What's new

Simpsons/any new brush advice please!

I would like some help from you knowledgeable folk, who may have seen/used these brushes before, to help me choose for my next brush.

1. I currently own a Duke 3 in Best, and a Semogue 1305 Boar
2. Im a cream fan converting to soap. Getting to grips with lathering Truefitt and Hill soap, Floris Soap and Tabac (only used the boar for this - the duke is my cream only brush) Tend to lather in a bowl, with a smidge of face lathering.
3. As i want it for soaps, i would like the brush to be short loft, not too scrubby, and to whip up a mean lather with soaps. I would like it to be able to handle creams aswell.
4. I prefer cream handles, i love my simpson handle, but handle length and size is much of a muchness to me, its the brush thats important.
5. Dont want to spend a fortune. My Duke 3 is my top brush, so it needs to be less expensive than this.
6. I like Medium, possibly large brushes - Duke is the benchmark.
7. I like the look of the commodore x2, the commodore x3 and the colonel x2l. I think the commodore x2 is 22mm knot, the x3 a 24mm knot, and im not sure which would be best for soaps. Looked at Golden nib finest and silvertip also, but feel simpsons may be my cup of tea really.
8. This will be my last brush :laugh:

Many thanks

What is it that the Duke 3 doesn't do for you ? :wink:

If you want a better value soap brush the Rooney line seem better value.

The Duke is my top brush, i just feel that for soaps you have to be a bit firmer, and i dont want to get too rough with this brush, id rather use one that costs less for this task.

I'll give my best to try and help. Some of what I'll say will go with what I've heard others say and some from my own experiences with brushes I've bought. I really need to spend more time with the ones I have now... :lol:

If the Duke 3 isn't scrubby enough for you then it sounds like you want something with some backbone and density. How about a Best Chubby 1? Now it is about equal in cost to your Duke 3 at 120 dollars at leesrazors.com http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Simpsons-Chubby-%231-Best-Badger-Shaving-Brush.html.

But from what you say it really sounds like what some other suggestions will be. It should work fine with creams, I've never seen people mention it for creams, but the firmer brushes seem to overall seem to have little problems that I've read about using creams. I know with some of my brushes I only want them as cream only brushes. Too much of a pain to get the soap loaded.

The Best Chubby 1 has going for it:
The same grade of hair as your Duke 3 so you'd know right off if the hair is for you, plus you think Simpsons are your cup of tea. :thumbup1:
The chubby is as big a knot as your Duke 3 and you think you like bigger brushes
It's got a cream handle.

Against it:

It is more than the Duke 3 by a bit. Deal breaker?
Would the handle be too short maybe? I know this was a deal breaker for me.

Chubby 2 might come up and that's a monster of a brush with a 27mm knot. I can say myself I'm inbetween that. Bigger handle that I might like, but not sure if I could handle that much brush. Many recommend it all around as an excellent cream/soap brush, but about 30 dollars more.

There is also Rooney brushes but the handles don't have the cream color of the Simpsons. Rooney 1/1 is highly recommended as a soap brush, see that all the time. Rooney 1/2 would probably be more up your alley if the handle is okay with you. http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=476&cat=154&page=1 I like my lofts pretty short, but there are many that love the 1/2 and still recommend it for soap brush and should have no problems with creams.

Longer loft shouldn't be too much problem since as you put more hair in it stiffens it, so they lengthen it to counteract that. Hopefully I have that right from my observations, experiences, and what I've read. :001_smile

You really sound like you're in the same boat I am though when I started. Yes I like my EJ BBB I first got, but always thought, "I want something scrubbier." So I've tried different hair lengths, and types, and then I realized, "Oh, it isn't scrubbiness exactly what I need, but it would be nice. My face is tougher than I gave it credit. I want density! Backbone! More, more more!" Honestly I haven't had a brush yet that it has been too much there. Love the backbone and density of a very tightly packed brush. Oh and I think I'm falling in love with 2-band. Just what I need. As if brushes aren't expensive enough. :lol:

Hopefully I've helped you somewhat. My recommendation if it came down to it: Best Chubby 1. Myself I'd still like to try one, but I've imposed restrictions on my brush buying to sort through the madness of all the brushes, and that got cut because of the handle length. I hope I helped somewhat, and I'll answer any questions I can! Just really want to try to contribute back as there are a lot of great people here that are willing to help and I've gotten much help, and still am! Good luck in your brush quest! Oh and I got a laugh from number 8 too! :lol::thumbup1:

Thankyou for the in depth response, i really appreciate it! I too discounted the chubby down to the handle size, but i may go back for another look.

Its nice that you took the time to reply. Thanks

I'll give my best to try and help. Some of what I'll say will go with what I've heard others say and some from my own experiences with brushes I've bought. I really need to spend more time with the ones I have now... :lol:

If the Duke 3 isn't scrubby enough for you then it sounds like you want something with some backbone and density. How about a Best Chubby 1? Now it is about equal in cost to your Duke 3 at 120 dollars at leesrazors.com http://www.leesrazors.com/products/Simpsons-Chubby-%231-Best-Badger-Shaving-Brush.html.

But from what you say it really sounds like what some other suggestions will be. It should work fine with creams, I've never seen people mention it for creams, but the firmer brushes seem to overall seem to have little problems that I've read about using creams. I know with some of my brushes I only want them as cream only brushes. Too much of a pain to get the soap loaded.

The Best Chubby 1 has going for it:
The same grade of hair as your Duke 3 so you'd know right off if the hair is for you, plus you think Simpsons are your cup of tea. :thumbup1:
The chubby is as big a knot as your Duke 3 and you think you like bigger brushes
It's got a cream handle.

Against it:

It is more than the Duke 3 by a bit. Deal breaker?
Would the handle be too short maybe? I know this was a deal breaker for me.

Chubby 2 might come up and that's a monster of a brush with a 27mm knot. I can say myself I'm inbetween that. Bigger handle that I might like, but not sure if I could handle that much brush. Many recommend it all around as an excellent cream/soap brush, but about 30 dollars more.

There is also Rooney brushes but the handles don't have the cream color of the Simpsons. Rooney 1/1 is highly recommended as a soap brush, see that all the time. Rooney 1/2 would probably be more up your alley if the handle is okay with you. http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/product.php?productid=476&cat=154&page=1 I like my lofts pretty short, but there are many that love the 1/2 and still recommend it for soap brush and should have no problems with creams.

Longer loft shouldn't be too much problem since as you put more hair in it stiffens it, so they lengthen it to counteract that. Hopefully I have that right from my observations, experiences, and what I've read. :001_smile

You really sound like you're in the same boat I am though when I started. Yes I like my EJ BBB I first got, but always thought, "I want something scrubbier." So I've tried different hair lengths, and types, and then I realized, "Oh, it isn't scrubbiness exactly what I need, but it would be nice. My face is tougher than I gave it credit. I want density! Backbone! More, more more!" Honestly I haven't had a brush yet that it has been too much there. Love the backbone and density of a very tightly packed brush. Oh and I think I'm falling in love with 2-band. Just what I need. As if brushes aren't expensive enough. :lol:

Hopefully I've helped you somewhat. My recommendation if it came down to it: Best Chubby 1. Myself I'd still like to try one, but I've imposed restrictions on my brush buying to sort through the madness of all the brushes, and that got cut because of the handle length. I hope I helped somewhat, and I'll answer any questions I can! Just really want to try to contribute back as there are a lot of great people here that are willing to help and I've gotten much help, and still am! Good luck in your brush quest! Oh and I got a laugh from number 8 too! :lol::thumbup1:

:thumbup1: Wow, Plain Old Joe, is all about what this forum is...good service and advice.
Also you might want to consider the Rooney Heritages.

I found the chubby handle was not a liability for me and I have big hands. It is an adjustment to use of you are used to larger handled brushes.

In the Pre Vulfix days a lot of folks would say that the Duke 3 and Chubby 1 were very similar brushes in terms of performance characteristics.

When did you buy your Duke? Some of the early Vulfix Simpsons were purported to be floppier than original Simpsons brushes. The Duke 3 generally has an awesome reputation as a firm, scrubby soap brush.

Thanks, i bought the duke about 3 months ago, its very dense and firm. I just dont want to be too rough with it!

Anyone know what the Duke 3 in pure is like? Is their pure hair any good?

Cheers

It sounds to me like you are describing the Duke 3 to a "T" in what you are looking for in a new brush. I would recommend sticking with what you have for now and not over thinking this issue. The Duke 3 is fine for either creams or soaps. There really is no need to have a dedicated soap or cream brush. That is mere shave-geekery.

Scott

Top Bottom