What's new

Semogue 1305 boar brush

I may go to a hobby shop or hardware store and buy some varnish. I may also try and use some paint to touch up and then use some varnish to seal. As long as I am not spending a lot of money on supplies. Then I might as well buy another brush :)

I may go to a hobby shop or hardware store and buy some varnish. I may also try and use some paint to touch up and then use some varnish to seal. As long as I am not spending a lot of money on supplies. Then I might as well buy another brush :)

You may want to try some sandable/paintable waterproof wood putty.

You may want to try some sandable/paintable waterproof wood putty.

Maybe next time. I think it is coming along great. I sanded it a bit with very fine 400 grit sandpaper and then put 2 more coats. Even the 400 grit was a bit too harsh imho. I should have used 600 or 800 grit because I just wanted to even out surface a bit.

Maybe next time. I think it is coming along great. I sanded it a bit with very fine 400 grit sandpaper and then put 2 more coats. Even the 400 grit was a bit too harsh imho. I should have used 600 or 800 grit because I just wanted to even out surface a bit.

Hopefully there is not "next time." :biggrin:

Hopefully there is not "next time." :biggrin:

I hope not either but I feel a lot better that I found a good paint match and that I should be able to fix again if I have to. It looks better than I thought I can get it now but not perfect.

Before
proxy.php

During
proxy.php

After
proxy.php

Unfortunately my 1305 Semogue arrived with two tiny cracks in the paint which took away some of my enjoyment in using the brush.

I finally decided to try my hand at turning a handle on a mini lathe and putting the 1305 knot into this new handle. I had no prior experience with a lathe but I had a lot of patience and I believe it paid off.

Unfortunately my 1305 Semogue arrived with two tiny cracks in the paint which took away some of my enjoyment in using the brush.

I finally decided to try my hand at turning a handle on a mini lathe and putting the 1305 knot into this new handle. I had no prior experience with a lathe but I had a lot of patience and I believe it paid off.

That looks beautiful! Nice handle.

I've used mine several times and also performed multiple test lathers to speed up the break in process.

I think it looks fabulous, but I find its performance just mediocre.

Don't get me wrong, for the money it's a complete steal, but I cannot imagine this being my only brush. The quality and construction is superb, and mine has not lost a single hair. However...

For one, I find it too soft. Yes, too soft! I don't get any kind of massage when face lathering, and it seems to want to paint rather than swirl.

Secondly, it does not hold heat like the badgers I've used. I find the lather is room temperature by the second pass.

Thirdly, as noted by another poster, it doesn't hold much lather between passes. I don't like having to return to the puck.

Now, I don't want to complain too much, and I know many love boars and this brush in particular, I'm just giving my objective opinion based on my experience of this brush.

I still feel a decent badger brush will outperform this brush in everything bar softness of tips. I don't feel it provides enough of a massage for us face latherers!

John

I can see that the Semogue's are much prettier than the Omegas, but what about performance? 1305 Semogue vs 49 Omega anyone?

I have a 30005 Omega rather than a 49. So far the 1305 is not broken in to the point where I could make a fair comparison, but I am impressed and it is a keeper.

I've used mine several times and also performed multiple test lathers to speed up the break in process.

I think it looks fabulous, but I find its performance just mediocre.

Don't get me wrong, for the money it's a complete steal, but I cannot imagine this being my only brush. The quality and construction is superb, and mine has not lost a single hair. However...

For one, I find it too soft. Yes, too soft! I don't get any kind of massage when face lathering, and it seems to want to paint rather than swirl.

Secondly, it does not hold heat like the badgers I've used. I find the lather is room temperature by the second pass.

Thirdly, as noted by another poster, it doesn't hold much lather between passes. I don't like having to return to the puck.

Now, I don't want to complain too much, and I know many love boars and this brush in particular, I'm just giving my objective opinion based on my experience of this brush.

I still feel a decent badger brush will outperform this brush in everything bar softness of tips. I don't feel it provides enough of a massage for us face latherers!

John
I feel this way, too. Have you considered giving the Semogue 1520 or 620 a shot? It's much more massaging, and I'm sure it'll be as soft as the 1305 once it's broken in.

That looks great! How did you transfer the label so succesfully?

That looks great! What is the new handle made of? I ordered the 1305 and the 2000 a few weeks ago and they should be getting delivered anyday now. Can't wait to see the performance!

Top Bottom