What's new

Comprehensive List of Gem SE Razors

Assuming that I wanted a complete collection of Gem SE Razors, what models are available?

Here is what I know about:

Gem Lathercatcher
*Gem 1912
*Gem Micromatic Open Comb
*Gem Micromatic Clogpruf
*Gem Micromatic Bullet Tip
*Gem Featherwieght
*Gem G Bar
Gem Contour
Gem Contour II (with all plastic handle).

* = models I presently own

What am I missing from the list? What were the approximate dates of manufacture?

Can someone post pictures of each?

I noticed the Wiki is sadly missing any information on GEM Razors, and many a newbie stumbles by, with no knowledge whatsoever about these wonderful great shaving razors. :frown:

Internet knowledge also seems sparse, and I didn't find a page with any details on the various models.

Last edited:
There's also the slight differences between same models. The Featherweight comes in "silver" and also a gold plated model. The gold one has a little gold bar thing at the bottom of the handle.
The Clog-Pruf has at least two different patterns of the bumps on the comb.
The bullet tip Micro has the all metal ("gold" and "silver") and a plastic tip variety.
G-Bars, or Heavy Flat Tops as GEM called them, have two handle patterns.
These differences aren't really enough to effect the shave, but are likely to be crucial to accurate dating.

You list a Contour and a Contour II. I believe that the leftmost razor is a contour, but the others shown below are Gem pushbuttons. I'm not sure what they'd be called.

proxy.php

- Chris

You list a Contour and a Contour II. I believe that the leftmost razor is a contour, but the others shown below are Gem pushbuttons. I'm not sure what they'd be called.

I thought the Contour had a push button?

The distinction between Contour, and Contour II was made by another member (shave cat, see thread here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103421), as apparently there was a Contour with an all plastic handle, vs. the first model which was plastic/ metal.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
The three non Contour razors shown were introduced in 1958 as the Push Button. I can only guess that the original Contour, which immediately followed the Push Button, also had the push button feature. I have only seen a couple of photos of Contours with flip top heads. I've not seen one in person. I'm assuming that they were manufactured just before the Contour II came out.

-Clarke

Here is another one I have never seen before. I got the photos from user "merwtje", and he called it an EverReady "Jewel":

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Assuming that I wanted a complete collection of Gem SE Razors, what models are available?

Here is what I know about:

Gem Lathercatcher
*Gem 1912
*Gem Micromatic Open Comb
*Gem Micromatic Clogpruf
*Gem Micromatic Bullet Tip
*Gem Featherwieght
*Gem G Bar
Gem Contour
Gem Contour II (with all plastic handle).

* = models I presently own

What am I missing from the list? What were the approximate dates of manufacture?

Can someone post pictures of each?

I noticed the Wiki is sadly missing any information on GEM Razors, and many a newbie stumbles by, with no knowledge whatsoever about these wonderful great shaving razors. :frown:

Internet knowledge also seems sparse, and I didn't find a page with any details on the various models.

This was posted back in 2009 .

Zinn Gem - Different blades, although modern injectors do work today ...
New Gem - Clamshell head, akin to the Star
Gem Improved - Lather Catcher
Model Gem - Lather Catcher
Gem Junior - Lather Catcher
Gem Junior Bar - Lather Catcher
Gem Junior Elite - Lather Catcher ... as "Bar" with long slender handle
Gem De Luxe - Open comb of what would become the Damaskeene/1912
Gem Damaskeene Open Comb - pre-Damaskeene/1912 open comb
Gem Damaskeene - Several variants, one with "1902" on the underside of the head
Gem 1912 - Wide Comb/Squat Head (usually short handle)
Gem 1912 - Wide Comb
Gem 1912 - Revised Comb
Gem Junior - Revised Comb (Blank Tab)
Gem Micromatic Open Comb - Nubless Baseplate (usually brass)
Gem Micromatic Open Comb - Nubbed Baseplate
Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf - 13 Tooth
Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf - 17 Tooth
Gem Micromatic Bullet Tip - Gold/Chrome/Plastic Tip
Gem Jewel - Ever Ready Jewel/Streamline/Ambassador equivalent
Gem G Bar
Gem Featherweight - Two cap variants, one like the G Bar and one much lighter
Gem Pushbutton
Gem Pushbutton - GEM handle with Ever Ready on baseplate "You have bought an Ever-Ready Gem ..." leaflet
Gem Contour - Pushbutton
Gem Contour 1.5 - Fliptop & metal handle
Gem Contour II - Plastic handle & plastic inset
Gem Contour 3? - Plastic handle & sparkly plastic inset

Those are the major types with what I would call considerable differences. Beyond that, there is an abundance of model types, market releases and so on which form what I would call minor differences.

... and that's just GEM. There's Ever-Ready, Star, oddities like RADIO, Oxford and even an Eversharp 1912! Yes, as in Eversharp/Schick!

Top Bottom