What's new

What is best or recommended single edge razor out there to shave

but what kind of blades can you use? Can I just use regular razor blades?

No, you can't. Single Edge Gems use an entirely different blade, that is not at all compatible with the double edge blades you use in a DE razor.

See here, this website pretty much stocks the full line of available blades for Gem Single Edge razors:

http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/single-edge-blades.html

There are also "Ted Pella" blades, which can be bought here:

http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/gemptcoseblt.html

No, you can't. Single Edge Gems use an entirely different blade, that is not at all compatible with the double edge blades you use in a DE razor.

See here, this website pretty much stocks the full line of available blades for Gem Single Edge razors:

http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/single-edge-blades.html

There are also "Ted Pella" blades, which can be bought here:

http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/gemptcoseblt.html

thanks, im try get ever ready razor, if the gem blades dont work on my damaskees

I'm sure Dave will correct me if I am wrong, but the Damaskeene is a special version of the 1912 where it says Damaskeene inside the head and the handle is knurled.

I have tried to put a Damaskeene head on the ornate handled 1912 but it doesn't work as the thread diameter is apparently different.

I believe the rest of the 1912's have the ornate handles and the inside will simply say GEM, Ever Ready or STAR.

All three companies merged at one point to become American Safety Razor, and I can not tell a difference between the shaving head of the Ever Ready and Gems.

I'm sure Dave will correct me if I am wrong, but the Damaskeene is a special version of the 1912 where it says Damaskeene inside the head and the handle is knurled.

I have tried to put a Damaskeene head on the ornate handled 1912 but it doesn't work as the thread diameter is apparently different.

I believe the rest of the 1912's have the ornate handles and the inside will simply say GEM, Ever Ready or STAR.

All three companies merged at one point to become American Safety Razor, and I can not tell a difference between the shaving head of the Ever Ready and Gems.
There's many different types of later handles and a slightly different head profile in some as well. But my point was the damaskeene is a Pat 1912.
I was just saying to alex (the OP) that they already have a 1912 if they have a damaskeene

So, no love for the Schick or Eversharp-Schick injectors in this thread? Is this a thread for Gem's only, or are any SE shavers welcome?

If the latter, I nominate the 40s injectors with the bakelite handle. If this thread is for Gem's only, I withdraw the nomination.:wink2:

Why not? It just hadn't been brought up. :smile:

I honestly haven't gotten quite as nice a shave with an injector razor as with a Gem, but I'm still very early in that learning curve.

The injector razors (particularly the older ones) are very light and agile. If you have any concerns about head size fitting under your nose, an injector razor is positively cartridge-like in terms of head size.

One advantage of injectors over Gem blade types is that there are adjustable models out there. To my knowledge there is nothing comparable for Gem blades.

- Chris

So, no love for the Schick or Eversharp-Schick injectors in this thread? Is this a thread for Gem's only, or are any SE shavers welcome?

If the latter, I nominate the 40s injectors with the bakelite handle. If this thread is for Gem's only, I withdraw the nomination.:wink2:

injector = not a SE razor

Damaskeenes are a 1912, they were the earlier versions of the 1912.

There's many different types of later handles and a slightly different head profile in some as well. But my point was the damaskeene is a Pat 1912.
I was just saying to alex (the OP) that they already have a 1912 if they have a damaskeene

true, my says damaskeene inside, and GEM cutlery NEW YORK outside..heres a pic....

I think the Gem Contour is the best... very modern in appearance and made from Stainless Steel. Very comfortable razor.

u have a pic, sounds nice

Here you are. Side by side with a g-bar:
proxy.php

It's longer than a g-bar and the handle and head are stainless. It opens with a push button and the plastic grip makes it very comfortable to hold. There's not much said about this razor on the forum.

Top Bottom