What's new

Domenico Caraceni 1913 & Floris 89 Questions

I've read a lot about both of these fragrances and, in a perfect world, I'd send my gentleman's gentleman or my PA off to buy both for me. As it is, I was hoping to get some opinions from those who enjoy them. What is it you like most about them? Any reservations? Thanks!

I haven't tried the 1913, but I can tell you my thoughts on Floris 89.

I try to keep notes on what I notice about colognes I give a fair amount of use to. I find this cologne has medium to good lasting power and quite good silage. The notes seem to be something along the lines of:
top notes - bergamot, orange, nutmeg
heart notes - a floral array (rose, ylang ylang, ?)
base notes - more floral with a slight sandalwood/musk
Overall I REALLY like Floris 89. I find it to be a key component to my EdT repertoire. Because of how floral and powdery it is, I find it's not how I want to smell at times (a date with a younger girl perhaps), but it really has its uses and I do love it. I would compare putting on Floris 89 to slipping under a nice, warm blanket--it's comforting and extremely pleasant. As others have said, it is most certainly a classy gentleman's scent.

And I'm sure you've heard the fun facts, like that Prince Charles, James Bond, Kim Jong Yil, and, oddly, Inspector Gadget (??) wore it.

Anyway, I think this is one of those scents that is great to own and can be very endearing to the "right" nose. It's certainly worth trying at the very least.

Domenico Caraceni is utterly unique and wonderful. Check out the comments on it at Basenotes, the seasoned noses there will put it better than I can.

Domenico Caraceni is utterly unique and wonderful. Check out the comments on it at Basenotes, the seasoned noses there will put it better than I can.

Basenotes' reviews are indeed provocative. In fact, many of the negative ones make me want to Domenico Carceni as much as the positive ones.

Anthony--thanks for the great sketch of 89.

One question--would either of these fragrances be superfluous alongside C&S 88?

Might as well buy 'em all....and in the largest size possible (to save money). Be sure to share them with your servants, too!

I must confess, I hadn't heard of Domenico Caraceni, but I did enjoy reading the comments on Basenotes, especially this one:

"This is what count Dracula would wear if he really existed. It is the perfume of the vampire: bizarre and sensual, sinister and seductive at the same time. Perfect for biting a victim's neck at the midnight hour."

How can this not be good?

:cool:

I must confess, I hadn't heard of Domenico Caraceni, but I did enjoy reading the comments on Basenotes, especially this one:

"This is what count Dracula would wear if he really existed. It is the perfume of the vampire: bizarre and sensual, sinister and seductive at the same time. Perfect for biting a victim's neck at the midnight hour."

Surprisingly similar to the C&S 88 review here. I wonder what the appeal is in comparing EdTs to vampires...

Surprisingly similar to the C&S 88 review here. I wonder what the appeal is in comparing EdTs to vampires...

It could be a reflection of our subconcious desire for what we wear, especially our scent which is so closely tied to our primal instincts, to enhance our self-perceived male dominance, and what could better represent that self image than a woman/victim willingly, submissively laying open her exposed throat to our ravaging ultimate conquest.

Or, I could be totally wrong and it could just be a couple of guys thinking vampires are cool?

I think that it might also have something to do with the Victorian lineage of fragrances featuring prominent rose notes. Something associated with the metropole--London--but also with exotic fragrances like the damask rose that British traders brought in from Turkey and Central Europe. Sounds like Dracula, doesn't it? From the borders of Turkey to the UK...

If I didn't own Domenico Caraceni, that quote would certainly make me want to try it. Too bad it is so damn sultry out, I'd love to wear it tomorrow.

I think that it might also have something to do with the Victorian lineage of fragrances featuring prominent rose notes. Something associated with the metropole--London--but also with exotic fragrances like the damask rose that British traders brought in from Turkey and Central Europe. Sounds like Dracula, doesn't it? From the borders of Turkey to the UK...

Brings to mind one of DC's best qualities - its' seamless integration of the rose note. While it is one of the best rose driven frags I have come across, the note doesn't stand out. In fact, one might not even notice it without reading about the fragrance.

Last edited:
Caraceni 1913 is fantastic in my opinion. It is dark, dirty rosey and mysterious. "Darker" and more menacing than C&S No. 88

It's not necessarily tuxedo formal, but you better be pretty well dressed. Dramatic to say the least.

The Dracula comment from Basenotes is indeed what made me say "I gotta check this out."

One could indeed feel comfortable in a cape, slinking through the night when wearing it.

interesting, from the above post. on me the 88 is much more formal and i would consider it to be the darker of the two. As a matter of fact, i think of DC to be almost light and breezy...

Top Bottom