What's new

Relapsing or back on the Edge

I was wondering if anyone here knows of any wetshaver(s), who after at least a month or two of practicing it, reverted back to living on the Edge in a Foamy/Mach3 world. I've recently converted my brother-in-laws, and now they frequently discuss shaving, as if it were a hobby to them-which it is to many of us. This got me thinking that it is hard to see going back. Therefore, I would be very curious as to what the rationale of a reverter may be.

If you know of any, I'd like to know.

Thanks for your time.

I think there are some people who go back to a cartridge razor, finding that the DE is not for them, but I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't still keep their brush, and superior quality shaving cream/ soap. :tongue_sm

I've considered it; I generally used the disposable version of the cartridge razors, and "high end" foam or gel (Nivea, Proraso, Mary Kay, etc...)

After learning the right techniques using my DE razors, the times I've gone back to the disposable & gel, I've gotten consistently EXCELLENT shaves- on par or better than the best DE shaves.

The main things keeping me using the DE razors are:

• I'm a cheapskate, and I can buy a bunch of creams/soaps/gear for the same total amount of money as with the disposables and canned gels.
  • I like the challenge of giving myself consistently good shaves with the DE
  • My razors (save one) were my father, grandfather & great-grandfather's, and I think that's cool.

I have no shame in admitting that I don't bother traveling with a DE; it's disposables and canned Edge all the way.

Some people certainly go back. This was discussed extensively a week or two ago when one of our own B&B'ers mentioned he was switching back to M3 cartridges (but not back to canned goo). I switched back to the Sensor for awhile, but have recently been shaving with a Schick injector. I also bought some Kai blades so maybe next week I can fire up either the Tech or the SS and give it another try.

I like having options. :cool:

Some people certainly go back. This was discussed extensively a week or two ago when one of our own B&B'ers mentioned he was switching back to M3 cartridges (but not back to canned goo). I switched back to the Sensor for awhile, but have recently been shaving with a Schick injector. I also bought some Kai blades so maybe next week I can fire up either the Tech or the SS and give it another try.

I like having options. :cool:

I like having options too:

I have about 8 different DE razors, 5 SE Gems (soon to be six), a Schick Injector, and a Bump Fighter Trac II w/ about 25 blades. At some point I will either need to revisit the Trac II, or make sure it finds a new home. :thumbup1::thumbup1:

Sorry I cannot switch back.. I shave daily and enjoy every bit of it! I am almost out of Tabac *time to buy a puck*...

Cheers,

I've considered it, mainly because of time constraints. It takes me longer to shave with a DE razor. With my Fusion Power, I could finish a one-pass shave in under 10 minutes, and would have called it CCS. It takes me 2 passes to achieve that with my DE razor, but takes over 20min. A third ATG pass gets me close to BBS, but well over 30min total. The reason I'm still sticking to DE is a) shaves are superior and b) I'm still new at this, hopefully can reduce time further as technique evolves. I could not even consider BBS (or going ATG) with cartridges.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've considered it, mainly because of time constraints. It takes me longer to shave with a DE razor. With my Fusion Power, I could finish a one-pass shave in under 10 minutes, and would have called it CCS. It takes me 2 passes to achieve that with my DE razor, but takes over 20min. A third ATG pass gets me close to BBS, but well over 30min total. The reason I'm still sticking to DE is a) shaves are superior and b) I'm still new at this, hopefully can reduce time further as technique evolves. I could not even consider BBS (or going ATG) with cartridges.

When I have seen it discussed, time is usually the blamed culprit. Of course, the time it takes to do a quality shave with a DE and brush / soap does take longer - at first.
With practice, the daily shave takes no more time than the cartridge and goop, but some of the guys who go back just don't have the patience or will to stick with it till their skill improves.
I take more time shaving now than I did before, because I want to. I like the personal self pampering time. But some folks can't seem to either get up earlier, or leave later, which is your only choice if you want to take your time.
But, then again, everyone can't be a Doctor, the world needs ditch diggers, and it would be a boring place if we all had the same preferences.
And, as an added bonus - those guys won't be bidding against me when I find a tasty razor on the bay!!!

Last edited:
Of course it takes me longer to shave now then it did with Goop and Cartridge in the shower. But I enjoy myself so much more. And it doesn't take THAT long. I can do a pass on my head with Headblade and 3 passes on my face with DE in less than 30 minutes including mixing lather, shaving, moisturizing, clean-up.

Thanks for the responses. It seems odd that some folks go back to Mach 3s and the like, just on the basis of cost alone. I quit the disposable dual/triple blades b/c I believe that the quality control is off. When you think of it, each of the multi-edges must be perfectly aligned to get a smooth shave, which I don't think is trivial. With the Quattro, you get four chances to align blades, so I assume they give a smoother shave than the Mach 3.
I wonder if Mach 3s are popular in Europe, or is its success here due to marketing a la USA style.

Thanks for the responses. It seems odd that some folks go back to Mach 3s and the like, just on the basis of cost alone. I quit the disposable dual/triple blades b/c I believe that the quality control is off. When you think of it, each of the multi-edges must be perfectly aligned to get a smooth shave, which I don't think is trivial. With the Quattro, you get four chances to align blades, so I assume they give a smoother shave than the Mach 3. .....

This doesn't make any sense in light of your prior sentence. Seems to me that it is just one more chance for that alignment to be slightly off.

By the way, I've used both razors and to me the M3 is superior to the Quattro.

there was a brief period about 2-3 months ago where I went back to my fusion. I only did it out of laziness. I'm back to my normal routine with the safety razor though, but I think this happened because I scored some decent used gillettes last week that I wanted to try. I think the key is to space out the number of shaves you do per week. I tried it everyday and found it was more painful than to wait a couple of days in between shaves. now i'm hooked again

Top Bottom