What's new

Best shave of my life ... using Williams!

This morning I had the best shave I've ever had. What surprised me about it was that it was also my first time using Williams Mug Soap. I'd read a couple posts about tallow soaps, so I decided to pick up a puck of Williams, which I had stayed away from previously due to mixed reviews on it and the fact that the scent is a bit strong out of the box. However, I found that the Williams gave me a superior shave with less irritation than anything I've used to date, and the fragrance is actually quite pleasant after the shave and goes well with Old Spice. I might be hooked.

Last edited:
This morning I had the best shave I've ever had. What surprised me about it was that it was also my first time using Williams Mug Soap. I'd read a couple posts about tallow soaps, so I decided to pick up a puck of Williams, which I had stayed away from previously due to mixed reviews on it and the fact that the scent is a bit strong out of the box. However, I found that the Williams gave me a superior shave with less irritation than anything I've used to date, and the fragrance is actually quite pleasant after the shave and goes well with Old Spice. I might be hooked.

Is this a joke? :lol::lol: :mad3:

Williams gives an excellent shave once you learn how to use it. One of my coworkers uses it in preference to Trumper's, Harris, and T&H. He's not cheap, he actually prefers the shave from the Williams.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I think Williams was the first soap I ever used. works well and inexpensive enough so you can throw two pucks in a mug so you don't bruise your knuckles as you whip it up . . . . in a mug . . . and it does take some whipping up effort . . .

Perhaps I shall buy a few pucks of Williams then and just mess around with them again and see if I can build a lather now that i've read that tutorial.

Is this a joke? :lol::lol: :mad3:

Effectively Yes!! :lol::lol:

The number of Williams supporters always seems greatly outnumbered by the number of people who hate it, and think it is only useful for shower soap (and those people are simply too frugal to throw a $1.00 puck of soap away).

I am sorry, but I have tried Tabac, and P160, and VDH Deluxe, and boatloads of creams, and they all overshadow Williams by 100's of miles.

Still every newbie needs to give it a try, just so they can have a firm opinion for it, or against it. It's a soap that you simply can't sit on the fence with....:lol::lol:

The number of Williams supporters always seems greatly outnumbered by the number of people who hate it, and think it is only useful for shower soap (and those people are simply too frugal to throw a $1.00 puck of soap away).

I am sorry, but I have tried Tabac, and P160, and VDH Deluxe, and boatloads of creams, and they all overshadow Williams by 100's of miles.

Still every newbie needs to give it a try, just so they can have a firm opinion for it, or against it. It's a soap that you simply can't sit on the fence with....:lol::lol:

A bit like MWF, no? And only 1/20th-1/60th the price of MWF...

Why is it that any time any one says they LIKE Williams, there are always a dozen people who have to insist it's utter garbage? It's not. If someone is getting good results from it, what else matters? I have used it, and used it a LOT. And right now I have some top notch soaps and creams in my cabinet. But I don't turn up my nose at Williams! Yeah, it's not Harris or MWF, but it works, it's cheap, and you can BUY it with no problems here in the US. It's very common and easy to get. No stupidly high shipping charges, no wait, no overpriced, overhyped soap.

Buy it. Try it. Be patient enough to get a good lather.

Why is it that any time any one says they LIKE Williams, there are always a dozen people who have to insist it's utter garbage? It's not. If someone is getting good results from it, what else matters? I have used it, and used it a LOT. And right now I have some top notch soaps and creams in my cabinet. But I don't turn up my nose at Williams! Yeah, it's not Harris or MWF, but it works, it's cheap, and you can BUY it with no problems here in the US. It's very common and easy to get. No stupidly high shipping charges, no wait, no overpriced, overhyped soap.

Well said!

I have Williams in my rotation. Not at to top of the rotation mind you but it's there. You can get a good shave with it. No doubt. I used it for a few years before buying a DE (which was another part of the shave puzzle). But the biggest gripe I have with Williams soap is not so much about getting it to lather, it is that it dries out so quickly. I'm at the point where I lather my face in 2 sections and shaving so it won't dry out on me. I'll lather my face first then shave and then lather my neck and shave. That's the first pass, I repeat for the 2nd or 3rd passes as needed.

For the low low price of a buck and available practically everywhere in the US, you are remiss not to try Williams. I bought it, tried it, and finished the puck up in the shower as a bath soap. Does it work? Yes, it does. The lather was thin for me, the scent OK, and it was a passable shave soap. But I have others that work better and last longer. But at least I tried it.

60 dollars?! Maybe shop around a little, you can get it for £5 :tongue_sm

Williams is available at every corner pharmacy and grocery store in the US, for $1 or less, $1.08 with taxes and no shipping costs. Even at $10 MWF is 10x more expensive and only about 4/5ths the quality, and the $20 shipping from the UK (which I'm assuming is where you're finding MWF denoted in pounds) quickly demolishes any illusion of bargain shopping.

Also, I think MWF is pretty lousy as a shaving soap, and it is unfortunately too ungainly to make a good bath soap. After repeated attempts to get it perform in an acceptable manner I threw both of my pucks out in disgust.

You know maybe Williams didn't work for you because you don't have the patience and haven't actually broke in a puck of it, which takes roughly a week or so. I mean you have only been on at this since what the beginning of June? And you've tried boatloads of creams and soaps? Slow down and take some time to get to really know some of this stuff before complete dismissing it. You might actually surprise yourself some.

I have Williams in my rotation. Not at to top of the rotation mind you but it's there. You can get a good shave with it. No doubt. I used it for a few years before buying a DE (which was another part of the shave puzzle). But the biggest gripe I have with Williams soap is not so much about getting it to lather, it is that it dries out so quickly. I'm at the point where I lather my face in 2 sections and shaving so it won't dry out on me. I'll lather my face first then shave and then lather my neck and shave. That's the first pass, I repeat for the 2nd or 3rd passes as needed.

This is interesting. The extra labor to lather so many times is it for the love of Williams or is it that its so cheap ?

I used to hate it. Then I read that pouring some hot water on the puck (in the mug) and let it sit for 24 hours, then start to use it. I tried that and it works great. It really does soak up lots of water and gets way softer and easier to get a good lasting lather.

+1 Thank you...

Top Bottom