What's new

Badgers and beard lifting

Question:

I've used various boars since the beginning of my shaving, nearly 20 years.

A few of the reasons I started using the brush/soap thing was:

1) Cost
2) The brush lifts and softens the beard.

When/if I get a badger, I wonder about 2). The cost issue, well it won't be much of an issue as I doubt I'll ever spend more than $50 on a brush. But as far as "softening and lifting" the beard, I've always wondered if a badger brush would do the same job as a boar. Seems to me from everything I've read about Badgers is that they would be too soft to do an effective job of lifting the beard. I understand the "softening" part has a lot to do with the soap/cream used.

But I guess I've always asked myself.. if I used a badger would I be giving up the beard "lifting" action that I get from a boar brush? Am I just buying a floppy shaving-cream generating paint brush for my face?

(and I have no problems generating ample lather with boar brushes)

I have not used boar (yet) but with the wide range of badger hair and brush quality, there are plenty that will soften the beard effectively. I have a very luxurious silvertip that feels great, but it's so loose it simply wipes the soap on my face. On the other end of the spectrum, I have high-density brushes that scrub and do a fantastic job softening my beard. To name two: Simpson Polo 8 and Rooney Style1/Size2.

Plenty out there - many at very reasonable prices. Good luck! :001_smile

Mason,

Although there is a lot of talk about beard lifting, frankly put it is a myth. A brush is used to mix a wet, dense, lather that will soften the beard. Neither badger or boar are going to be stiff enough to actually lift stubble. They will mix in the lather around the stubble which makes it soft and easier to cut. The only way to lift the stubble is by using your free hand to stretch the skin which will expose more stubble to the surface and make it easier for your razor to cut.

Clint

I agree beard lifting is an old barbers tale. No brush can lift stubble unless maybe you use a wiskbroom to apple lather. maybe if you shave 1x a week it will but everyday and every other day shavers? Nope.

Mason,

Although there is a lot of talk about beard lifting, frankly put it is a myth. A brush is used to mix a wet, dense, lather that will soften the beard. Neither badger or boar are going to be stiff enough to actually lift stubble. They will mix in the lather around the stubble which makes it soft and easier to cut. The only way to lift the stubble is by using your free hand to stretch the skin which will expose more stubble to the surface and make it easier for your razor to cut.

Clint

Yep, it's one of those that makes me groan every time I read it. As stiff as whiskers are, there's no way one will "lift" after a brushing unless

a) it gets cold and becomes a goosebump

b) there was a layer of crud over it holding it down (if that's even possible)

c) the hair is loooong. Like over an inch. Even then, not sure how it'd work.

My boar brush experience was limited to a much-too-large-for-me model; some day I'll have to try one again. On the topic of badger brushes and hair lifting, though, I generally agree with everything said here.

My actually value add (?) to the thread is to give a huge thumbs up to your sig quote. NO wrote some of the Hookiest (pun intended) songs of the past 30 years. :biggrin:

I have not used boar (yet) but with the wide range of badger hair and brush quality, there are plenty that will soften the beard effectively. I have a very luxurious silvertip that feels great, but it's so loose it simply wipes the soap on my face. On the other end of the spectrum, I have high-density brushes that scrub and do a fantastic job softening my beard. To name two: Simpson Polo 8 and Rooney Style1/Size2.

Plenty out there - many at very reasonable prices. Good luck! :001_smile

Well I would definately want to go towards the scrubby end of the badger spectrum. Thanks for the suggestions. Whatever a brush does as opposed to simply applying lather by hand, I've always liked it. I very rarely get a decent "brushless" shave no matter what I use.. but on the other hand, I'm not really intrested in anything super floppy that would only paint lather on my face.

Thanks guys.

My actually value add (?) to the thread is to give a huge thumbs up to your sig quote. NO wrote some of the Hookiest (pun intended) songs of the past 30 years. :biggrin:

one of my other favorites:

"You've caught me at a bad time, so why don't you **** off"

:lol:

and..

"Every second counts when I am with you, I think you are a pig, you should be in a zoo.."

Top Bottom