What's new

Luc shaving journal

Thansk again for the comments!

I noticed this morning that I have a couple of scratches... It looks like I had a fight with a cat :lol:

The aftershave splash was a bit rough but it's all good now...

I currently have a borrowed razor stamped Made in England... I would need to have a look at it tonight.

That's too funny! When I was going through my learning curve, one of my staff asked me if my cat had scratched my face. "I don't have a cat," I said. She just looked at me, "Oh." Ha ha ha. I told what they were... I don't know what she may have thought was more weird, having cat scratches all over my face, or the fact her boss was trying to learn how to shave with a straight razor.

s.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
All right, got the strop, a Dovo Canvas/Leather. I tried it yesterday and I know, I don't fell like something is happening but something is. I strop with it yesterday going 2 miles an hour to make sure the strop is perfectly flat and that I leave the razor perfectly flat on it. I make sure the edge never touch the strop when I flip it. I'm getting there I guess... Will shave this week end!

Luc

Staff member
I am on my first straight shave this weekend Luc, good luck.

Thanks mate!

Well, shave #3 this morning with a Dovo strop (Canvas/Leather). Similar strop to Joel.

I did the 40 "x" pattern stropping before the shave. Maybe very slowly as I was trying not to apply any pressure on the strop and keep the razor flat on the strop. There's something happening, I think, but unsure at this stage...

The shave...
I did 2xWTG and 1xATG. However, I am probably going too quickly against the grain as it was skipping a bit. I tried sorther strokes. I see that I cut some whiskers but I'm not ready for ATG pass... yet...

I probably need to do a XTG in between (like a DE). No nick or irritation, I'm very suprised. I have BBS patches :lol: I also have rough patches...

I used Proraso cream, that stuff work wonders!

I want to do another shave... At the moment, it's not very good but I am expecting that so I am still looking forward to tomorrow morning! Each shave improves drastically :w00t:

Luc

Staff member
Shave #4 this morning...

Shaving-wise, it's getting there... I felt the blade was sliding instead of skipping. Probably because I use a strop instead of newspaper. I still have to work with the strop this week. I did not apply any pressure, I let the weight of the razor being the only weight on the strop. I did my 40 laps in X pathern

The shave itself... Horrible, I did cut some whiskers has I saw black dots in the lather but not closely. I didn't go against the grain and only did a 2 pass this morning. My beard is medium to rough. My chin is the worst area, of course. I have to mention the upper lip again, I don't know why, it's the smootest there. No nicks again or irritation, which is nice!

I tried to work my angle this morning. Normally, the flatter the blade on my face, the more aggressive?

Will check in for shave #5 next saturday. I will pratice my stropping during the week.

Luc

Staff member
Confessions of a shave-olic!

Straight shave number 5 this morning.

WTG, XTG, ATG :eek:

No nick, blood and nobody fainted!

I'm starting to undertand the stropping action, I do feel a better/smoother cutting edge (or I'm holding the razor properly now).

I would qualify the shave this morning of acceptable. Not great, not close to a BBS but I do have a few BBS patches. The problem is still my chin. I'm working on the little bugger. He won't give up and I won't give up!

The shaves are slowly getting smoother and smoother.

If I remember when I started with a DE, I was going very slowly, pressure was a very important factor, and I was still able to nick myself. With time, I'm going quickly and find that mmm, how come I didn't cut myself as I did a quick slide... I guess technique is in and I mechanicaly got it.

Hang in there straight razor, I am not throwing the towel!

woooooooooooooooooooooo!

I think getting a proper strop has made the difference.

The big problem with the chin is its hard to keep a good angle all the way around it, because you kinda have to keep adjustin git. Also, with your chin, if youre feeling cocky confident try a bit of a sything motion, it makes the blade work kinda like a slant.

The 'cat scratches' are probably from the start or end of your strokes, where the blade is motionless on your skin, so even a tiny movement makes it cut in. When youre lining up for a stroke, try resting it on the spine and rotating it down, and keep moving the blade off your face, rather than stopping on your face, then lifing the blade.

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Dunny, will try tomorrow morning.

There's a massive improvement compared to last week. Last week, my chin was maybe a 300, now it must be 700... Getting better!

Unfortunatly, I do not have the Bruce Campbell chin so it makes it difficult but thanks for the advice, will try tomorrow!

I still have troubles with my chin.

From the underside of my chin (on my neck) I hold the blade nearly flat on my neck and shave up to and off of my chin. When my chin starts to curve I don't try to change the angle of the razor, I reset and make a very small pass at the new angle. Skin stretching is key for my chin. I will also hold the blade a slight angle, similar to a slant.
On the sides, holding the blade vertically, moving from ear to chin, stretching the skin, I make a couple of passes, moving the skin to get a new area each time. I only shave the way to the point of my chin and then switch sides.

I hope this is helpful and not too confusing.

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Shawn! Yes, that's helpful!

Shave #6

1 minor nick, 3 pass like yesterday, WTG, XTG, ATG. I'm slowly getting that chin! Still not fantastic, ok looking shave for the week-end. The SRAD is gaining on me as I cannot wait to try a different razor!

Luc

Staff member
Well, another straight shave this morning. I skipped a few entries but I should be on shave #10 or 12.

It's not pulling anymore or skipping. I have to work on my angle (still) but I think I'm getting there. I still have stubble and patches. The more I use the straight, the closer the shave. I think my technique is getting better. The results are improving slowly. I love it! :biggrin:

Thats good to hear Luc. I think that we all had patches of stubble from time to time when we started out. Sometimes I still do, very infrequently though.

After shaving with a straight for about 5 months, I am getting better shaves then ever. I usually shave 6 or 7 days a week, something I never did with a cartridge, unless I had to.

Now you need to get yourself another razor. I suggest something big and wedgie!

Luc

Staff member
Thats good to hear Luc. I think that we all had patches of stubble from time to time when we started out. Sometimes I still do, very infrequently though.

After shaving with a straight for about 5 months, I am getting better shaves then ever. I usually shave 6 or 7 days a week, something I never did with a cartridge, unless I had to.

Now you need to get yourself another razor. I suggest something big and wedgie!

Thanks mate. Suprisingly my shave was closer today (a lot). I guess my technique improves or I'm getting better with the strop...

I already bought 3 other razors, I sent them to be honed... I'm looking to get a Thier Issard in the interim... :001_rolle

Thanks mate. Suprisingly my shave was closer today (a lot). I guess my technique improves or I'm getting better with the strop...

I already bought 3 other razors, I sent them to be honed... I'm looking to get a Thier Issard in the interim... :001_rolle

3 new razors, that's nice:thumbup1:

If you are able to find a 1/4 grind Le Grelot, you should pick it up. They are very nice.

Luc
I read through this thread with a lot of interest as I'm about try a straight shave, just waiting on the razor.

I think I might wait until the strop arrives as well as this seems to have made a difference (compared to newspaper!).

Where do you get your razors honed? Here in Oz?

Cheers

Luc

Staff member
Luc
I read through this thread with a lot of interest as I'm about try a straight shave, just waiting on the razor.

I think I might wait until the strop arrives as well as this seems to have made a difference (compared to newspaper!).

Where do you get your razors honed? Here in Oz?

Cheers

The newspaper is ok but a strop is a lot better. I didn't feel or see much when I was stropping the blade on the leather but, there's something happening as the blade feels sharper when I use a leather strop. You could always try the razor when you receive it as usually they are shave ready and ready to use. It will give you an idea.

I had my razors honed by Buckler in Oz. I sent them a month ago. He's working on the first one at the moment.

This is a good thread for comparison with my own progress; we both started straight shaving around the same time, and are both pulling in roughly the same number of shaves (though I just shave every 2 or 3 days because I like my ruggedy good looks with the stubble on :cool::lol:).
It already feels like I'm getting close to that DFS region. I'm almost tempted to get up earlier each morning just for a shave (but a morning sleep is such a precious thing, I cringe just thinking about giving it up :lol:).

What I found the most helpful in avoiding the raw feeling on the skin so far is using 2 razors per shave. What I guess happens is that due to my unrefined technique--mostly in the angle department--I end up dulling the edge as I go through the shave, and by the time I reach the ATG pass it's too dull to give a comfortable close shave.

I do the first two passes (1xWTG, 1xXTG) with a wedgy 42 Garantie Paris, and the last ATG pass with a full hollow Ern.
It's also easier for me to do the chin area with the Ern than it is with the wedgy french razor.

A question for the newbies only, as I am one too- do you use your non-dominant hand to shave that side of your face? I've tried both ways, and still haven't decided on which road to go down. If you do switch hands, do you also do the neck with it, or only the cheek?

Mike

A question for the newbies only, as I am one too- do you use your non-dominant hand to shave that side of your face? I've tried both ways, and still haven't decided on which road to go down. If you do switch hands, do you also do the neck with it, or only the cheek?

Mike

I'd really like to hear input on this question too. I just did my first partial-shave with a straight. I loved the result, but I was really just testing my honing efforts and didn't go any further. But I know I'm going to. It was such a different experience than a DE. And I love my SuperSpeed, but the feeling of actually using a straight was pretty hypnotic. I'm just leary of trying it on my neck and on the off-hand side (I'm a rightie).

By the way, my right cheek, shaved with the straight, is way smoother than anywhere else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom