What's new

Pumidor Update

Well it is up and running...well....pumidifying.

Back in June I posted a thread about an acrylic humidor that I thought would be an excellent candidate for a 'pumidor':

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94396

I took the plunge and have been happy with my purchase. It is not perfect but does a nice job without breaking the bank. I find that it is too small to store two large shengs side by side, so one side is full sized shengs and the other smaller cakes or tuo's. The humidity is about 60% easily, which is a heck of a lot better than the 20-30% here in CO, and that is with a single small humidifier. A second I am certain would bring it up to the holy grail of 70%. While there is no circulation such as a fan, as Ouch suggested, the door is opened at least daily and the aroma is wonderous! Here is a picture now that it is filled.

Here are my most recent acquisitions. As you can see I am heavily influenced by the tastings recommended here on SOTD. Most bought from The Dragon Tea Shop and our own birthday boy, Steve.

Awesome! I've been looking into building some sort of pumidor. The humidity is really low here also, and it fluctuates greatly between night and day. I think I'm going to try a tupperdor, since I have a million Rubbermaids.

I'm going to try out those humidity beads. They seem to work well, and are much cheaper than an electric humidifier.

What a lovely piece of equipment. Plus, you can always buy more to expand in a modular way. I think if I were looking at 10% humidity, I'd consider something similar - thanks for the fascinating photos :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

That is awesome!:w00t: You have some real nice cakes there. Out of curiosity, are those Mengku cakes the "Jade Dew"? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I just got them and want to hear some other opinions.

Great pics! I love the idea of displaying your pu while you control the environment for aging. Sweet setup!

You know, I was going to hide this in a closet, but enjoy having them out. Is a dark environment better for storage? All the cakes are in their paper wrappers and where I keep the pumidor (not always in the middle of the kitchen table), out of direct sunlight.

Very nice.

You have too many "gold ribbon" tuos. :001_rolle

Now let me try to figure this out. Could the motivation behind this statement have anything to do with the Tea Pass? Who's after me again?

P_K
Arghblech
Walter Sobchak
Joshua Da Silva
TacoBell
Ouch
_JP_

...oh yeah...Ouch

That is awesome!:w00t: You have some real nice cakes there. Out of curiosity, are those Mengku cakes the "Jade Dew"? If so, what are your thoughts on it? I just got them and want to hear some other opinions.

Are you referring to this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...52118&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_8754wt_1167

I don't know if it called the Jade Dew. All I know is that I like it. I first bought about 6 months ago with my first order from Gordon at Dragon and ripped through the cake. So it is a repeat order. I like it very much. I think that it is drinking very well now and I bought two....one to sip away at and one to 'lay down'.

Now let me try to figure this out. Could the motivation behind this statement have anything to do with the Tea Pass? Who's after me again?

P_K
Arghblech
Walter Sobchak
Joshua Da Silva
TacoBell
Ouch
_JP_

...oh yeah...Ouch

I put him up to it.
(Patiently waiting my turn)

Thanks. I'd never considered using a humidor: the warm months here are reasonably humid on average. But we do use a furnace during the cold months, and the air is uncomfortably dry. Recently I've been thinking about getting extras of some of the cheaper cakes and giving something like this a try, and maybe using it to beef up winter humidity. This box that you've found is nice and minimal, albeit pretty small.

You want your cakes to be in the dark, I wouldn't even suggest indirect sunlight. I keep all my cakes in a closed closet.

And the cake i was speaking of is this one,
http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Mengku-Jad...ash=item4a96d8903d&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

I am consider covering the humidor with a drape if I can find something appropriately Pu'ish.

It is this cake:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250436392047&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

and it is massive! Says it's 500gms but feels more like a kilo. Haven't tried it yet.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

P_K
Arghblech
Walter Sobchak
Joshua Da Silva
TacoBell
Ouch
_JP_

...oh yeah...Ouch

Nah, I have two of those already. It's just that there are so many better XG tuos.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Enlighten me please :smile:

I thought the Dali, Dream of the Red Chamber, Xi Zi, Nan Zhao, Holy flame 125g, Te Ji, Jia Ji, Cang 'Er 250g, and FT mushroom250g ranged from at least as good to much, much better. I have yet to try the 200g gong ting (yu shang) or 250g ancient tree tuos, but I'd bet the ranch on them, too.

Top Bottom