What's new

Handle for a Mach 3

Having given DE a reasonable try I have decided it is not for me.
I have learnt quite a lot (from B&B, from a lesson at Trumpers, from trying things out) but have returned to cartridge shaving.

I recently tried a disposable which although the blade was very similar to a Mach 3 did not give me a good shave which I think was because it was just too light in my hands.

This led me to thinking:-

Various people (including Trumpers and Taylors) sell handles for Mach 3 (and Fusion) cartridges.
Obviously they look nicer than the standard Mach 3 handle.
Presumably they feel nicer (and better balanced).
Would I get a better shave if I used one?
Has anyone tried these Mach 3 handles?

I'm currently using a nice Rooney handle for a Mach3 cartridge. It feels much more substantial in your hand than the stock Gillette handle, and is more comfortable (to me, anyway, YMMV). It doesn't give any better shave (the Mach3 cartridge is still the same). Your shave will be as good as your prep and technique allow.

Bob

It feels much more substantial in your hand than the stock Gillette handle, and is more comfortable
It doesn't give any better shave (the Mach3 cartridge is still the same). Your shave will be as good as your prep and technique allow.
Thought that might be the case.
Still tempted to go to Trumpers and see how they feel in the hand

Anyone else?

I have a Rooney handle for my M3. It makes no difference to performance. I just like the look of it a lot more than the original.

Before I jumped into the DE razor pool I used a super badger brush and Mach3 handle set from Truefitt & Hill. Lovely matching set. Still use the brush but now the handle is redundant. Was nicer to use than a regular mach3 handle but didn't shave any better. The improvements were made by using a brush and proper shave cream / soap.

T&H do loads of sets. You might find one you like.

T&H do loads of sets. You might find one you like.
I like the look of the Trumpers chrome razor and stand.
As a Londoner I am fortunate that I can get to Trumpers and Truefitts fairly easily to see before I buy.

I was hoping (but not expecting) that someone would say "the extra weight or improved balance leads to a better shave".
As that is not the case it is harder to justify the purchase, but I probably will sooner or later.

My two cents:

If you're going back to cartridge shaving, consider the Sensor Excel instead of the Mach3; less irritation, similar quality shave. You can buy a nice Sensor handle from Merkur. Cartridges are slightly less expensive, too.

If you're going back to cartridge shaving, consider the Sensor Excel instead of the Mach3; less irritation, similar quality shave. You can buy a nice Sensor handle from Merkur. Cartridges are slightly less expensive, too.
I have never seen one of these.
Just did a quick web search and found Merkur MII Dual Blade Razor, which has adapators to fit different cartridge types.
Is this the one you meant?

My two cents:

That's what I used back in my "naive" days. The Excel has the most reasonable cartridge pricing in that overpriced market. They also seem to last a while.

Various people (including Trumpers and Taylors) sell handles for Mach 3 (and Fusion) cartridges.
Obviously they look nicer than the standard Mach 3 handle.
Presumably they feel nicer (and better balanced).
Would I get a better shave if I used one?
Has anyone tried these Mach 3 handles?
Better balanced?
If you're using a light plastic cartridge head, how is adding a heavier handle making it more balanced?
Now I prefer heavier heads to handles, makes it easier to use no pressure IMHO, others may like heavier handles for DE, but either case is still dealing with a razor head with some weight, and that will never be the case with a M3.

I don't hate the M3, but I don't think there's any point making a cheap cartridge system look fancy. Expensive handles to hold a cheap plastic cartridge I have never understood even though I used a M3 without any shaving problems for a long time. I'm not saying that just to put anyone down, but mainly because of the 'balance' argument. It's like waving around a huge magic stick with some blade at the end I have no feedback from.

If you have tried and decided DE is not for you, have you tried SE (schicks and GEMs/ever-readys/Star etc), that is unless you were a new razor only user as there's no new SEs. Forget it, I'm not doing that tonight, SEs are already going up in price enough as it is, no reason to make it more popular.

Last edited:
I have never seen one of these.
Just did a quick web search and found Merkur MII Dual Blade Razor, which has adapators to fit different cartridge types.
Is this the one you meant?

Probably. On amazon.com they called it the "Merkur Double Track." You can look at that and see if it is the same. It's priced at 50 bucks. Looks pretty nice.

Interesting point, which makes sense to me now that you have said it.
I have not tried SEs. Not sure the makes you mention are available in the UK

If you only tried DE shaving, I would consider trying a Schick Injector. They shave very similar to cartridges IMO. Blades are available locally too that work fine.

That's what I used back in my "naive" days. The Excel has the most reasonable cartridge pricing in that overpriced market. They also seem to last a while.

The Merkur Double Trac fits the Trac II carts, but comes with two adapters that allow you to use the Sensor and Atra carts as well.

The only cartridge razor that benefits from weight and balance on the handle is the Trac II, being that it's a fixed-head design. I see absolutely no reason why a sturdier handle would effect the shave on a Mach III. There's too much pivot on that blade for it to be effected in one iota by the handle used.

In my opinion, a fancy handle on an Atra or a Mach III is purely for aesthetic purposes.

Top Bottom