What's new

Two new razors this week

So, I had horrible luck with my '61 'fatboy' adjustable, but have been getting some awesome shaves with the Tech that I have. So I looked for something similar but newer, and wound up with a Lord branded Tech copy. And it works pretty darn good.

Today, while helping my dad clean up his basement, I found another Gillette razor that I can't ID. It looks like the Tech, but its a TTO, not adjustable, chrome plated metal, black plastic knob on the end of the handle to twist open.

Any ideas?

Sounds like to me its a black tip super speed? Came out in the 40's I believe.

proxy.php

So I looked for something similar but newer, and wound up with a Lord branded Tech copy. And it works pretty darn good.

I recently purchased one of the "Lord" Tech clones as well. Mine has the newer style Merkur like head, but these also come with an older style Tech Like Head. Post a photo, so we can all admire your new Lord razor.

Anyway, I have found the Lord clone (I have dubbed it the "Lord Merkur Tech") to be a phenomenal shaver, that performs well above it's $10 price point. It's going to have a predominant spot in my razor lineup. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

It's one of 3 razors I am using for testing my various blades right now, the other two being a Red Tip Superspeed, and a 40's Style Superspeed.

Koss - Thats it EXACTLY! I tried it tonight and it works pretty darn good!

michiganlover - I'm not sure what you mean about newer style head? Mine has a Tech-like head on it only. And ten bucks!? I pair about $7 for mine, and it's also an awesome razor! In fact I have half a mind to buy another one to drop in my suitcase with a few packs of Lord Platinum blades (Which also seem to work very good) for use as a travel razor.

michiganlover - I'm not sure what you mean about newer style head? Mine has a Tech-like head on it only. And ten bucks!? I pair about $7 for mine, and it's also an awesome razor! In fact I have half a mind to buy another one to drop in my suitcase with a few packs of Lord Platinum blades (Which also seem to work very good) for use as a travel razor.

The Lord Tech clone (the model # printed on the packaging should be LP1822) comes with either a tech like head, or a Merkur like head. The old stock of this razor has a head resembling the head found on a Gillette Tech. These are the ones currently available in the US.

There is a newer version of this razor, that instead is meant to mimic a Merkur, and hence has a Merkur like head. The newer model doesn't appear to be available in the us yet.

I wanted you to post a photo, so I could confirm which head you have. If you had found a US vendor for the one with the Merkur like head, that would be of very great interest to me. :biggrin:

Here are photos of the head for comparison purposes:

The Tech Like Head:

proxy.php

The Merkur Like Head:

proxy.php

Here is a closeup pict of the Merkur Like Head:

proxy.php

proxy.php

As I said the one with the Merkur like head is not currently available in the US. I bought both a "Lord Tech", and a "Lord Smart" from Shoebox Shave Shop, and swapped the handles; the "Lord Smart" has the merkur like head, but also has a plastic handle. The "Lord Tech" has a tech like head, with a metal handle.

~John~

Last edited:
The Gillette Tech is one of my favorites. Loaded up with a Feather, there are few razors at any price point that can get as smooth and wonderful a shave. I have a Lord Tech that I used as a travel razor. Since it's nice and cheap, it wouldn't break my heart if it were to break or go missing, yet it still provides a great shave. I may have to pick up the Lord Smart and swap out handles as well. I kind of like the Lord Tech handle.

I wanted you to post a photo, so I could confirm which head you have. If you had found a US vendor for the one with the Merkur like head, that would be of very great interest to me. :biggrin:

I have the Tech-like head.

I purchased this razor, from this vendor:
Lord Chrome 'Tech' Razor

Note that the "Premium" razor version (Differing only in having a longer handle, I think) is also available, from a different vendor who charges for shipping. This razor ships free.

The Feather Portable is an excellent Tech-like razor at $10 on eBay. Fantastic and smooth little shaver. My go-to for testing blades, and makes the best travel razor money can buy.

I have the Tech-like head.

I purchased this razor, from this vendor:
Lord Chrome 'Tech' Razor

Note that the "Premium" razor version (Differing only in having a longer handle, I think) is also available, from a different vendor who charges for shipping. This razor ships free.

Thanks for letting me know. :001_tongu

If there were a US vendor for the version with the Merkur like head, it would be my go to razor to recommend to all budget minded newbies, or those looking to get their feet wet without spending big money; The "Lord Merkur Tech" is just that dang good!! :001_tt1::001_tt1:

Rolf...

Personally, I'm in love with the Tech style head. It works GREAT with their blades too. I bought one of those wall hanger things that have 20 packs of 5 Lord 'Platinum Class' blades and hung it up instead of the calendar I never use. Hey, Timex watches have a little date window number for a reason!

Koss - Thats it EXACTLY! I tried it tonight and it works pretty darn good!

If you look on the underside of the head, you should be able to find a letter and a number that will allow you to date its manufacture to the year and quarter. I believe these were actually in the early 50's.

The picture that Koss put up actually shows the two variations. One has an aluminum handle, the other nickel plated brass.

- Chris

Yes, I noticed that. I *think* mine has an aluminum handle. I'll take a photo of my collection tonight and note any numbers on the TTO.

What is the quality like on the "merkur" type head?

If compared side by side with a Merkur, it is quite obvious the quality of the plating is not quite up to par. The of the ends of the head also have marks from the mold, that Merkur would have likely ground/ polished off.

For $10, it's not going to look like a Merkur that costs 4 times as much, but it still shaves excellent. :001_tongu:w00t:

I have a Lord Smart razor and love it. Very nice shaver even with the plastic handle and I use it often.

Is the Lord Tech more or less aggressive than the Gillette Tech?

I ask because, although I like the Gillette Tech, it is to mild for me. I really like the style though so if the Lord Tech is a bit more aggressive, that would be great.

Poppi - Right now, I want to say that the Lord is ever so SLIGHTLY more aggressive than the Gillette Tech, but its hard to be sure.

If you'll give me two days I'll try em both out with identical blades and get back to you.

OK, so I did the test with my ball-end Tech...Having read Rant Section 1 of Joel's "My Foray into the world of methodshaving...." post, I'll spare you the gory details about........Well I'm just going to spare you the details, but read at least that paragraph, it's hilarious.

Gillette Ball-End Tech
New Derby Extra blade
Cheap 'Tweezerman' (100%?) badger brush
Col. Conk's amber shave soap
Almost exactly 24 hours of beard growth
Two passes with gain, one pass across

It feels JUST like the Lord razor that Poppi asked me to compare it to. I get a shave that feels totally smooth when brushing with the grain, and just a touch of stubble when going against. It's really hard for me to say which is more aggressive, and I'm worried that I'm too new and not qualified enough to really be the judge of which is more aggressive. That said, I'll do exactly the same thing, and substitute the Lord 'Tech' style razor, 24 hours from now. As posted above, it's going for $8.50, free shipping, on Amazon.com, so its probably worth a try for any fan of the Tech style razors.

Hmmm, great...Now I want a Feather portable....Crap.

I don't have money for blades, yet somehow I just know that now I need a travel razor...

Top Bottom