What's new

What ya think bout this gem ebay score?

Alex-

Congrats on your new razor. You now have a great quality shaver that is mild on the skin and consistently delivers superb results.

As others have mentioned you need to pick up either the Ted Pella blades or the GEM stainless blades from Walgreens to fully realise the potential of this razor. Carbon blades just will not do this razor justice and will rust/dull after the first use. If you alcohol dip/dry your Pella/GEM blades you will get from 4-6 excellent shaves.

Best of luck with your new razor--

Marty E.
ICPH Representative

Alex-

Congrats on your new razor. You now have a great quality shaver that is mild on the skin and consistently delivers superb results.

As others have mentioned you need to pick up either the Ted Pella blades or the GEM stainless blades from Walgreens to fully realise the potential of this razor. Carbon blades just will not do this razor justice and will rust/dull after the first use. If you alcohol dip/dry your Pella/GEM blades you will get from 4-6 excellent shaves.

Best of luck with your new razor--

Marty E.
ICPH Representative
yeah, why do that. are they ....why?
What do you mean by "alcohol dip/dry?"

For some reason I have found that even though the GEM/Pella blades are stainless steel they have a tendency to dull and oxidise. After a shave I clean the razor under running water then dry it with a towel. Don't dry the edge of the blade--it will dull it. Then I have a small glass of 91% alcohol that I dip the razor into--cover the whole head of the razor. This disperses the remaining water. I then either dry the razor or blow dry it (which is better). It's a little more work--but the blade will last longer and deliver better shaves.

When I did not do the alcohol dip--I averaged about two shaves per blade. It may be different for others...

Hope this helps,

Marty E.

For some reason I have found that even though the GEM/Pella blades are stainless steel they have a tendency to dull and oxidise. After a shave I clean the razor under running water then dry it with a towel. Don't dry the edge of the blade--it will dull it. Then I have a small glass of 91% alcohol that I dip the razor into--cover the whole head of the razor. This disperses the remaining water. I then either dry the razor or blow dry it (which is better). It's a little more work--but the blade will last longer and deliver better shaves.

When I did not do the alcohol dip--I averaged about two shaves per blade. It may be different for others...

Hope this helps,

Marty E.
thanks im try that.

Wow, THE Country Joe is here!

Take a look at the forums (blue, orange and white) GEMs getting popular and prices are going up. I bought most of mine cased for under $10 four months ago. Now people are buying them and selling them here and elsewhere on forums for $15+ Only a matter of time for there to be no GEMs under $20, just like what happened with gillettes ;)

Yeah when people say GEMs, we mean also Ever-Ready, as most people are saying GEMs as in any razor that takes the same single edge blade.

IE GEM 1912, ER 1914, ER 1924, GEM MicroMatic, GEM and ER 'G bar' or 'E Bar' etc
If you have any pre patent 1912 GEMS, ERs or Stars you'll be sitting on a gold mine soon :smile:

There's not many 'GEM' branded razors in the UK, I've only found 1 or 2 with the GEM name.
But there was heaps of identical razors (pat 1912) branded "Ever-Ready" for about $7 when I was buying them, as they did have a factory over there in GB making Ever-Readys.
Rarer to find them now though, only a few months later. As I said, they have gotten popular recently and supplies are drying up.

Anyway, happy to help, I'm sure you'll make a few sales now ;)
I might have bought from you back when I was looking at GEMs as I came across your website way back then. But alas, I don't live in the USA and you really should design a nicer looking website to entice these new shavers into buying vintage razors from you.

But razors 136, 143, 154 and 156 look good to me :smile:

Simple website, no bells, whistles or flashing lights, low overhead = low prices. Page up 99.999% of the time. Hey, I like it :smile:
It can be simple without being garish. Red text on a light blue background does not look good. Buttons that are just a jpeg of someone elses buttons, (add to cart/view cart), rather than clear text/button don't either.

I'm not trying to rubbish your business, I have suggested people check out some razors there after all. But there is major aesthetics issues on that website sorry.
edit:
That being said, there's some good razors there that everyone should check out and save themselves some ebay waiting/dramas.

Last edited:
Hi, actually the buttons came with the shopping cart, just haven't gotten to design different ones. Just another project.

Know your not trying to rubbish the site, input is always good.
Thanks for sending whatever busines gets there.

i like country joes, they have some good razor finds, im always late at buying, theres some fast triger fingers buyers there,

Top Bottom