What's new

Variety versus Consistency

They say variety is the spice of life, and many folk on this board regularly change the variables of their shave - razor, blade, brush, soap or cream.

But does the face and therefore the quality of the shave respond better to a consistent approach?

I did a lot of experimenting to begin with and settled on a Slant with Swedes using the only brush I have with Palmolive (Green) cream.

To my great annoyance Swedes became unavailable. After I had used all my Feathers (sharp enough but a bit rougher) I stared to look around. Feathers, Iridiums and Yellow 7 O'Clocks recommended. I seem to be settling to the 7 O'Clocks and may find myself in another rut.

But, what do others find? Is consistency better than variety?

first, may i recommend you try the bluebird blades?

second, i think that variety is the spice, but each of those set ups should be consistent, in that you should be achieving the same end, via different means. A krona, ss, and tech, each loaded with different blades, can all provide me with a bbs, albeit it i have to adjust the details. At the end of the day, the gf gives her seal of approval and neither her or i can tell the results apart

I like to try a lot of different products, but am a bit apprehensive sometimes due to the fact that I really enjoy the consistency of a good shave.

. . . does the face and therefore the quality of the shave respond better to a consistent approach? . . . .But, what do others find? Is consistency better than variety?

There can be variety within consistency. I think the consistency does benefit the face, and the term "consistency" is, according to my own practice defined as using a brush, a shaving cream, a double edge blade, and a DE or straight razor every shave, stuff that you thoroughly enjoy using, as opposed to shaving with other stuff that give some degree of discomfort or lack of performance. This isn't a "microscopic" consistency, where a guy picks only one specific thing and takes a silent pledge to never use any other brand and fragrance again.

Last edited:
Labarum, sorry, yes I use Derby and Feathers. How did I get there? I bought a blade sampler and when I got to the Derbys, I said "this is it" and bought a bunch in bulk. I feared the Feather because of all of the posts about them here. A month or so later when I got around to the Feather, I had another "aha!" moment, so I bought a bunch of them as well. As I was experimenting with razors, I found the Derby to be more forgiving, but the Feather gave me a marginally closer shave for the same number of passes. I am happy with both of them.
As a result, I shave M-Th with Derbys and bowl lathering, Fri-Sun with Feathers and face lathering. That is my consistency.
Larry

Top Bottom