What's new

Tell me about, combs.

I don't know, and frankly I've given up wondering because:

my open short comb NEW shaves as well or better than my Slanthammer.

I didn't think there was a DE made that was that good.

IMHO, open combs on razors do not necessarily add anything to a shave except adding a nostalgic aspect. Early safety razors had open combs rather than safety bars. The combs kept the blade off your skin, while allowing shaving lather to pass through. In the early days of safety razors, most gents did not shave daily. Some folks feel that the comb allowed for easier shaving of long facial hair. Most likely, Gillette began producing DEs with a solid safety bar as a cost saving measure. Many open comb razors give excellent shaves, but then, so do many safety bar razors. It's a matter personal preference.

-Clarke

"They say" that open combs tend to be more aggressive and/or are better for heavy or coarse beards as the blade has more direct contact with the hair and possibly a greater blade gap. I find that to be true, in my experience, but I'm sure some will chime in with their experience which is that the OCs are no more aggressive than a closed comb.

Myself, I can't shave with an OC two days in a row without chewing up by neck. But, they are very good when I skip a day of shaving and also for the patch under my lower lip (which having a goatee, I let grow out and then shave when it gets too long).

I don't know, and frankly I've given up wondering because:

my open short comb NEW shaves as well or better than my Slanthammer.

I didn't think there was a DE made that was that good.
+1!!

Been using this beauty for the majority of the last week:

proxy.php

I've been blown away by the great shaves I've been getting with it!!

This is a very non-specific question. There are lots of different open combs which shave differently from each other. Some aggressive, some mild. So no general answer can be given

One of my favorite razors is the 12C Barber Pole open-comb, I find it very easy to shave with, meaning fewer nicks and cuts when shaving casually or quickly, yet still getting a close shave. The top cap of the 12C has the same geometry as the 38C Barber Pole safety-bar, but the base is different, providing a bigger gap between the blade and safety bar, where as the open comb has very little gap but more blade exposed between the teeth. Just based on visual inspection I expected the 12C to somehow shave unevenly where the teeth are, but I have never found this to be the case. The 38C also shaves well but is a notch below the open comb in overall performance IMO. It is interesting to note that even safety bar razors like the 38C have ridges, supposedly to help channel away the lather, in that way one could think of them as 1/10 open comb or at least a beveled safety bar, giving a nod to the original open comb design.

I think King Gillette had it right in the beginning.

After getting my goodfella I now see what open combs are all about. I have to admit it is one of the most forgiving razors i have used yet. It can't / won't shave as close as my Merkurs but it seems to allow for a quick and gentile shave. If i am looking for that BBS shave I'll pick up the Merkur, but if i need a quick shave I'll look to the goodfella. It has opened my eyes to check out more open combs in the future.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The aggressivness of a razor is defined by the blade gap. The bigger the gap, the more aggressive. Open or closed comb, it doesn't matter.

A Goodfella (that I never tried) is supposed to be very mild. The old style R89 Muhle Pinsel (or Edwin Jagger) is super aggressive!

As mentionned up here, the lather will be picked up by the blade instead of the bar. I see right away if I have 'tooth' marks that my angle is wrong. Otherwise, it shaves the same. Like a slant, one should try any open comb at least once!

i think people say open combs are more agressive, just because lots of the open combs were made for use with old thicker blades, so thin blades flex differently and make them more agressive.

like shave cat said, my understanding was that they were used to keep the combs on the skin, with long beard hair going between the combs. A safety bar would ride over the top of a beard, not getting close enough to the skin for a good shave

I am looking to order a BP and was trying to determine whether to get an open or closed. I was under the impression that opens were more aggressive but now that sounds subjective instead of certain? I am getting out of a Slant due to it beign too aggressive so for those who think that open is more aggressive, is it as aggressive as a Slant?

I am looking to order a BP and was trying to determine whether to get an open or closed. I was under the impression that opens were more aggressive but now that sounds subjective instead of certain? I am getting out of a Slant due to it beign too aggressive so for those who think that open is more aggressive, is it as aggressive as a Slant?

All open comb razors were not created equal. The Gillette Old Type and New Improved were designed for the older, thicker 3 hole blade. They are more aggressive then the New and the TTO razors that followed them that were designed for the new, thinner blades. I find the New head, short or long tooth, can give a smoother shave then the more modern closed comb designs. The bottom line is you should know what to expect before you buy that open comb razor.

Len

Top Bottom