What's new

Handle for a Mach 3

I have TOBS and Il Ceppo M3 handles, as well as a Merkur copy Trac II handle. I prefer the way they shave to the lighter plastic handles for a variety of reasons -- balance and feel being the most important ones.

If nothing else, a better handle will add to the enjoyment of your shave, which is really all this is about.

If you only tried DE shaving, I would consider trying a Schick Injector. They shave very similar to cartridges IMO. Blades are available locally too that work fine.
I have never seen a Schick Injector, but you can order the blades here in UK.
Are there only vintage models? or does anyone still make them?

I have never seen a Schick Injector, but you can order the blades here in UK.
Are there only vintage models? or does anyone still make them?

There was a modern looking one being made in Japan, but for the most part they are all vintage.

Here is a website with pictures of the various models:

http://www.safetyrazors.net/schick/schicktech.htm

I have shaved with an Injector a couple of times, and to me it is very similar to the experience with a cartridge razor. The head geometry is way smaller than a DE, so you can very easily get it into tight areas. :w00t::w00t:

I have a Schick Injector type G that I am selling in the B/S/T; not sure what international shipping would cost though:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=101724

Last edited:
My two cents:

If you're going back to cartridge shaving, consider the Sensor Excel instead of the Mach3; less irritation, similar quality shave. You can buy a nice Sensor handle from Merkur. Cartridges are slightly less expensive, too.

+1 Or try an Injector or a SE. My opinion is that expensive M3 handles are a big rip-off. But at least you didn't mention buying one from AOS. :wink:

Interesting, but I wouldn't know where to begin to decide which type would suit me

There isn't really a major difference between any of them aside from slight changes in aggressiveness. The basic design stayed pretty much the same over the entire course of the razor. Just pick one up and try it - the Type Gs are great - I love mine and they are sweet looking razors with those cool 50s Bakelite handles. I also have later 70s Type L that shave a touch milder. It was just a suggestion before you decide to go back to cartridges exclusively. I found Schick Injectors to feel pretty much like a cartridge shave, but you are using a single edge blade that is far cheaper but just as easy to load.

My two cents:
If you're going back to cartridge shaving, consider the Sensor Excel instead of the Mach3; less irritation, similar quality shave.
Tried an Excel. Did not notice any difference in the quality or irritation factor from Mach 3. Did feel a little more flimsy in use (exactly the reason I asked about alternative handles).
I intend to try a Schick Injector for the first time tomorrow.

If you have tried and decided DE is not for you, have you tried SE (schicks and GEMs/ever-readys/Star etc), that is unless you were a new razor only user as there's no new SEs. Forget it, I'm not doing that tonight, SEs are already going up in price enough as it is, no reason to make it more popular.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I like the look of the Trumpers chrome razor and stand.
As a Londoner I am fortunate that I can get to Trumpers and Truefitts fairly easily to see before I buy.

I was hoping (but not expecting) that someone would say "the extra weight or improved balance leads to a better shave".
As that is not the case it is harder to justify the purchase, but I probably will sooner or later.
Well I stopped by Trumpers last night and laid out the cash for a stainless steel handle.
I used it for the first time this morning and my initial impression is:-
1) Looks nice
2) Because it is heavier (and because I have used non-cartridge razors before and learnt about using the weight of the razor instead of pressure) I did get a marginally better shave

For reasons that I cannot explain or justify I just like the combination better

Top Bottom