What's new

Best shave soap value out there

In my opinion it is Tabac.

$10-12 a puck.

It will last me probably 3-4 years as part of a rotation (it's been a year and a half already, and have not made much of a a dent, and this was my #1 used soap until I recently went a bit crazy with the soaps...).

The lather/shave quality is almost, almost as good as any other soap out there. Penhaligon's may have it beat. Old style Trumper's may edge it out as well, but in those cases you are going to have to pay through the nose for just that *little* bit extra.

Valobra shave stick may also edge it in lather slickness for me, but gram for gram that costs almost double the Tabac (still a fantastic deal, get some of that too!)

For those who do not care for Tabac's fragrance, they'll be paying through the nose everytime they use it!:lol:

Palmolive stick, £0.20.

Used to hate the scent, now actually quite enjoy it. It smells 'green' :). Lather is excellent, unlike most budget items, it does give the more revered brands a run for their money, imo.

The best value is bulk shaving soap base. $3-$5 a pound and you can make it any scent you want.

Tabac is VERY good though. I love it

For true value, I'd say either VDH, Conk's or even Williams soaps. For less than a buck, a puck of Williams lasts for months, even a year or so.

For true value, I'd say either VDH, Conk's or even Williams soaps. For less than a buck, a puck of Williams lasts for months, even a year or so.

That puck is also half the size of a normal puck of soap.

And then you have to consider the lather.....

I would have to say that it is MWF, but only if bought from the UK. You can get it for around $8 for the refill puck that is 125g. I still don't know if I really like this soap or not yet, but price wise it so cheap and shipping is really cheap too.

If price is a consideration, Tabac is unbeatable, IMHO.

Williams is way cheaper, but it is smaller and it does not perform in the same league as Tabac. Tabac, on the other hand, performs in the same league as just about any of the big boys. Whether or not you like the fragrance (I do), is just a matter of taste.

As I always say when Tabac is the subject: Tabac is and always will be one of the great pleasures of wetshaving.

Enjoy!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I heard a lot from VDH but never tried it...

Palmolive is cheap and good. Proraso is not so bad.

That puck is also half the size of a normal puck of soap.

And then you have to consider the lather.....

Agreed on both points (although I must admit to having some success face lathering Williams). I'm just saying for a buck, you can't beat the price. And while it may not be the fanciest or best smelling soap out there, it is effective for the intended purpose.

My current soap however, is Honeybee Spa's Bay Rum, with a puck of HBS Old Spice (my favorite) waiting in the wings. I find them to be a very good value as well.

I am big into the value soaps. I agree with the Tabac and MWF comments here overall you cant beat them. I would also add P.160 or Cella (P1.60 $2.50 per 100G, Cella $4.40 per 100G). LOccitane Cade is a decent value right now at $10 per 100G for a big name luxury soap. As far as the English luxury soaps, I think the TOBS soaps are a decent value ($16 per 100G). Some people have been down on the TOBS soaps, but personally I have them performing on par with AOS but with even more genuine scent. The lesson learned for me is that soaps are a value in general because of their longer life per gram.

Palmolive stick, £0.20.

Used to hate the scent, now actually quite enjoy it. It smells 'green' :). Lather is excellent, unlike most budget items, it does give the more revered brands a run for their money, imo.

+1 for Palmolive. Wilkinson's Sword stick is very good as well and also inexpensive.

Top Bottom