What's new

What is best or recommended single edge razor out there to shave

What is best or recommended single edge razor out there to shave. im getting a few from here and want to get the best ones out there. thanks

Last edited:
I haven't found a bad Gem yet.:biggrin:They are all nice shavers and all models have their own personalities.:wink: The 1912 is often quoted as a good starter S/E and justifiably so.Cheap,plentiful and shaves the pants off every D/E I have ever tried.:biggrin:

What is best or recommended single edge razor out there to shave. im getting a few from here and want to get the best ones out there. thanks
What's the best DE for you and everyone else?

Everyone has their own opinion.
Some like the later models (micromatic, G Bar and Featherweight)
Some say the older the better (Lather Catcher)
Some like the ever-ready, which came in pat 1914 and pat 1924 models that GEM don't have, as well as the pat 1912 like the GEM does have.

As spinyeel said, a lot of people like the cheap and common pat 1912 model.
That's the one I found easiest to use, and the one I use myself every day.

The 1912 is a great little shaver.

I prefer the older Lather Catcher style but mostly because I like the looks.

The one thing I think Lather Catchers have over the 1912s from a functional point of view is that they are lighter weight. Others may hold the opposite opinion and prefer the little added heft of the 1912s. After all, the Merkur HD is popular because of its weight.

I think the Gem Contour is the best... very modern in appearance and made from Stainless Steel. Very comfortable razor.

I would have to agree that the 1912 is tough to beat. To me, it's the SS of the SE world. Not too tame and not too wild, inexpensive and plentiful and just a great shaver to use as the standard.

Tod

I too have not had a bad shave from a Gem of any variety. That said though, the Micromatic and the other heftier Gems seem kinda quirkey to some (especially new SE shavers) I'd have to agree with the rabble that the 1912 is hands down the best SE razor for those new to SE shaving (in fact a decent argument could be mounted that this is the best razor PERIOD). I'd say find a nice 1912, master SE shaving and then pick up a nice bullet tip open comb Micromatic and eventually a lather catcher. My inaugural Lather Catcher shave is slated for tomorrow morning. Many thanks to the right Honorable Dave Irving of the Garden State of New Jersey :biggrin:

You definitely need a 1912. You may find others that you ultimately prefer, but I've never heard of anyone having a bad experience with a 1912.

Others on this very forum have referred to it as the Heavy Flat Top. Is the "G"-bar the official name Gem gave the razor?

I just call it a great shave.

nah, its just what wes calls it :001_smile

I too have not had a bad shave from a Gem of any variety. That said though, the Micromatic and the other heftier Gems seem kinda quirkey to some (especially new SE shavers) I'd have to agree with the rabble that the 1912 is hands down the best SE razor for those new to SE shaving (in fact a decent argument could be mounted that this is the best razor PERIOD). I'd say find a nice 1912, master SE shaving and then pick up a nice bullet tip open comb Micromatic and eventually a lather catcher. My inaugural Lather Catcher shave is slated for tomorrow morning. Many thanks to the right Honorable Dave Irving of the Garden State of New Jersey :biggrin:

Godspeed :lol:

This ever-ready is one of my favorite razors....Walgreen gem persona blade.

proxy.php
[/IMG]

Top Bottom