knots, but I'm very satisfied. I can't imagine that a brush costing three times as much could be three times as good. Diminishing returns.

I loved my Rooney Alibaba, but sold it afer getting the GN UK super. Not that the GN outshined it, but it became the brush I use almost every day, so teh Alibaba became expendable.

(I do sometimes regret selling it:frown:)

Get yourself a Semogue boar as an AD fix whilst you wait for that special badger. I find mine great for soaps and find the pair of Semogue badger and boar brushes perfect.

I just got a GN brush.....24mm Finest badger(extra) packed in China.

Feels exactly the same to me as Rooney's Finest or Simpsons Two band.

The handle in "alternative ivory" and is hand turned to perfection.

It is a superb shaving brush. The quality is right up there with the very very best.

The price is low however and this causes some people confusion.

As Leighton says if you want English super silver tip, (that by the way is the best badger hair brush head available) GN sells them at what I think is a low price.

GN is a great brush supplier and a total pleasure to deal with.

I have the gn finest extra in a Penworks brush also and it is one fine brush! It exudes luxury. If its scritchy, its scritchy in a good way. I have no problems what so ever with this brush. Its my keeper badger. It sure ended my search for a first class brush.

Ok,
I've owned a Shavemac, Kent, & Semogue Silvertip. Of the three, the Kent had to go, too floppy for my tastes.

So, I'm looking to pick up a third brush, for the hell of it. Are the Golden Nib knots similar to the Semogue knots? I might just wait for the B&B LE, but judging from the past, the cost is probably going to put it out of my willingness to pay range.
Thoughts?

Did the cost put that Bill Ellis razor out of your range?

:tongue_sm
I didn't think so!

I just got a GN brush.....24mm Finest badger(extra) packed in China.

Feels exactly the same to me as Rooney's Finest or Simpsons Two band.

The handle in "alternative ivory" and is hand turned to perfection.

It is a superb shaving brush. The quality is right up there with the very very best.

The price is low however and this causes some people confusion.

As Leighton says if you want English super silver tip, (that by the way is the best badger hair brush head available) GN sells them at what I think is a low price.

GN is a great brush supplier and a total pleasure to deal with.

I have to say they are not the same at all, really a night and day difference.

The finest golden nib knot is softer than a rooney super but not as soft as a rooney heritage and nothing at all like a finest rooney or a 2 band simpsons.

Now dont get me wrong because I really do love the finest GN knot. Its actually one of my favorites.

I have to say they are not the same at all, really a night and day difference.

The finest golden nib knot is softer than a rooney super but not as soft as a rooney heritage and nothing at all like a finest rooney or a 2 band simpsons.

Now dont get me wrong because I really do love the finest GN knot. Its actually one of my favorites.

I totally agree, The GN Finest Extra 2 band is nothing like the Simpsons 2 band but it is also one of my favorites. It really is a totally different knot.

Top Bottom