What's new

Astra Keramik

I had picked up a pack of Astra Keramiks from Giovanni way back when. Just 5 blades. The first one was amazing, so I was hoarding the other 4. Then this forum (which I love, and am so glad you guys got it started) introduced me to Melyus, who has great prices and is a lovely man. Melyus carries these, so I just ordered a bunch and decided to go for another of the blades from the old stock. I used it today on a "New" short comb. Unbelievably sharp and smooth. I am just delighted with these and hope the new stock is just as good.

Awesome story! I've been wondering about those blades recently!

I've only tried the Astra Platinum.

Have you tried the other two? I wonder how they all stack up, and which one is preferred.

The keramiks are clearly superior -- smoother and more forgiving. Blades are expensive from certain vendors and difficult to secure.

Board member melyus has them available at $19 for 100 blades. This is a great price considering this blade rivals the iridium supers and gillette yellows.

The keramiks are clearly superior -- smoother and more forgiving. Blades are expensive from certain vendors and difficult to secure.

Board member melyus has them available at $19 for 100 blades. This is a great price considering this blade rivals the iridium supers and gillette yellows.

Oh so you've tried all three?

I have some vintage Astra superior stainless (blue) from before Czechoslovakia broke up, pre-1993ish. Those are incredible. :w00t: Even the cellophane is really thick and the plastic box is "heavy duty." There was a card inside that I was able to partially translate - something like "do not wipe - rinse only." Really cool vintage. Plus it has a extra cool DE blade logo!

I've got current production platinums (green) which are practically my go to when I'm not experimenting or trying new blades.

I would like to try the Keramiks and current production blues sometime soon.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I didn't try the Keramik that you sent me Joe but I should get to it in 2 weeks top.

A member here sent me a pack of Keramik with a razor I bought from him.

Impressive. Would certainly get more if they are going to remain in production... I did hear a muttering that they were being discontinued... (can someone clarify?)

Impressive. Would certainly get more if they are going to remain in production... I did hear a muttering that they were being discontinued... (can someone clarify?)

I heard that probably a year ago.

Also i heard that but now still we have keramiks our stock. Maybe they will stop producing keramiks who knows...
Regards.

Do these have glue spots, too?

Yes 4 Serious blobs - looks like silicone.

I've been using Keramiks (from Melyus) for the first time this week, the jury is out...I think I find Derbys more comfortable.
(But I also have been playing with different soaps/creams so I want to give them a fair trial)

Razor is a black handle SS

Yes 4 Serious blobs - looks like silicone.

I've been using Keramiks (from Melyus) for the first time this week, the jury is out...I think I find Derbys more comfortable.
(But I also have been playing with different soaps/creams so I want to give them a fair trial)

Razor is a black handle SS

Stay with them. Quality of shave improves with age. Easily lasts 1 week plus.

So you gents are saying these are better than the Astra Superiors?

That I should try them Post Haste?

Yes. Its not even close. In a slant the superiors leave nicks. Also discovered problems locating the sweet spot.

On the other hand, the keramiks are much smoother and forgiving. Rivals the Iridium Supers.

Shipment arrived from Melyus. Fast and sure!. (Thank you M.) Analysis to begin in about a week's time once the current loaded blades are retired.

This morning I changed razor to a 1960 Super Speed (my birth year...:redface:) got a really comfortable close shave with a new Keramik,they're looking very promising.

Top Bottom